RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

rferguson61

Apr 12, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 17 (6593 views)
Shortcut

Need some advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im 22 year old male. Im on the husky side. 5'10", 240lbs. Im trying to loose weight. I used to climb when i was younger (walls) but was never very good cuz i was chubby then too. I enjoyed it then and i think id enjoy it now. Im using climbing as my motivation to loose weight. The closest climbing gym is an hour north and once im to a point where i can climb well I'll be driving up there once a week to climb.

What i am wondering is:
1) roughly at what point (weight wise or other?) do you think climbing would be probable.
2) are there any exercises or types of work outs i should be doing.

Currently my gym routine is 45 min-1 hour of cardio...treadmill, eliptical, stairstepper, jacobs ladder. 15 minutes of each. Then just core lifts...bench, incline, military, squat, dead lift.

Thanks in advance for you're help

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2012, 8:34 PM
Post #2 of 17 (6586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rferguson61] Need some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rferguson61 wrote:
Im 22 year old male. Im on the husky side. 5'10", 240lbs. Im trying to loose weight. I used to climb when i was younger (walls) but was never very good cuz i was chubby then too. I enjoyed it then and i think id enjoy it now. Im using climbing as my motivation to loose weight. The closest climbing gym is an hour north and once im to a point where i can climb well I'll be driving up there once a week to climb.

What i am wondering is:
1) roughly at what point (weight wise or other?) do you think climbing would be probable.

Currently my gym routine is 45 min-1 hour of cardio...treadmill, eliptical, stairstepper, jacobs ladder. 15 minutes of each. Then just core lifts...bench, incline, military, squat, dead lift.

Well you came to the right place to get advice. Good and bad, I hope you can figure out the difference.

If you're looking to lose weight I'd probably talk to a trainer at the gym you go to.

Personally, I'd start doing some climbing now if you think that's what motivates you. Sure, it'll probably have to be pretty easy stuff, but so what? Staying motivated is pretty important.

rferguson61

Apr 12, 2012, 8:45 PM
Post #3 of 17 (6577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Need some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

Well you came to the right place to get advice. Good and bad, I hope you can figure out the difference.

If you're looking to lose weight I'd probably talk to a trainer at the gym you go to.

Personally, I'd start doing some climbing now if you think that's what motivates you. Sure, it'll probably have to be pretty easy stuff, but so what? Staying motivated is pretty important.

My gym charges an arm and a leg for trainer sessions and im not what most would call loaded lol.

As i mentions in the op the nearest climbing gym is 80 miles up the freeway. My plan was when i reached like 220 lbs i would sign up for their beginner class. Is there anything i can do around here to prepare/get in shape?

6pacfershur

Apr 12, 2012, 9:02 PM
Post #4 of 17 (6556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

you might consider "buildering", that is, bouldering on the side of buildings, bridges, retaining walls etc; owners and cops often dont approve and you might be mistaken for a criminal; just a suggestion....

rferguson61

Apr 12, 2012, 9:08 PM
Post #5 of 17 (6551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Need some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
you might consider "buildering", that is, bouldering on the side of buildings, bridges, retaining walls etc; owners and cops often dont approve and you might be mistaken for a criminal; just a suggestion....

as soon as i read "on the side of buildings" i immediately thought....cops? lol. i will consider it though. gotta see if theres any around that i could.

jt512

Apr 12, 2012, 9:52 PM
Post #6 of 17 (6527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rferguson61 wrote:

What i am wondering is:

I had a friend who weighed about as much as you, and was an accomplished 5.10 climber, so I'd say that you could start climbing now.

In reply to:

Your goals of your workouts should be weight loss and general fitness. 30 min to an hour of cardio a day, supplemented by a general weight training regimen would suffice.

And you need to diet. Take a look at this.

Jay

billcoe_

Apr 13, 2012, 3:45 AM
Post #7 of 17 (6446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Need some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JTs version is essentially the Zone diet, with less words. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/...334288711&sr=8-4

rferguson61

Apr 13, 2012, 4:09 AM
Post #8 of 17 (6433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was he 240 muscle or chub? Cuz im not gonna lie...im packin some pudge. Also, thank you for that link. That was honestly the most helpful piece of weight loss information i have gotten. You ask that question and you get answers along the lines of "it differs from person to person" or "it depends on your body type" and you dont get a straight forward "heres your calorie level, heres the micro-nutrient calorie %. So again thank you!

superchuffer

Apr 13, 2012, 4:11 AM
Post #9 of 17 (6432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cut out sugary drinks, sugar, and processed grains

jt512

Apr 13, 2012, 4:20 AM
Post #10 of 17 (6428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Need some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
JTs version is essentially the Zone diet, with less words. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/...334288711&sr=8-4

Ouch. The Zone Diet is scientifically fraudulent. The author, Barry Sears, claims that if you consume a magical distribution of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, then you will magically lose weight without counting calories, and magically achieve a state of well-being, which he refers to as "living in The Zone." He claims that the mechanism underlying the supposed benefits of this magical macronutrient distribution is that it creates an optimal balance of hormones, a claim that is scientifically unfounded.

Any resemblance between the Zone Diet and anything I have ever written on the subject of nutrition means that Barry Sears' unfounded theories randomly coincided with a correct conclusion here or there.

Jay

jt512

Apr 13, 2012, 4:51 AM
Post #11 of 17 (6417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rferguson61 wrote:
Was he 240 muscle or chub? Cuz im not gonna lie...im packin some pudge.

It's hard to tell with men, because the excess body fat in many overweight men is intra-abdominal, ie, beneath their abdominal muscles, so it's not visually obvious as "flab." But let's face it, if you're 5'10" and 240 lb, unless you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger (and he didn't), you're overweight.

In reply to:
Also, thank you for that link. That was honestly the most helpful piece of weight loss information i have gotten. You ask that question and you get answers along the lines of "it differs from person to person" or "it depends on your body type" and you dont get a straight forward "heres your calorie level, heres the micro-nutrient calorie %. So again thank you!

You're welcome. I hate the "everybody is different" meme. It belies the fact that, to a first approximation, exactly the opposite is true: our nutritional needs are similar.

Best of luck.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 13, 2012, 5:16 AM)

rferguson61

Apr 13, 2012, 5:00 AM
Post #12 of 17 (6415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Need some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
cut out sugary drinks, sugar, and processed grains

I dont really drink sugary stuff. IF i have soda its diet. My beverage downfall is beer. Homebrewing is my most loved hobby and beer is one of my obsessions (dont take that to mean that i am an alcoholic...i only have one or two a week tops) I try not to eat sugar...and i wont lie i probably eat more refined grains than i realize. I am working on the refined grained and cutting out all processed food (meats, cheeses, etc)

rferguson61

Apr 13, 2012, 6:58 AM
Post #13 of 17 (6386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
It's hard to tell with men, because the excess body fat in many overweight men is intra-abdominal, ie, beneath their abdominal muscles, so it's not visually obvious as "flab." But let's face it, if you're 5'10" and 240 lb, unless you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger (and he didn't), you're overweight.

this is true and i accept that i am and that is why im working to fix it.

jt512 wrote:
You're welcome. I hate the "everybody is different" meme. It belies the fact that, to a first approximation, exactly the opposite is true: our nutritional needs are similar.

Best of luck.

Jay

I agree...i understand that to the intense bodybuilders...to get their exact caloric and micro needs and a tailor made workout program to maximize their gains is important. But to tho VAST majority of us who are overweight and need to cut fat...from my (limited) knowledge of physiology...as you said our needs are fairly basic.

(This post was edited by rferguson61 on Apr 13, 2012, 9:45 AM)

Partner cracklover

Apr 13, 2012, 3:59 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 is a *really* good resource when it comes to nutrition. I've absolutely nothing more to add there.

But all the right info in the world won't get you there - you need to do it yourself, and it's not easy. And let's face it - when you're doing anything hard, willpower, well, we all know it flags from time to time. So my strongest recommendation is to make friends with people who share some of the same goals as you. Having someone you know socially who is involved in the activities that are part of your success is a huge element to your own success.

Two thoughts on this - and other folks may have better suggestions than me.

1 - If you have anyone else you know who's really motivated to work out, try to work your schedules out so you can meet each other at the gym around the same time. It's so much easier to blow off a gym session when it's just you, but somehow if you're meeting someone, that makes it easier to follow through.

If you don't know someone like this (and you probably don't). Try to make conversation with the regulars you see at the gym. You don't have to become best buddies for that social element to kick in. Just the expectation of seeing so-and-so and chatting about whatever seems to do something. And if you make friends, all the better!

2 - Start climbing *now*. Seeing all the skinny-ass people floating floating up the climbs you struggle on may feel tough to take, but use it as motivation! And if you spend time bouldering, you will almost certainly find that most people are very supportive and social. Bouldering is often a fairly communal activity. I bet you'll find some people around the same level as you are who will be very supportive. So then, again, you will make acquaintances who will help provide you with motivation.

Of course this only targets the exercise side of the equation, and we all know that it takes good exercise *and* good diet to lose weight. But since diet is much more complicated, I can't really give you advice on the social part there, lol. Maybe someone else can help.

Good luck, we're rooting for you!

GO

saint_john

Apr 13, 2012, 5:01 PM
Post #15 of 17 (6301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rferguson61 wrote:

What i am wondering is:

1. I've seen guys your size at the gym. There is no reason not to climb now.

2. As others have said, concentrate on your diet. In my experience, diet is more critical to losing weight than working out.

CWMS

Apr 13, 2012, 6:22 PM
Post #16 of 17 (6275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For sure, get out and climb as soon as you can, the more mileage you get, the better. But - in addition to all the great advice you gortten, make sure you go easy on the climbing for the first few weeks. The bigger (and stronger) you are, the more at risk you are for damaging tendons in your fingers and forearms, especially on steep indoor walls. A lot of "easier" climbs are steep with big jugs, but this can still put a lot of strain on your arms. Start off with lower angle climbs and always - always! - work on feet placements and avoid relying on your arms to power through moves.

Lastly, I encourage you to seek out a mentor or trainer for all your training - weight loss, physical conditioning and climbing. this will greatly reduce risk of injury and speed up the enjoyment ratio of your time spent Wink

sungam

Apr 19, 2012, 9:28 PM
Post #17 of 17 (6121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, I am liking the new site layout. It looks sharp.

Edit to add: uh, exercise as much as possible, set short term goals building towards your long term goals, etc. etc.

(This post was edited by sungam on Apr 19, 2012, 9:29 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook