RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

SlacklifeNC

Apr 2, 2012, 5:18 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Detrimental Training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have heard that at some point training can actually become detrimental. I just wanted to ask if anybody has had experience with this, and when do you know if you are over training to the point where it becomes detrimental?

carla_climb

Apr 2, 2012, 5:59 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SlacklifeNC] Detrimental Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are several things that could happen: One is injury. Another is that your body doesn't have enough time to recover in between training sessions. After you stress your muscles, they need time to rebuild. A third possibility is burn-out: you don't want to train so hard that it isn't fun anymore. I have experienced all three! I don't know if there is a formula to tell you when you are over-training, but I know you need to listen to your body.

atpclimbing

Apr 2, 2012, 6:04 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too much training can indeed be a bad thing. It can lead to fatigue, performance decrease, and injury (acute and/or overuse).

Google "symptoms of overtraining" and you may learn quite a bit.

Rest is just as important as the training. Don't get hurt; injury will set you further back than if you had just not been training.

Remi9

Apr 3, 2012, 6:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try to put some numbers behind what is considered a good rest period between different types of exercises but really what it comes down to is listening to your body.

DOMS Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (the ache and stiffness you feel in your muscles between 24 and 72 hours after strength training) is "OK" and considered a normal symptom of effective muscle training.

Joint, skeletal and tendon pain is not "OK" and a sign of over training/injury depending on the severity.

Any strength training (anaerobic) (reps of less then 15) should be followed with 3 to 4 days of rest for the muscle group trained.

Any endurance training (Aerobic) has a much shorter rest period and is very individual specific. For example when training for long distance running, I was able to increase endurance by 10% every 48 hours.

derk424

Apr 10, 2012, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 6 (955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with what was previously said about rest being necessary to have the most gains.

But I'm curious how someone like Patxi Usobiaga can go 3 months without a rest day. (See progression by big ups) Anyone know how a human body can take that kind of punishment?

atpclimbing

Apr 10, 2012, 4:20 PM
Post #6 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [derk424] Detrimental Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some few people who, through smart training tactics and good genetics, can sustain inordinate amounts of training. Patxi is a great example of that kind of person. You might hear some call people like that "mutants".

Those people have also generally been involved in other athletic training or climbing for most of their lives. Don't look to the mutants for training tips!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook