Premier Sponsor:

guangzhou

Mar 22, 2012, 9:04 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3574 views)
Shortcut

Landlord Arrested
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, looks like my landlord was a con-artist. The bank, three of them actually, own the house and he's in jail for some ID theft. Normally I wouldn't care, but now we have to move. (Local laws doesn't really protect renters much I guess)

The good news, we found a place to live. About 15 minutes from where we currently live. As many of you already know, moving is never fun, and usually expensive. (We have to pay two years rent in advance here) Almost got it save, just need to scratch another 2000 USD from somewhere.

All in all, kind of a pain in the butt, in the long run, might be better off with anew place anyways.

Just posting here to vent. Considered moving into my gym, but dogs are not very welcomed by our Clientele.

Another chapter for an ex-pat living in Asia. I'll deal with it all when I get back from Saudi Arabia.

Eman

bill413

Mar 22, 2012, 1:20 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Landlord Arrested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bad news. Moving rots.

I'm amazed at having to put up two years in advance.

donwanadi

Mar 22, 2012, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Well, looks like my landlord was a con-artist. The bank, three of them actually, own the house and he's in jail for some ID theft. Normally I wouldn't care, but now we have to move. (Local laws doesn't really protect renters much I guess)

The good news, we found a place to live. About 15 minutes from where we currently live. As many of you already know, moving is never fun, and usually expensive. (We have to pay two years rent in advance here) Almost got it save, just need to scratch another 2000 USD from somewhere.

All in all, kind of a pain in the butt, in the long run, might be better off with anew place anyways.

Just posting here to vent. Considered moving into my gym, but dogs are not very welcomed by our Clientele.

Another chapter for an ex-pat living in Asia. I'll deal with it all when I get back from Saudi Arabia.

Eman

Two years in advance?! Do they provide you with proof of insurance? What protection do you have from your landlord? That's A LOT of money to pay in advance!

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Landlord Arrested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brazil is similar: one year's rent is not necessarily normal, but it certainly isn't unheard of either.

Not sure about Indonesia, but the problem here is no one trusts anyone. Everyone thinks he's going to get ripped off. The other problem is that people do get ripped off on a regular basis.

Some cultures are just wired differently.

guangzhou

Mar 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Landlord Arrested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just part of life, good news is we were planning on moving in the fall anyways, this just pushes up the process bit.

A lot of South East Asia requires Annual and sometime two years rents.

You get a contract, but if the landlord can fool three banks into giving him money on the same house, he knows how to fake contracts.

The new house we're moving to is two doors down from the landlord, walk passed his house for over a year and made small talk on occasion. Much better situation for sure.

pinktricam

Mar 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All things happen for a reason...best of luck!

guangzhou

Mar 24, 2012, 9:01 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Landlord Arrested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why kind of crap is that PTC.

Partner j_ung

Mar 24, 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you lose money on the current lease, too?

pinktricam

Mar 24, 2012, 1:29 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Landlord Arrested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sheesh, ya look on the bright side, ya wish a guy good fortune and he gets all butt hurt!

guangzhou

Mar 27, 2012, 2:25 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Landlord Arrested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Did you lose money on the current lease, too?

No, mostly because the bank that took the house has been dealing with us for a couple of months now. They will let us stay until our lease is up, we have first bid on the house if we want to buy it, not interested.

Bank is being kool. We found a house, we'll start moving in the next couple of week, be gone before the end of next month.

We were planning on staying where we were, once your enitial two years are up, it's easy to pay year to year.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook