RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

will03uk

Mar 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3596 views)
Shortcut

I really want to improve, but how?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I have been climbing for a bit over a year, casually, once a week. I can climb up to 6b (french grading), on top rope, but only 6a on lead as I still am a bit fearful of falling when lead climbing, and I think it was up to V2 for bouldering (though I can't absolutely remember the level corresponding the colours at my local climbing wall).

Along with my personal target of trying to improve my technique to become more efficient, I really want to know how to train properly; at home I have a small hangboard, which I still don't know how to use effectively, and a powerball.

What training techniques would you suggest to me (I'm willing to put quite a bit of time into it) and are there any other ways, other then improving efficiency, to do along-side?

Basically, I'm very much a beginner who really wants to improve, so how?

Thank-you.
Will

rocknice2

Mar 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [will03uk] I really want to improve, but how? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

will03uk wrote:
Hello,

... climbing ...., casually, once a week...........

.......... trying to improve my technique..........

.............I'm willing to put quite a bit of time into it ...........

Thank-you.
Will

ceebo

Mar 24, 2012, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

will03uk wrote:
Hello,

I have been climbing for a bit over a year, casually, once a week. I can climb up to 6b (french grading), on top rope, but only 6a on lead as I still am a bit fearful of falling when lead climbing, and I think it was up to V2 for bouldering (though I can't absolutely remember the level corresponding the colours at my local climbing wall).

Along with my personal target of trying to improve my technique to become more efficient, I really want to know how to train properly; at home I have a small hangboard, which I still don't know how to use effectively, and a powerball.

What training techniques would you suggest to me (I'm willing to put quite a bit of time into it) and are there any other ways, other then improving efficiency, to do along-side?

Thank-you.
Will

Check the training guide for noobs, it's in this section.

Rocknice, how can i be cool like you?.

crjanow

Mar 24, 2012, 6:38 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

will03uk wrote:
Hello,

Thank-you.
Will
i wouldnt use the hangboard right off unless you just use the jugs and hang as long as you can. the crimps could strain your tendons till you get them built up. just climb as often as possible. you should just try googling this or use the search function. you probably wont get many real responces on rc.com.Wink

blueeyedclimber

Mar 24, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blueeyedclimber's keys to improve:

1. Climb a lot, but not too much. Listen to your body and don't overdo it. The body needs rest.

2. Footwork, footwork, footwork. And when you're done with that practice footwork. Be precise with your feet no matter how big the hold is. Keep your eye on your foot until it's weighted. Place it precise and controlled.

3. Avoid injury. See step #1. Your muscles will strengthen much faster than your tendons. Don't over do it. When you get to lead climbing, there is much more potential for injury. Take it slow.

4. Relax and do not stress too much about grades, plateaus, roadblocks, etc. Remember that climbing is fun but when too much emphasis is placed on climbing the next grade, it can take some of that fun away. This can actually cause you to climb worse.

5. Set goals. Set a variety of different goals, both long term and short term. Don't limit it to just climbing grades though. Set goals around specific climbs, techniques, and technical skills.

6. Climb with better climbers. Not just better, but motivated and positive climbers. This is probably the most important in seeing huge gains. If you are better than your regular partners, try to make time to climber with others.

7. Shut up and listen (and watch). Take notice of more experienced climbers, both when they talk and when they are climbing. You just might learn something.

Good luck and be safe.

Josh

Traches

Mar 25, 2012, 4:21 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Want it harder.

Also what josh said

Exen

Mar 25, 2012, 8:49 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed on what Josh said.

Climb as much as you can, I know I improved from casual climber to where I am, because I spent hours on end, each day, seven days a week doing it. And to reiterate, use your feet.

shockabuku

Mar 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're willing to put in a lot of time, put it in at the climbing gym (or on real rock). That will probably do you a lot more good than a hangboard. Try to get in lots of mileage but play with it as you go, trying to learn the most efficient way to climb instead of just fighting to get through the climbs.

Moderate your intensity so that you don't overtrain.

Definitely watch better climbers and try to emulate their techniques, and talk to people about what they're doing and why, but keep your goals reasonable. A lot of practice on good fundamental movement at grades you can execute properly is more valuable than floundering around on stuff that's too hard.

Colinhoglund

Mar 26, 2012, 6:16 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once a week is not enough, and it's not until your more advanced that specific strength training helps much, this includes hang boards. Your simply far too likely to hurt your tendons with frequent training. Get mileage on the rock (or plastic).

This summer I was climbing an average of 3 or 4 days a week. I saw some real progress in my climbing. However this winter I've hit the books finishing my degree, only climbing about 5 days a month, or once or so a week. You guessed it, I've regressed a few letter grades and my endurance is crap. However, the summers coming and I'll be back to 3+ days a week, I'm expecting another great season of progress.

Mileage!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook