Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Do I need a woman's harness, or is a men's just as good?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gannalise

Apr 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1106 views)
Shortcut

Do I need a woman's harness, or is a men's just as good?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I am a new climber but I am enjoying it so much I want to buy my own gear as I definitely think it's going to become a long term thing.
The harnesses you can hire at my local climbing wall are just SO uncomfortable though. The leg loops really dig into my thighs and I want to buy a comfortable harness.
I'm looking at UK stores ie Cotswold and I don't particularly want to buy online.
I was wondering if a woman's harness is actually much different to a man's and whether it's more comfortable?
Any recommendations would be great as well.
Thank you!!

lena_chita

Apr 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gannalise] Do I need a woman's harness, or is a men's just as good? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The main differenece is going to be in terms of sizing, e.i. the ratio between the waist circumference, and leg/thigh circumference. And to some extent, the raise of the harness.

Compare these charts, for example (both from Ark'teryx, one is for men, and the other one is for women)

http://:http://www.arcteryx.com/sizing-chart.aspx?EN/men-s-harness-sizing-chart

http://www.arcteryx.com/...harness-sizing-chart

For the same leg circumference, the men's harness would have bigger waist circumference than women
's harness with the same leg loop size.

If you are short, have slim waist, and if your thighs are relatively big, compared to your waist (not necessarily fat-- maybe they are just built from running and cycling), then you will probably fit better into women's harness.

If you are taller, and have relatively narrow hips and skinny legs (compared to your waist size), men's harness might be a better fit.

Or both might fit just fine, especially if the harness has adjustable leg loops.

There is no substitute for trying a harness on. Try as many models as you can, and hang in them to determine that they are comfortable and that you are hanging balanced in it, and not being tipped backwards.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 13, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Do I need a woman's harness, or is a men's just as good? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Lena's advice is good - and especially about trying on whenever possible.

My first harness was a women's harness, the Black Diamond Primrose. It was comfortable and I liked it, but when it came time to replace, the updated model had different gear loops which I did not like.

I decided on the Petzl Corax for my second harness, and it is not female-specific. It is just as comfortable, if not even more so. But every person has a different build, so what works for me may not for you.

grae313

Apr 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #4 of 5 (965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gannalise] Do I need a woman's harness, or is a men's just as good? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a men's harness (Petzl Adjama size S). For reference, I'm 5'4" and wear size 0 pants and I have to adjust all of the straps as tight as they will possibly go in order to just barely get a good/safe fit. But it fits and is more comfortable for me than any of the other harnesses my local store carried including the women's harnesses.

I would just go to your local store and try on all of the harnesses they have. Make sure you hang in them. Buy the one that you find is the most comfortable, regardless of which gender it is marketed towards.

(This post was edited by grae313 on Apr 28, 2012, 10:20 AM)

kiwiprincess

Apr 28, 2012, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 5 (951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grae313] Do I need a woman's harness, or is a men's just as good? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The others have given you great advice.
I have found when the rise is bit short , The legs pull up so the Harness appears to fit but the angle when walking caused discomfort on the inside of thigh area where that sinuos bit is so pay attention to that when you try on.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$144.71 (10% off)
$26.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook