Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

vontscull

Apr 8, 2012, 2:17 PM
Post #1 of 18 (9326 views)
Shortcut

First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing indoor frequently for almost to years and finally get a chance to climb outdoors with an experienced partner. We are going tomorrow, but I see there will be 20-22 mph winds. Will I be blown off the wall? Hah, probably not, but will this make climbing unpleasant?
Also, pants? I wear spandex to the gym, should I wear that + stretchy shorts, or shoot for some looser jeans? Or stretchy jeans? And long sleeve? Short sleeve with a jacket?
Seems silly, but I don't want to be unprepared.

erolls

Apr 8, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #2 of 18 (9323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vontscull] First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just have your mommy dress you in troll clothes.

vontscull

Apr 8, 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #3 of 18 (9310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erolls] First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

That is wildly inappropriate.

shimanilami

Apr 8, 2012, 2:45 PM
Post #4 of 18 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vontscull] First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ask your partner.

petsfed

Apr 8, 2012, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 18 (9250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Where will you be (were?) climbing?

My local area has 20+ mph winds for about half of the year. Quality soft-shell clothing, good jeans, just about anything to block the wind, as well as good route choice, are the only things that will help you then.

I've seen 65mph gusts while climbing (caused me to grab a bolt on a 5.4, oh the ignominy!), but in general, you should just stay home on days like that.

vontscull

Apr 8, 2012, 7:15 PM
Post #6 of 18 (9217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Near the PA/NJ border. Thanks for the one helpful answer.

sherpa79

Apr 8, 2012, 8:26 PM
Post #7 of 18 (9196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erolls] First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erolls wrote:
Just have your mommy dress you in troll clothes.

No, I think what he was looking for was "big boy pants".

herites

Apr 9, 2012, 9:25 PM
Post #8 of 18 (9080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to your local outdoor shop, buy the most expensive technical clothing they sell. That should be enough.

An useful answer: wear a good base layer to get sweat away from your body, nothing is worse in windy conditions than a wet cloth sticking to your back. Add a windproof softshell and you're good to go. A hood and a high, tight neck helps. Protect you ears if they are sensitive and there are really bad winds out there.

(This post was edited by herites on Apr 9, 2012, 9:25 PM)

6pacfershur

Apr 10, 2012, 4:53 AM
Post #9 of 18 (9001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

you wear spandex to the gym? by all means, you should wear it outside too....

JAB

Apr 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #10 of 18 (8969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vontscull wrote:
I've been climbing indoor frequently for almost to years and finally get a chance to climb outdoors with an experienced partner. We are going tomorrow, but I see there will be 20-22 mph winds. Will I be blown off the wall? Hah, probably not, but will this make climbing unpleasant?
Also, pants? I wear spandex to the gym, should I wear that + stretchy shorts, or shoot for some looser jeans? Or stretchy jeans? And long sleeve? Short sleeve with a jacket?

Ok, here is a real answer.

WIND. Is the wind warm or cold? If cold, wear windstopper clothes. If warm, doesn't matter. The wind has to be very strong to influence your climbing.
PANTS. Wear something that can take some abrasion. Climbing outside (especially on easier routes), you will be in contact with the rock a lot, so spandex is good only on overhanging sport routes. So softshell pants would be a good idea considering the wind.

shockabuku

Apr 10, 2012, 1:43 PM
Post #11 of 18 (8933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vontscull wrote:
That is wildly inappropriate.

Ridiculous.

Take enough clothes to have options from warm to cool. And always a light rain jacket - great for stopping the wind as well.

marc801

Apr 10, 2012, 2:30 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vontscull wrote:
OMG.
This delicate little flower can't seem to figure out what to wear outdoors. Whatever will he do when he gets his first hangnail or flapper?

njrox

Apr 10, 2012, 2:38 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vontscull wrote:
Near the PA/NJ border. Thanks for the one helpful answer.

the gap?

petsfed

Apr 10, 2012, 3:58 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't mind the bullshit, right?

A lot of companies try to sell Gore Windstopper (or equivalents) as a fully featured soft-shell, but the problem is just like with a rain jacket: the plastic membrane, not the weave of the cloth, is the principal wind-stopping element. Since the membranes need a fairly specific temperature gradient to breathe effectively, and a fairly low rate of vapor transfer, they just don't work for high output activities.

For dry areas, canvas, wool, any natural fiber that's tightly woven works well, provided you can keep it dry. Double knee Carhardt pants are popular out here.

If you can't keep it dry, softshells are the only way to fly. You'd think, based on the windchill charts, that you could just layer on more clothing, a heavier fleece. Unfortunately, if the wind can cut through (as is the case starting at about 20mph), that insulation doesn't really retain heat because the warm air next to your skin gets blown away. Because of this, traditional layering systems (e.g. adjust your insulation by first taking off your shell, then adding or subtracting other layers) are ineffective in windy conditions. You have to choose between adjusting the layer and risking hypothermia, or leaving it be and risking overheating.

jamesnater

Apr 10, 2012, 9:53 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Tip: Buy from Goodwill; rock climbing isn't a fashion show.

Plus, I can almost guarantee there will be a rack there dedicated to old, neon-colored, windstopper (aka windcheater) jackets and pants.

Marylandclimber

Apr 11, 2012, 3:58 PM
Post #16 of 18 (8709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live/climb around there too just wear jeans and just the usual. The wind wont be much of an issue unless your multipitch climbing. Plus, its been warm around here.

Kartessa

Apr 12, 2012, 2:58 AM
Post #17 of 18 (8638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If star trek has taught me anything it's not to wear a red shirt.

swoopee

Apr 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #18 of 18 (8558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] First time outdoors- Will wind be an issue? Also, what pants to wear?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doh!!! I sometimes wear a red shirt. Frown

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook