RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

looseanchor

Mar 26, 2012, 6:12 AM
Post #1 of 5 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Good rappel harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a harness that I can use primarily for rappelling but also for some indoor climbing. I normally use a Swiss Seat and other hasty harnesses from 1" or 2" tubular webbing, but got a little freaked after reading about compartmental sydrome, so I'm looking for a commercial harness.

I've tried on Petzl, Black Diamond, and Arcteryx, and hung on each one. All great harnesses, but the only ones that felt decent were the Petzl Gym Harness (rented at my indoor gym) and Petzl Adjama (which unfortunately cuts off the circulation on the inside of my thigh).

I'm now looking at the Yates Mountain Warfare Harness, which uses wider webbing.

Any thoughts about an excellent rap harness that can double for indoor climbing? Any thoughts on belay loop vs. sewn-in attachment point? I know there are only 1513 posts on harnesses, but I've done extensive research on this and there's no definitive answer.

(This post was edited by looseanchor on Mar 26, 2012, 3:35 PM)

bill413

Mar 26, 2012, 1:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [looseanchor] Good rappel harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

looseanchor wrote:
I am looking for a harness that I can use primarily for rappelling but also for some indoor climbing. I normally use a Swiss Seat and other hasty harnesses from 1" or 2" tubular webbing, but got a little freaked after reading about compartmental sydrome, so I'm looking for a commercial harness.

I've tried on Petzl, Black Diamond, and Arcteryx. The only ones that felt decent were the Petzl Gym Harness (rented at my indoor gym) and Petzl Adjama (which unfortunately cuts off the circulation on the inside of my thigh).

I'm now looking at the Yates Mountain Warfare Harness, which uses wider webbing.

Any thoughts about an excellent rap harness that can double for indoor climbing? Any thoughts on belay loop vs. sewn-in attachment point? I know there are only 1513 posts on harnesses, but I've done extensive research on this and there's no definitive answer.

Any respectable climbing harness will work for rappelling. That said, clearly the Adjama is not a good harness for you.
As you've found, different ones feel better or worse - the advice I would give is to try on a harness, hang in it for a couple of minutes, and not make a decision until you've actually done that test.

binrat

Mar 26, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Good rappel harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not something like http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/rescue-harnessess/falcon-mountain or a big wall style of harness??

herites

Mar 26, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [looseanchor] Good rappel harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mammut Togir, most comfy harness ever, especially if you are mutant like me: I have to crank all Petzl and BD M sized harness' waist to minimum, while rise and and (fixed) legloops are perfect

edited for link: http://www.mammut.ch/...055/Togir-Click.html

(This post was edited by herites on Mar 26, 2012, 4:08 PM)

looseanchor

Mar 26, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Good rappel harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Falcon Mountain looks promising. Thanks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook