RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

trisgo

Apr 13, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2212 views)
Shortcut

Sucking on a water balloon.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Riddle me this batman, I tend to go through mass amounts of water (there's actually a medical reason I have that causes this). Even after climbing a 40ft route, I feel like I'm chewing on cotton balls. I've bought two hydration packs (coughcoughOzarkTrailcoughcough), but can never get that plastic taste out. I've used the cleaning tablets, scrub brushes, letting it sit over night with lemon juice and baking soda, and stuck a hose in it and let it flush for hours. This actually has an impact on my climbing if it's anything more than 40ft. I imagine all packs are like this at first, but I can't imagine anyone continuing to use it if it didn't go away. Is this because I'm buying a cheapo brand? Do the actual Camelbak's have this problem? I'll shell out the money for a nice bladder, but I don't want to have another failed attempt sitting in my closet. Any recommendations? Would be grateful for any help with this?

chadnsc

Apr 13, 2012, 6:30 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trisgo] Sucking on a water balloon. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the Platypus and Cammelbak brands and don't have the 'plastic taste' issues you're describing.

I think you're correct that it's because you have a cheap system.

shockabuku

Apr 13, 2012, 6:39 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the Platypus ones are better about the taste issue; they use a different plastic than most. Though I think some of that taste comes from water sitting in the hose and may be unavoidable. I stopped using them a long time ago but I used to blow air back into the tube to clear the tube out and keep it from freezing - it may help with the taste issue as well.

binkus

Apr 13, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Camelbak's on a regular basis and depending on how long the water has been inside I sometimes ,not always, notice a light plastic taste but normally not enough to bother me. On the same note I usually don't mind drinking iodine treated water out of a stream so my taste might not be as selective.

Another option I have used sometimes purely for taste but might also work in your case is to add some sort of flavoring to the water inside you hydration pack. There are actually some decent tasting re hydration powders you could use as opposed to the standard Gatorade or other sugar full drink mixes. I don't know how this would tie in with you medical condition but it might help. I usually keep it watered down instead of the full recommended dose, and for extended periods you still need to have some regular water intake. Sports drinks can have their benefits but wont completely replace the need of water.

I don't know how well the other cleaning methods you have used work but I have left my Camelback to sit for a few weeks with some nasty growth inside and then cleaned it out by adding cap full of bleach to the water and letting it sit for a little before rinsing it out.
This seems to work fairly well and might work in your case.

trisgo

Apr 13, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went out and got an actual Camelbak, scrubbed it with a brush, rinsed it out twice, and no plastic taste. It's sitting now soaking with a couple cleaning tabs for good measure. That's amazing how quality can make that much of a difference. Outstanding. Thanks for your feedback.

colatownkid

Apr 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trisgo wrote:
I went out and got an actual Camelbak, scrubbed it with a brush, rinsed it out twice, and no plastic taste. It's sitting now soaking with a couple cleaning tabs for good measure. That's amazing how quality can make that much of a difference. Outstanding. Thanks for your feedback.

Glad you found something that you like. Quality absolutely makes a difference. In that regard, I've had pretty poor CamelBak experiences, having used them extensively in guiding, climbing, and backpacking. I've found the MSR Dromedary to be the most durable as far as bladders go, followed by Platypus, CamelBak, and off-brands, in that order. Nothing sucks quite like being miles into the backcountry with a leaking bladder, especially in the desert.

Unfortunately, this might not help you right now, but maybe a future reader will benefit from it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook