Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rockalanche

Apr 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #1 of 39 (7430 views)
Shortcut

Correct Anchor?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hello, Assuming the deck posts that the ropes are around are actually anchor with locking carabiners in them. Is this a safe and correct setup for a top anchor?

Thanks
Libby
Attachments: Anchor.JPG (57.4 KB)

nkane

Apr 7, 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #2 of 39 (7417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rockalanche] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd climb on it. Frankly, it's overkill.

Rockalanche

Apr 7, 2012, 1:39 PM
Post #3 of 39 (7405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nkane] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you mean by overkill?

Marylandclimber

Apr 7, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 39 (7367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its good but I'd take one long sling and connect them all then tie one figure eight.

qwert

Apr 8, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #5 of 39 (7273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:
Is this a safe and correct setup for a top anchor?
Safe?
If whatever things you are going to substitute your deck posts with are safe, then yes.

Correct?
While the term correct is rather hard to define in climbing, that crap certainly aint correct.

Obligatory:
Read a book, take a course, hire a guide, go out with someone experienced, u r gunna dye, toproping should be a crime punishable by death, etc.

qwert

Rockalanche

Apr 8, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #6 of 39 (7240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if you read what I wrote I said assuming the deck posts will be anchors clipped with carabiners.

And how about instead of mindless cold criticism you could tell me what is wrong because I don't have the luxury of hiring a guide.

jmichael

Apr 8, 2012, 8:30 AM
Post #7 of 39 (7213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your setup would be fine, its just too complicated. As anything gets more complicated the chance that you do something wrong increases.

My go to top rope anchor is a double length sling. The setup looks like the one on the left. I typically use lockers in the bolts as well as the power point, but non lockers are okay.

If you're using gear to build an anchor instead of bolts you will want three pieces, or if the bolts are questionable use them and back them up with a piece of gear. In which case you could build the anchor the same way just using a longer sling or cordellette.

Still your best bet is to buy a book. Both of these are done well.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=climbing+anchors&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2481253177915931265&sa=X&ei=qK6BT8ifNsO-2gXM0OTtBg&ved=0CFgQ8wIwAg

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=climbing+anchors&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16307402401673006903&sa=X&ei=qK6BT8ifNsO-2gXM0OTtBg&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAQ

(This post was edited by jmichael on Apr 8, 2012, 8:32 AM)

marc801

Apr 8, 2012, 8:43 AM
Post #8 of 39 (7204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:
And how about instead of mindless cold criticism you could tell me what is wrong because I don't have the luxury of hiring a guide.
Quit whining about the luxury of a guide and, as others here and in the numerous other threads on this same topic have said - BUY A BOOK! The ones on climbing anchors by Long and Lubben are excellent starting points. *Then* you'll be able to ask relevant and intelligent questions and not be confused when someone says your anchor is overkill.

qwert

Apr 8, 2012, 9:27 AM
Post #9 of 39 (7190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:
Well if you read what I wrote I said assuming the deck posts will be anchors clipped with carabiners.
And those anchors are exactly what defines the safety of your whole clusterfuck. If its good bolts, or trees, or good pro, then yes, you'll be safe.

If your anchors are self placed pro, that you place with the same skills as you invent anchors, then you will not be safe.

In reply to:
If you want to know exactly whats wrong:
You just tied some crap together without a having a clue about what you are doing. In a sport where a mistake might as well kill someone.

qwert

hill07

Apr 8, 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #10 of 39 (7147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your setup will be just fine, except if your a beginner then top anchors are out of your league. If you mess up, you die. Also instead of attacking the people who criticize you, listen to them and they will help you. Make more friends that way

squierbypetzl

Apr 8, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #11 of 39 (7074 views)
Shortcut

Re: Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Everybody bring it down a notch. Blue forum, remember?

The anchor setup in Jmichaels image is more than enough to keep you safe on most bolted sport climbs. Your own setup was a bit too redundant, unnecessarily so, and could lead to a mistake which would lead to an accident.

Most people use 2 opposed non-locking biners for the power point. If you feel better using lockers all around, feel free.

edit: upon further review, it seems I'm taking some things for granted. What knots are you using on the cordelettes?

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Apr 8, 2012, 8:51 PM)

bodie1kanobie

Apr 11, 2012, 9:58 AM
Post #12 of 39 (6878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:

o·ver·kill (vr-kl)
n.
1. Destructive nuclear capacity exceeding the amount needed to destroy an enemy.
2. Excessive killing.
3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end: "government overkill in dealing with dissent" (Jesse Unruh).
tr.v. (vr-kl) o·ver·killed, o·ver·kill·ing, o·ver·kills
To destroy (an enemy or enemy target) with more nuclear force than necessary.

you can find this, and many other phenomenally obvious definitions at: www.thefreedictionary.com/

jt512

Apr 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #13 of 39 (6864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bodie1kanobie] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bodie1kanobie wrote:
Rockalanche wrote:

o·ver·kill (vr-kl)
n.
1. Destructive nuclear capacity exceeding the amount needed to destroy an enemy.
2. Excessive killing.
3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end: "government overkill in dealing with dissent" (Jesse Unruh).

That doesn't answer his question. There's still a 2/3 chance he'll get it wrong.

Jay

shockabuku

Apr 11, 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #14 of 39 (6791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a mess.

You won't get hurt because of the anchor configuration, but it's like using an RV to drive to work - really not the right solution.

Use what the couple of pictures above show.

marc801

Apr 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #15 of 39 (6778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
That's a mess.

What I still fail to understand is why someone will post in the Beginners section an "Is this correct/safe/whatever?" question and then get all pissy when the answers aren't what they thought they would be.

CWMS

Apr 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #16 of 39 (6659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Overkill?? Anyone who says this is overkill please tell me what knot is used to tie the strands together, hidden behind the posts. Based on your assessments of "overkill" you must know that the knot is strong enough for the anticipated load. Maybe my eyes just are not up to the task, but I cannot determine what knots are used, so I say the anchor integrity is highly suspect, the opposite of overkill.

I would agree with everything else here though - there is no need to learn rope skills through trial-and-error in this day and age. Check out some books, courses, climbing club mentors, guides..... otherwise someone on your rope team will get hurt

redlude97

Apr 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #17 of 39 (6629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CWMS] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

looks like a rethreaded figure 8. not necessarily the knot I would choose but not dangerous

CWMS

Apr 13, 2012, 1:45 PM
Post #18 of 39 (6594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
looks like a rethreaded figure 8. not necessarily the knot I would choose but not dangerous

Agreed, no issues with the strength of the knot. My point is that there are 3 separate tied components, and the 3 separate knots are suspect as they are not all visible (to me) Assessing an anchor as "overkill" without being able to see/assess all components is as dangerous as building the anchor in the first place.

bill413

Apr 16, 2012, 5:49 AM
Post #19 of 39 (6381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CWMS - the knots hidden behind the post (assuming that there is only one which was used to join the whole cordellette into a loop) is actually not particularly relevant for the two outside legs. That is because those attachments around the posts are made with multiple strands, isolated from each other by the upper visible overhand knots.

CWMS

Apr 16, 2012, 7:17 AM
Post #20 of 39 (6347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
... assumingthat there is only one ...

Thanks bill143, you make my point.

Which is, never make assumptions when assessing any climbing anchor component.

cruxslayer

Apr 17, 2012, 8:43 PM
Post #21 of 39 (6197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i see your point about the knot. a self equalizing double figure of eight knot is pretty easy to tie and in my opinion would be the best option. by having 2 static legs one 2 anchors inevitably one will end up holding more of the load than the other(s). the self equalizer will put equal force on each anchor. just remember your critical rigging angle of 120 degrees.....so make the legs of your system long enough to accommodate this.

here's the knot
http://climbing.about.com/od/climbingknots/a/EqualFigure8Kno.htm

moose_droppings

Apr 17, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #22 of 39 (6174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxslayer] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruxslayer wrote:
i see your point about the knot. a self equalizing double figure of eight knot is pretty easy to tie and in my opinion would be the best option. by having 2 static legs one 2 anchors inevitably one will end up holding more of the load than the other(s). the self equalizer will put equal force on each anchor. just remember your critical rigging angle of 120 degrees.....so make the legs of your system long enough to accommodate this.

here's the knot
http://climbing.about.com/od/climbingknots/a/EqualFigure8Kno.htm

Maybe were talking about the same thing and I'm just not seeing the way you said it, but, the knot isn't "self equalizing". You have to adjust the legs to the length you want them at. Once set and pulled hard, the knot cinches down on itself and the legs remain at the length you set them at, even if one gives out. The appeal of the knot is it's an easy knot to tie and adjust different leg lengths while just using the rope for anchoring sans cordellette.

majid_sabet

Apr 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #23 of 39 (6153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockalanche wrote:
Hello, Assuming the deck posts that the ropes are around are actually anchor with locking carabiners in them. Is this a safe and correct setup for a top anchor?

Thanks
Libby

The concept of building a good anchor is to keep it simple, use fewer knot ( static) and easy to inspect with minimal use of gear and yet, safe to handle min 20kn of force in worse case situation.

majid_sabet

Apr 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #24 of 39 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Correct Anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
Everybody bring it down a notch. Blue forum, remember?

The anchor setup in Jmichaels image is more than enough to keep you safe on most bolted sport climbs. Your own setup was a bit too redundant, unnecessarily so, and could lead to a mistake which would lead to an accident.

[image]http://tawkroc.org/files/2010/06/top-rope-config-draws.jpg[/image]

Most people use 2 opposed non-locking biners for the power point. If you feel better using lockers all around, feel free.

edit: upon further review, it seems I'm taking some things for granted. What knots are you using on the cordelettes?

if you are going to use draws, both master biner and top biners must be the exact same kind otherwise, forces on one side is greater due to mismatch biner length. not a biggy in TR but, it can be a problem on lead anchor.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Apr 17, 2012, 11:11 PM)

dindolino32

Apr 18, 2012, 9:45 PM
Post #25 of 39 (6033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome to RC.com! People dont intend to help you, they just wreck whatever you say. My only concern would be to keep the v-angle less than 60 degrees.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.06 (10% off)
$6.26 (10% off)
$21.56 (10% off)
$6.75 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook