RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

jackweeze

Apr 10, 2012, 3:37 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Sizing women's shoes for a male?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey gang,

This is my first post here, but I hope someone can help me with my query. I am an avid rock climber, mostly in gyms because of location, but nonetheless I climb four or so days a week.

I currently use La Sportiva Nago's, which are comfortable and I can wear all day. They are definitely too big though--I believe they are 43.5/10.5 .

I want a super-aggressive shoe to complement these. I do a lot of overhanging bouldering with small foot holds.

I have been looking at Scarpa, and I believe that the Rockette would be best, despite me being a male, as I the Nagos are too wide at the ball of the foot area. I also hear the men's booster is baggy in the heel.

If I am to get Rockettes, how does the sizing work? What would a men's, say, 42, be in women's Euro sizes? How about what would a men's 9.5USA be in USA women's sizes?

Also, does anyone have any words of wisdom about using women's-designed shoes? Warnings?

Thanks in advance for any help

redlude97

Apr 10, 2012, 3:43 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jackweeze] Sizing women's shoes for a male? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any particular reason you are looking at women's versions. For scarpa the women's versions generally run narrower than the men's versions IME

Colinhoglund

Apr 10, 2012, 4:12 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Euro sizes are pretty consistent mens and womens, a 42 is a 42. However, womens shoes fit quite differently so you may need to size up or down depending on how the volume and width of a wmns shoe affects your fit.
However, don't trust what you hear form anyone, your foot is your foot. Go to a retail store, try them on and pay their rate. Thats why internet stores are so cheap, no retail space or staff to help you; and for climbing shoes it's worth it. Use their service and pay for it.

granite_grrl

Apr 10, 2012, 7:25 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a fine line between women's shoes and a narrow man's foot, but it makes a difference when it comes to choosing the right climbing shoe for you.

In the end many women's shoes don't fit me because they are either too narrow or mostly because the heel is cut too low. I have found that my foot is more like a narrow man's foot than a traditional women's fit.

I have found the men's Scarpa Forces fit me much better than the women's, but I have a pair of women's Katanas that I like. If you can try on a bunch of women's shoes and a bunch of narrow men's shoes to figure out what works best for you.

jackweeze

Apr 10, 2012, 7:57 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sizing women's shoes for a male? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys. I am really only looking at women's shoes because I have heard that they can be better for a narrow foot. I would definitely say that my feet seem like narrow men's feet. Probably good advice to stick to men's, but 1) I heard that the rockette has a better heel (tighter) than the booster, and 2) I really don't want to spend money on shoes that are again too wide.

I live in Pittsburgh, and there is no really good place to check out a good selection. I know I want to try something other than Sportiva. Scarpa has been highly recommended to me, but no store seems to carry them. I guess I figure that if I get women's shoes then I will be assured of a narrow fit. BTW, my feet are not crazy narrow or anything like that. Just like I said, the Sportiva Nagos were definitely too wide.

Also, I see that some shoes only go up to 41 in women's. So that means that there is no female shoe equivalent to, say, a men's 10?

(This post was edited by jackweeze on Apr 10, 2012, 7:59 PM)

clumsy

Apr 10, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word - zappos
http://www.zappos.com/...centSalesStyle/desc/

free shipping both ways, ship back everything that does not fit.

granite_grrl

Apr 11, 2012, 5:01 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you live in Pittsburg you should make an effort to get down to the New Rive Gorge. Waterstone is the gear store in Fayette ville down there and they have a good selection of shoes.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.56 (10% off)
$197.06 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook