RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

photocodo

Mar 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #1 of 18 (10300 views)
Shortcut

how to make a self equalizing anchor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I was climbing today at Crowders Mt (NC) and there were tons of routes that you could walk up to the top and set up a top rope. I was setting up next to another guy who pulled out a self equalizing set up that he had tied out of cord himself. It was a great little rig and I was wondering if anyone here had made one themselves. Does anyone have any type of instructional on how to tie one, what size cord to use etc. I would love to see pictures if anyone has them. Thanks for the help in advance and I look forward to seeing some nice handywork.

Cody

jt512

Mar 28, 2012, 1:28 AM
Post #2 of 18 (10267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photocodo] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

photocodo wrote:
I was climbing today at Crowders Mt (NC) and there were tons of routes that you could walk up to the top and set up a top rope. I was setting up next to another guy who pulled out a self equalizing set up that he had tied out of cord himself. It was a great little rig and I was wondering if anyone here had made one themselves. Does anyone have any type of instructional on how to tie one, what size cord to use etc. I would love to see pictures if anyone has them. Thanks for the help in advance and I look forward to seeing some nice handywork.

Cody

Just a wild guess, but I'll bet you didn't bother to do a search before posting.

Jay

photocodo

Mar 28, 2012, 2:14 AM
Post #3 of 18 (10248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did search for it but mostly found people talking about pre-made anchors like the trango or metolious. Maybe I am not searching properly, if there is a post on here talking about how to make one I would love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks again for the help.

Cody

jt512

Mar 28, 2012, 2:41 AM
Post #4 of 18 (10234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

photocodo wrote:
I did search for it but mostly found people talking about pre-made anchors like the trango or metolious. Maybe I am not searching properly, if there is a post on here talking about how to make one I would love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks again for the help.

Cody

Search for "equalette."

Jay

justroberto

Mar 28, 2012, 3:40 AM
Post #5 of 18 (10205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the stuff you'd be toproping there will have double bolt anchors. Just put two draws/runners up and call it good.

dindolino32

Mar 28, 2012, 4:10 AM
Post #6 of 18 (10192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$20 bucks will buy you Craig Luebben's book Mastering basic skills. It will teach you much more than how to make an anchor. It was a great read when I began climbing and had a lot of pics.

jt512

Mar 28, 2012, 4:20 AM
Post #7 of 18 (10185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dindolino32] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dindolino32 wrote:
$20 bucks will buy you Craig Luebben's book Mastering basic skills.

Coincidentally, the price of two draws.

Jay

bearbreeder

Mar 28, 2012, 6:08 AM
Post #8 of 18 (10157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/...ineers/dp/1594850062

$12-19 ... chances are itll teach you more than youll ever "learn" on RC Wink

dindolino32

Mar 28, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #9 of 18 (10100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So after reading that book you can top rope any thing. Not just on bolts. Cool! But I'd rather learn how to lead, set gear and understand basic self rescue tips as well. I've read both and enjoyed Luebbens book more.

shockabuku

Mar 28, 2012, 1:51 PM
Post #10 of 18 (10098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dindolino32 wrote:
So after reading that book you can top rope any thing. Not just on bolts. Cool! But I'd rather learn how to lead, set gear and understand basic self rescue tips as well. I've read both and enjoyed Luebbens book more.

Are you referring to the book directly above your post?

The one that says "Craig Luebben" where the author's name goes?

dindolino32

Mar 28, 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #11 of 18 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my bad, i was reading on my iphone. No, I like
Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills because it encompasses more than just anchors. I thought that was the pic was the john long anchor book.

bearbreeder

Mar 28, 2012, 4:31 PM
Post #12 of 18 (10022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dindolino32 wrote:

the book i posted actually has a whole chapter for gear placements and many other things beyond anchors ... the information is quite comprehensive and easy to understand ... supplement that with a few sessions with an experienced person and youll likely be more than ready

learning to lead should be done with someone whos experienced, not with a book .. there are many intricacies to leading outdoors, especially trad, that i dont feel a book really covers it properly ... a good resource is chris lindners sport climbing 101 video ... video IMO is better for this particular part as it shows how to jump, fall, belay, etc in action

a better resource for self rescue is ... good examples and practical scenarios ... an even better resource is a self rescue course

if yr going to climb enough ... youll eventually buy a few specialized books and take some specialized courses should you want to improve yr understanding

Partner cracklover

Mar 28, 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #13 of 18 (9941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

photocodo wrote:

Cody

I was going to disagree with JT and say that if you're taking the trouble to ask about this here, you should definitely buy one of the books on anchor building.

But to be perfectly honest, I feel that if you are trying to set up a TR, these books will actually lead you down the wrong path.

I appreciate the work that went into these anchor books, and for the multi-pitch climber, there is much useful info to be gleaned. But toprope climbers seem to have horribly misplaced the concepts found in these books, and created ridiculously and unnecessarily overcomplicated anchors. Anchors that, while they probably look way cool, take more time, $$, and trouble, add nothing to safety. And worse - make you think that more is better. Worst case - I can even imagine cases where someone who's not familiar enough with a particular rig could screw something up badly when moving it from one anchor to another.

KISS. You don't want or need a self-equalizing rig on a TR setup.

GO

bearbreeder

Mar 28, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #14 of 18 (9937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the anchor book i posted has a whole chapter dedicated towards setting up top rope anchors ...

i dont know how thats misleading .. hmmmmmm

Partner cracklover

Mar 28, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #15 of 18 (9934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
KISS. You don't want or need a self-equalizing rig on a TR setup.

GO

And to clarify - when I say "you" - I don't mean just you personally need to KISS because you're new. I mean all of us.

I, personally, would almost never use a self-equalizing rig on a TR setup. It creates more problems than it solves.

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 28, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #16 of 18 (9925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
the anchor book i posted has a whole chapter dedicated towards setting up top rope anchors ...

i dont know how thats misleading .. hmmmmmm

My bad, I have not read the Luebben book. I know he knows his shit.

Having read the TOC online, it does look worthwhile. Better than the JL book.

GO

Partner rgold

Mar 29, 2012, 5:01 AM
Post #17 of 18 (9835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The home-made thing you are looking for, or should be looking for, can be found at http://www.paulraphaelson.com/downloads/acr.pdf.

However, it is becoming increasingly clear that self-equalizing rigs are defeated by their own internal friction and can not be counted on to be any better than fixed-arm set-ups, which have the advantage of not extending if an anchor piece fails.

So the best thing to do is to forget about self-equalizing schemes and learn to build solid redundant distributed anchors. True equalization is and has always been a myth propagated by catchy mnemonic devices rather than by any real testing of anchor systems.

It is realistic to assume that one arm of a three-point anchor will take at least half the total load. Build your anchors accordingly.

ChuQWallA

May 3, 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #18 of 18 (9242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] how to make a self equalizing anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I too thought that OP was referring to an equalette. I found this guide to be really useful.
http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/pdfs/EarnestAnchors3.pdf

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook