Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beginners go climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

d2reid

Mar 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Beginners go climbing  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Ouachitas: Mount_Magazine_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We had two good climbs today. You will need to stop at the visitor center and sign a waiver, then sign in on the climber’s log. There is a new climber’s route on the west end of the parking lot of the lodge. Two ways down, to the right of the sign is a water fall that can be down climbed, to the left of the sign you can find a small ledge that you can down climb if you are a pretty good climber or rappel if not. If you can, bring two or three ropes. There are places that have double ledges. The climbers trail is very overgrown and a good rough hike

After scouting we found “The Old Lodge Trail”. It starts off the side walk about midway on the lodge. You can see it pretty clearly on Google Earth. When the trail gets just past the east end of the lodge there is a user trail that takes you to the cliffs edge. To the left of that there is a cut that has an old drain pipe attached to it. N 35 09.792, W 093 38.679. We set up, rappelled and then climbed this cut.

To the right of that is another notch in the rocks with a large pine just above it. We anchored there and rappelled there. N 35 09.784, W 093 38.684. On the climb back up I reached an area that appeared unstable, so rather than chance dropping rocks on my wife who was belaying I rappelled back. She climbed over it without disturbing it.

Since I don't have the guide book and don't know the names I cannot post int he named route section. We are new to climbing, so would have to rate these climbs 5.3 or 5.4.

jolery

Mar 29, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d2reid] Beginners go climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Love that drain pipe - remember many a time climbing that thing up and down - got lucky and never slipped. Any more I take the hiking trail - it is quite short compared to most approaches.
5.3 at Magazine? I'd like to see that - my guess is that it was 4th class or over 5.7. Glad you had fun - Magazine is an amazing crag!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook