RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

junocarl

Mar 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Grand Canyon Inner Gorge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In May I am going on a 19 day raft trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I have noted that Grand Canyon rock is brittle but most of my experience is in layers near the South Rim.

Is it worth it to bring trad gear and a rope on a raft trip? How about bouldering in the canyon? I am certainly bringing my rock shoes. Help on where to climb would be much appreciated.

atg200

Mar 30, 2012, 2:59 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by atg200 [In reply to]
Report this Post

junocarl

Mar 30, 2012, 5:25 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] Climbing Grand Canyon Inner Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I am with a group of mostly non climbers and I hadn't thought of the fact that most cliffs will be multi-pitch and not developed. I will look for the Alpinist article about Caldwell.

The potential for routes in the inner gorge seems huge though I am not going to do any of that on this trip. According to my google searching the inner gorge is Zoraster granite and various shistes; those are often pretty hard.

Most of the people I am going with like to climb only when the top rope is easily set. I figure I will bring shoes and maybe a crash pad that could double as a sleeping pad.

semicolin

May 20, 2012, 3:58 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1841 views)
Shortcut

Re: [junocarl] Climbing Grand Canyon Inner Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently got off a 21-day trip in the canyon. No climbing, but did a few really great technical slot canyons. I used the book Grand Canyoneering by Todd Martin. Royal Arches/Elves Chasm and Deer Creek (especially) were two that I did and recommend, although there are plenty others that I hear are great but didn't get a chance to do. Just needed 1 60m rope, used throw bags as pull rope, and about 40' worth of cord for anchors. As someone else said, there's bouldering potential at many camps and side-canyons.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook