RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Comptonclimber

Apr 14, 2012, 1:50 AM
Post #1 of 21 (17404 views)
Shortcut

pushups
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wandering how many pushups most climbers can do without stopping. Do pushups help climbing much

granite_grrl

Apr 14, 2012, 1:36 PM
Post #2 of 21 (17292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Comptonclimber] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Comptonclimber wrote:
I was just wandering how many pushups most climbers can do without stopping. Do pushups help climbing much

Pushups aren't directly useful for climbing, but they can be really good for cross training and preventing injury.

GeckoBat

Apr 14, 2012, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 21 (17215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're exercised more as a means of balancing your back and biceps. Working opposing muscle groups to aid in providing balance to your other muscles is beneficial. Functional training is the key.

climbapps

Apr 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #4 of 21 (17089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree with the notion that pushups aren't helpful to climbers...doing "press" exercises like pushups, dips, tri press downs are extremely useful if you are tall and generally have no lockoff ability-exactly my case. If you are short or squatty, perhaps not so much.

That said, when I was on a guides course with Tom Hargis, a 68 year old school exum guide, he would crank out 2 sets of 25 pushups straight away in the morning.

Guy was a savage, climbing 5.11 like it was cake in Joshua Tree, very impressive.

I'd go into the whole Royal Robbins story about pushups, but have a mess of work to do; toss it up here if you know what I'm talking about....

Comptonclimber

Apr 15, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #5 of 21 (17021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbapps] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im 6'2'' and I try to do 200 pushups every other day and around 100 pullups the other days

jackweeze

Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #6 of 21 (16994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a reason Dani Andrada seems hunched over a little like a gorilla--the pecs are not really that essential for climbing.

The other replys have some truth to them though--it's good to balance your body out a little even though you use your back way more than your chest. There will also be some situations where you do need to push yourself up, and pushups can help with that.

Personally, I bench press just because I like to be strong all around, I like the look it gives me, and it is not goign to affect me much carrying around 5-10 extra pounds of muscle.

I recommend pushups in addition to your other training. But you don't need to be able to do a zillion. They are a great endurance exercise though, so the more you can do, the better really. They won't help a ton, but they definitely won't hurt.

jackweeze

Apr 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #7 of 21 (16991 views)
Shortcut

Re: pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

also, the age-old body-weight exercises are just great in general, and particularly for climbing. I'm talking about pull-ups, chin-ups, crunches, planks, and push-ups. If you only did those in addition to climbing a lot, you'd probably be pretty good fitness-wise.

shockabuku

Apr 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #8 of 21 (16983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No idea.

No, but they're probably good for your posture and your shirtless appearance (male or female) if nothing else.

Partner rgold

Apr 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #9 of 21 (16961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say pushups are nearly worthless for climbing, ok for muscle balancing and injury prevention.

For balancing and injury prevention, I think that exercises that are as close as possible to the reverse of climbing pulling motions are best. This means seated dumbell presses, ideally in three inclined positions from nearly upright to nearly prone.

if climbers want exercises that translate to functional climbing strength, they should work on muscle-ups on a bar.

jt512

Apr 16, 2012, 1:33 AM
Post #10 of 21 (16939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jackweeze] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jackweeze wrote:
There's a reason Dani Andrada seems hunched over a little like a gorilla--the pecs are not really that essential for climbing.

There's a reason, but it's the opposite of what you said. It's due to relative overdevelopment of the pectoralis minor.

Jay

hyongx

Apr 16, 2012, 3:01 AM
Post #11 of 21 (16905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Comptonclimber wrote:

I can probably do around thirty. I think that's actually about average for fit 20-30 males. Though I am climbing about twice a week now.
I don't think pushups directly help climbing, but they might help equalize, balance, the pulling muscles used by climbing.

patto

Apr 16, 2012, 9:12 AM
Post #12 of 21 (16849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyongx] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Push ups are good for your core muscles and core strength. At least that is what I find. But I'm particularly weak in my core strength so maybe it benefits me more than others. Certainly triceps and pecs strength is not particularly useful in climbing.

ceebo

Apr 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #13 of 21 (16832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was very close to pulling a chest muscle while climbing becuase it was exposed to a weight that was over standard press up loads. I can't say for sure the muscle was at less risk from press ups to begin with. On the chance it was, i now also do a few 1 arm push ups just in case. Needless to say it was the kind of move that is very very few and far between.

I guess for people who climb alot with steming, they would perhaps be exposed a great deal more to the kind of moves where press ups may actualy help. Apart from that, for me i do them for the sole purpose of not getting injured on freaky one off moves.

shockabuku

Apr 16, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #14 of 21 (16786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
Comptonclimber wrote:

I can probably do around thirty. I think that's actually about average for fit 20-30 males. Though I am climbing about twice a week now.
I don't think pushups directly help climbing, but they might help equalize, balance, the pulling muscles used by climbing.

Wow, I just read this (http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man) about the average American man.

Stunning.

habitat

Apr 16, 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #15 of 21 (16769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get with the times, fellas...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apKvJME8bpw

22 seconds in...

Beast mode...

(This post was edited by habitat on Apr 16, 2012, 2:44 PM)

saint_john

Apr 16, 2012, 3:56 PM
Post #16 of 21 (16732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
hyongx wrote:
Comptonclimber wrote:

Wow, I just read this (http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man) about the average American man.

Stunning.

I call BS on that link.

I doubt if the averaqe American man can run a mile in 8:34 or do 27 "good" pushups in 1 minute.

Dip

Apr 16, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #17 of 21 (16698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
hyongx wrote:
Comptonclimber wrote:

Stunning.

I call BS on that link.

I doubt if the averaqe American man can run a mile in 8:34 or do 27 "good" pushups in 1 minute.

Right? Aren't we approaching a point where the "average" american anything is overweight/obese? I'm fairly certain if i took a survey of every dude in my building at work, 8:34 and 27 would not be the averages.

shockabuku

Apr 16, 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #18 of 21 (16624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
saint_john wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
hyongx wrote:
Comptonclimber wrote:

Stunning.

I call BS on that link.

Right? Aren't we approaching a point where the "average" american anything is overweight/obese? I'm fairly certain if i took a survey of every dude in my building at work, 8:34 and 27 would not be the averages.

Sure, but likely your building doesn't represent the average American male very well either.

6pacfershur

Apr 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #19 of 21 (16598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
....I don't think pushups directly help climbing....

pushups are beneficial if you plan to climb offwidths or chimneys....

guangzhou

Apr 17, 2012, 3:33 AM
Post #20 of 21 (16514 views)
Shortcut

Re: pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The Army uses push ups in it's physical fitness test. To pass in the 18 year age catagory, you have to do a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes. To max the test, if I remember correctly, it was 72 in two minutes. (Proper push-ups)

I'm 40 and rarely do push ups anymore. They hurt my wrist, but I can still do 40+ push-up in one go. I keep trying to convince myself to do them on a regular basis, or some kind of bench press exercise. (incline not incline) not I have a hard time getting motivated to exercise just for the sake of exercise.

I climb, run, occasionally swim laps when I have pool access. Walk to work a few times a week.

Dip

Apr 17, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #21 of 21 (16415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] pushups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Dip wrote:
saint_john wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
hyongx wrote:
Comptonclimber wrote:

Stunning.

I call BS on that link.

Sure, but likely your building doesn't represent the average American male very well either.

I don't know... it's certainly all walks of life, minus those who do physical labor for a living. Granted throwing people in whose job requires they be active would bring the numbers closer to those suggested above, but i still think those numbers are giving people too much credit. I could of course be completely out of line, as i'm basically talking out my ass since i have no statistics or research of my own to offer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook