Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dr_feelgood

Mar 19, 2012, 4:52 PM
Post #26 of 35 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
[image]http://thedarkblade.com/wp-content/uploads/SOG-Fusion-Spirit-Knife.jpg[/image]

This one. Pops up on Steep and Cheap every once in a while too.

That is a dagger. It is very effective for stabbing flesh. Not so effective as a utility knife. For these reasons, they are illegal in many states (including more weapon friendly states like Texas).
No, you fool. It is the tip of a spear. Last time I checked, spears ain't illegal.

donwanadi

Mar 19, 2012, 4:59 PM
Post #27 of 35 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
[image]http://thedarkblade.com/wp-content/uploads/SOG-Fusion-Spirit-Knife.jpg[/image]

That is a dagger. It is very effective for stabbing flesh. Not so effective as a utility knife. For these reasons, they are illegal in many states (including more weapon friendly states like Texas).
No, you fool. It is the tip of a spear. Last time I checked, spears ain't illegal.

It fits the definition of a dagger. The fact that it can be added to a broomstick to make some World of Warcraft player's playtime demon fighting apparatus is irrelevant.

Do you carry a spear when you climb, fool?

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Mar 19, 2012, 7:26 PM)

shotwell

Mar 20, 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #28 of 35 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

It fits the definition of a dagger. The fact that it can be added to a broomstick to make some World of Warcraft player's playtime demon fighting apparatus is irrelevant.

You don't? What are all those sticks sport climbers carry for then?

squierbypetzl

Mar 20, 2012, 5:45 AM
Post #29 of 35 (3102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

You don't? What are all those sticks sport climbers carry for then?

Compensating for other shortcomings.

dr_feelgood

Mar 23, 2012, 2:44 AM
Post #30 of 35 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
donwanadi wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

I personally do not carry the spear while climbing. As we do live in Montana, where there are plenty of grizzly bears and mountain lions, my girlfriend carries it for the approaches, and I usually carry some bear spray and occasionally a pistol.

Although I am getting pretty good with a bowstaff.

squierbypetzl

Mar 23, 2012, 5:45 AM
Post #31 of 35 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
...plenty of grizzly bears and mountain lions ... a pistol.

The pistol is to scare them off, correct? It's a serious question, because other than that or expediting one's own gruesome demise, I can't imagine how a pistol might be realiably useful against a grizzly bear.

pinktricam

Mar 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #32 of 35 (3065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
I can't imagine how a pistol might be realiably useful against a grizzly bear.

This pistol:

These loads (.500 S&W):

pinktricam

Apr 17, 2012, 5:52 AM
Post #33 of 35 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hillbillywannabe] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hillbillywannabe wrote:
I am thinking of giving a lady a knife. What kind of knife would you ladies be most likely to use, and carry?
This is not a knife that would be restricted to climbing.

You know, if you really wanted to show her just how much you love her (and just how classy you are), you could always have a matching set of custom made Kepharts made for her like the set I just had doneSmile

You could even have the scales made in a Micarta that would compliment her eyes.

squierbypetzl

Apr 17, 2012, 6:47 AM
Post #34 of 35 (2940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That gun is insane. Wouldn't it be easier just to carry a sawn-off rifle or shotgun or something?

What's the best way to sharpen a knife? I've read and watched videos online, but there seems to be conflicting info. Using a dry, fine grit whetstone is what most people say, but what angle? What pressure? Does one scrape the blade as if cutting into the stone or slice across it? Maybe diagonally?

I usually cut slightly diagonally, but I haven't been able to get a good edge on several kitchen knives. I figure they're crap steel but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Apr 17, 2012, 6:51 AM)

pinktricam

Apr 17, 2012, 4:15 PM
Post #35 of 35 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] What kind of knife would you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
What's the best way to sharpen a knife? I've read and watched videos online, but there seems to be conflicting info. Using a dry, fine grit whetstone is what most people say, but what angle? What pressure? Does one scrape the blade as if cutting into the stone or slice across it? Maybe diagonally?

I usually cut slightly diagonally, but I haven't been able to get a good edge on several kitchen knives. I figure they're crap steel but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Here's an excellent reference to knife selection and maintenance: http://ctfischerknives.com/..._knife_selection.pdf

If you scroll down to pages 6 and 7, you'll find some good and reliable information on sharpening.

I own two of Christopher's knives; a belt sheathed Nessmuck and a full tanged 3" neck knife (and I will be ordering a third before the end of the year). His craftmanship is outstanding! I could literally shave with either blade! They take an edge exceptionally well and hold it through lots of use (and abuse). My knives arrive pretty damn sharp already, so I just maintain the with a Belgian Blue whetstone (about 4000 grit). Belgian Blue is one of the best stones you can own. They can be ordered in the US from The Perfect Edge. The guy there really knows his stuff and is very helpful with any questions you may have.

I hope that helps.

(This post was edited by pinktricam on May 26, 2012, 5:36 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook