Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Enchanted Rock single pitch easy anchor routes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lostthetrail

Apr 2, 2012, 4:38 PM
Post #1 of 3 (929 views)
Shortcut

Enchanted Rock single pitch easy anchor routes?  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

Headed out to erock this weekend and was curious if there was a list of single pitch, easy to anchor, sport routes.

I am only 5 months into climbing and feel comfortable with sport climbing basics for Austin. In case it wasn't clear, I don't know how to setup anchors aside from putting some draws on bolts hangers. I would be comfortable grabbing some runners to extend anchors though.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated

justroberto

Apr 3, 2012, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 3 (877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostthetrail] Enchanted Rock single pitch easy anchor routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sport routes are, by definition, easy to set up anchors on. And if you're looking specifically for sport climbing, don't go to Erock. There's only one route out there I can think of that fits the bill of what most people consider moderate sport climbing: Orient Express, 5.9.

If you don't know how to rappel, a common theme amongst the reimer's/greenbelt crowd, you'll have trouble getting off that one and pretty much everything on the backside. None of the anchors out there have the sport anchors you find around Austin.

If you want an easy toprope setup, head to motorboat rock or turkey peak. There are a handful at the far right of the Shield (Baba Wawa) and Buzzard's Roost (Eat), too. The guides usually have motorboat and the Baba Wawa area on the weekends, and Turkey is the realm of the boy scouts and their clueless leaders.

If you want to lead longer bolted stuff and can rappel, Ripple, Kracken, and the routes in between are fairly well bolted, and you can do them with a single 70m. I think that goes for Stranger Than Friction, too, but don't take my word for it. Pretty much everything else on the backside that's bolt-protected requires two ropes to get down.

r

lostthetrail

Apr 4, 2012, 5:50 AM
Post #3 of 3 (860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Enchanted Rock single pitch easy anchor routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Awesome. Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$57.31 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook