RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

ClimbClimb

Apr 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #1 of 23 (22705 views)
Shortcut

Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rock climbing real, but ad doesn’t depict relationship reality
http://www.suntimes.com/...ionship-reality.html

Thought people may have interesting comments on this.

kiwiprincess

Apr 11, 2012, 12:37 AM
Post #2 of 23 (22686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Real woman can live whatever life they want. Be it ultra traditional or something unique. They should be able to do it with out being critisized. Not often someone questions the decisions men make.

clee03m

Apr 11, 2012, 3:48 AM
Post #3 of 23 (22666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just youtubed the commercial. I would think she means instead of blowing a bunch of money on a piece of very politically incorrect and useless piece of rock, the couple decided to take an engagement trip? Am I way off?

Anyways, agree with kiwi. I can't believe people would actually get upset because they think some woman eschews marriage? Pathetic.

lena_chita

Apr 11, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #4 of 23 (22631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ClimbClimb wrote:
Rock climbing real, but ad doesn’t depict relationship reality
http://www.suntimes.com/...ionship-reality.html

Thought people may have interesting comments on this.

To read ALL of THIS into that ad...

Betsy Hart wrote:
Well, let me offer this: Her Citi “thank you” points are not going to keep her warm at night. And they are not going to help her with the baby if she gets pregnant by the boyfriend she doesn’t think she needs to marry. Or, rather, who doesn’t think he needs to marry her. So what’s to keep him from finding a younger, more attractive rock-climber?

Written by Betsy Hart, a regular panelist on FOX news channel...

enough said!

wonderwoman

Apr 11, 2012, 6:23 PM
Post #5 of 23 (22604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

My life is so meaningless...

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #6 of 23 (22575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes!

Funny that she seems angry at the woman in the ad, who was simply paid to do as scripted. No anger at Citi bank for taunting those young nubile women into debt slavery under the guise of freedom through 'thank you points."

As if Katie was the one who came up with the ad concept to fuel her own agenda.

woooo oooo - right wing wckiness....

granite_grrl

Apr 12, 2012, 1:37 PM
Post #7 of 23 (22536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, I almost couldn't finish reading the article because it was making me so angry.

I don't understand why someone would be so upset at a woman that decides not to get married. She talks like having a baby should be the main purpose in our lives. Well fuck her, while I am married I have NO interest in babies and I don't need someone telling me how I should live my life.

In reply to:
That’s why this commercial, and the culture it represents, is so pathetic. It’s not that it depicts reality. It’s that it’s depicting a “reality” that isn’t real at all.

Wow, just wow. Now that I know that my life isn't realy maybe I should just quit my job (even though I'm the higher wage earner between me and my husband) and just start producing babies because that's what every woman wants deep down, isn't it?

granite_grrl

Apr 12, 2012, 3:12 PM
Post #8 of 23 (22519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A quick search took me too her blog. If people want to leave comments this is probably the place to do it:

http://www.betsysblog.com/...ng-nowhere/#comments

petsfed

Apr 13, 2012, 4:14 AM
Post #9 of 23 (22473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

Every time I hear a woman advocating for women at large to be more submissive to men, I can't help but wonder why she isn't practicing what she preaches, keeping quiet and making the man in her life a sandwich.

granite_grrl

Apr 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #10 of 23 (22452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Every time I hear a woman advocating for women at large to be more submissive to men, I can't help but wonder why she isn't practicing what she preaches, keeping quiet and making the man in her life a sandwich.

Except that Betsy Hart is divorced......

theWalrus

Apr 13, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #11 of 23 (22416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If there's anything to complain about in this commercial, it's the choice of song.

"Somebody left the gate open" is not a very inspiring rock climbing lyric.

petsfed

Apr 13, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 23 (22409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, lemme get this straight: a divorced woman is telling a young unmarried woman that the latter clearly doesn't value marriage enough.

Now, maybe Ms. Hart wasn't the instigator of the divorce, but it takes two to dissolve that contract these days.

lena_chita

Apr 13, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #13 of 23 (22401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
So, lemme get this straight: a divorced woman is telling a young unmarried woman that the latter clearly doesn't value marriage enough.

Now, maybe Ms. Hart wasn't the instigator of the divorce, but it takes two to dissolve that contract these days.

She clearly leads by example, just like Sarah Palin and her family is a poster child for abstinence-only education, Ms. Hart is a clear indication that the diamond on her finger will be in the best interest of the children.

notapplicable

Apr 14, 2012, 3:12 AM
Post #14 of 23 (22372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
petsfed wrote:

OH SNAP!

clee03m

Apr 14, 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #15 of 23 (22344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theWalrus] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theWalrus wrote:
If there's anything to complain about in this commercial, it's the choice of song.

"Somebody left the gate open" is not a very inspiring rock climbing lyric.
Smile

mindaa

Apr 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #16 of 23 (22089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I just youtubed the commercial. I would think she means instead of blowing a bunch of money on a piece of very politically incorrect and useless piece of rock, the couple decided to take an engagement trip? Am I way off?

Yep, that about sums up how I intrepret it...as a happily married climber. And definitely agree that writer is reading waaaaaay to much into a 30 sec commercial.

karmiclimber

Apr 25, 2012, 8:15 AM
Post #17 of 23 (22054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But you can bet I’m also clear that, of course, real-life women want men, and marriage and family. And so my daughters had better be darn tough. Because increasingly in our culture, it takes a strong woman to admit just that.

The whole article...woof.
Apparently, women who want marriage and a family = real life women. I've always thought us female climbers were the most down to earth and non-fake. STRANGE. :p
Anyway. She sounds bitter and jealous.

curt

Apr 25, 2012, 7:10 PM
Post #18 of 23 (22010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
petsfed wrote:

And obviously has some unresolved issues...

Curt

Partner camhead

Apr 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #19 of 23 (21957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

It's the Schlafly Paradox.

That's a great article; I'm going to use it for my women's history class.

Partner camhead

Apr 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #20 of 23 (21955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And the part that I hated most about the commercial was the terrible voiceover they used for Katie Brown's character.

drivel

Apr 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #21 of 23 (21955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Wow, I almost couldn't finish reading the article because it was making me so angry.

I don't understand why someone would be so upset at a woman that decides not to get married. She talks like having a baby should be the main purpose in our lives. Well fuck her, while I am married I have NO interest in babies and I don't need someone telling me how I should live my life.

In reply to:
That’s why this commercial, and the culture it represents, is so pathetic. It’s not that it depicts reality. It’s that it’s depicting a “reality” that isn’t real at all.

Wow, just wow. Now that I know that my life isn't realy maybe I should just quit my job (even though I'm the higher wage earner between me and my husband) and just start producing babies because that's what every woman wants deep down, isn't it?

This is a prime example of woman-on-woman gender policing and a blatant attempt at shaming those who fall out of line.

As Happie said, notice she's mad at the woman in the ad, not at citibank. :P

ClimbClimb

Apr 29, 2012, 1:02 PM
Post #22 of 23 (21842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Angry editorial over Katie Brown / Alex Honnold Citi ad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
This is a prime example of woman-on-woman gender policing and a blatant attempt at shaming those who fall out of line.

As Happie said, notice she's mad at the woman in the ad, not at citibank. :P

Perhaps the underlying nature of this is simple competition, where physical fitness, sexual availability of another, younger woman must be countered by social pressure. Or maybe it's just simple envy. :-)

josephfazioli

Jun 4, 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #23 of 23 (21321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if her husband left her for a younger, more attractive angry editorial columnist.

This is exactly the type of lunacy to which my parents ascribe. They told my wife that my college degree was silly because I would be working and she would be popping out kids. Now, neither of us are badass climbers, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook