RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bigredscowboy

Apr 14, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1153 views)
Shortcut

2012 drill debate
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Considering a drill and it's been a few years according to the search function since this has been discussed.
I assume the Bosch 11536(vsr or c) li-ion is the best bet still. Can't find any of the old NiCad for SLA except on eBay for more than I'm willing to pay for an old used drill.

(This post was edited by bigredscowboy on Apr 26, 2012, 7:30 PM)

dcfdrescue2

Apr 15, 2012, 5:42 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigredscowboy] 2012 drill debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if this will help you out:

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

It is possible to have batteries rebuilt. We recently considered it for a bunch of our cordless tools at work, but ended up upgrading tools instead.

shockabuku

Apr 15, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #3 of 6 (975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigredscowboy wrote:
Considering a drill and it's been a few years according to the search function since this has been discussed.
I assume the Bosch 11536(vsr or c) li-ion is the best bet still. Can't find any of the old NiCad for SLA except on eBay for more than I'm willing to pay for an old used drill.

Secondly, best bits for Alabama sandstone?

It's been discussed more recently than that. I'm not even reasonably learned about drills so I won't comment much other than that.

Someone mentioned the Panasonic drills once. I was wondering whether they're really a good alternative. They look much more compact and lighter.

USnavy

Apr 16, 2012, 4:10 AM
Post #4 of 6 (925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bigredscowboy wrote:

Secondly, best bits for Alabama sandstone?
I own the 11536 and it's a beast, I have drilled 3/4" holes in steel hard basalt with it. The batteries are indeed Li-ion and the charge lasts quite awhile, I have never need to bring a second battery for a days work. I dont know why you want a NiCad battery/ drill, NiCad is a crap technology. NiCad batteries develop memories very easily. Consequently, they have a short lifespan unless used constantly.

Basically, if you are looking for maximum performance, the 11536 is it. There is not a single cordless rotary hammer drill on the market that can outperform it. However it is also one of the heaviest cordless drills on the market, so you may wish to take that into consideration. If you are rap bolting, the 11536 is king, end of story. If you are bolting on lead, it may be a PIA to hold it above your head. But on the upside, you dont have to hold it above your head as long as other drills as it will drill faster than other drills.

Some people recommend the Panasonic drill, as it is light. However, the Panasonic drill is the Prius of rotary hammer drills, it is only rated for 1/2"! I have never even heard of that, every other rotary hammer drill on the market is rated for at least 5/8". The 11536 is rated for 1".

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 16, 2012, 4:17 AM)

bigredscowboy

Apr 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #5 of 6 (852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] 2012 drill debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I dont know why you want a NiCad battery/ drill, NiCad is a crap technology. NiCad batteries develop memories very easily.
I wasn't planning on using NiCad but rather converting to SLA, bc there have been a few bad reviews of the LiIon lifespan.

Do you have the VSR or the Compact? Anyone have experience with both of these?

USnavy

Apr 16, 2012, 8:32 PM
Post #6 of 6 (805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigredscowboy wrote:
USnavy wrote:
I dont know why you want a NiCad battery/ drill, NiCad is a crap technology. NiCad batteries develop memories very easily.
I wasn't planning on using NiCad but rather converting to SLA, bc there have been a few bad reviews of the LiIon lifespan.

Do you have the VSR or the Compact? Anyone have experience with both of these?
I have the VSR. I have owned mine for over a year now and the batteries are still strong.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook