RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

erikvance

Apr 15, 2012, 5:07 PM
Post #1 of 14 (6279 views)
Shortcut

How do I clean my gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently bought a new rope and for the second time, it stained black on the third use. I am now convinced that at least some of my carabiners are just way too dirty and/or oxidized. Anyone have a good treatment for cleaning aluminum gear? I've heard everything from white gas to WD-40 to soap and water.

moose_droppings

Apr 15, 2012, 5:47 PM
Post #2 of 14 (6261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erikvance] How do I clean my gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erikvance wrote:
I recently bought a new rope and for the second time, it stained black on the third use. I am now convinced that at least some of my carabiners are just way too dirty and/or oxidized. Anyone have a good treatment for cleaning aluminum gear? I've heard everything from white gas to WD-40 to soap and water.

Warm soapy water, soak, wipe, rinse and dry. Lube gate, preferably with graphite.

marc801

Apr 15, 2012, 6:11 PM
Post #3 of 14 (6248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erikvance wrote:
You can clean as moose_droppings suggested, but there's no point. Your biners will just oxidize nearly instantly after drying. You really won't notice any difference. They will stain your rope a bit. Do what the rest of us do - ignore it.

herites

Apr 15, 2012, 9:49 PM
Post #4 of 14 (6203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use a glove while belaying if the black goop really bothers you.

shockabuku

Apr 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #5 of 14 (6195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trying to clean the biners is a waste of time. Aluminum does that. You could buy all steel bottom biners and fix the problem.Crazy

You can clean the rope, though. I usually run an empty load of hot water to rinse out the washing machine then throw my rope in on a warm water load with either no soap or some Sterling rope wash.

I flake mine out to dry over a door or railing. I do know a guy who advocates putting it in the dryer on a warm setting for a little while. Not till dry, but a little while. He says it causes the rope to regain a little of its elasticity. Never tried it but he's been climbing for a long time and isn't dead yet so it's probably not dangerous.

erikvance

Apr 16, 2012, 1:43 PM
Post #6 of 14 (6142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I have been climbing for 18 years and have never seen this much staining. Some of my gear is kinda old. I wonder if the older stuff is staining more than it should. Anyway, I will try the soapy water. Then I might retire some of the oldest stuff.

roadstead

Apr 16, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #7 of 14 (6127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

erikvance wrote:
Well, I have been climbing for 18 years and have never seen this much staining. Some of my gear is kinda old. I wonder if the older stuff is staining more than it should. Anyway, I will try the soapy water. Then I might retire some of the oldest stuff.

You have been climbing for 18 years and your still this ignorant. Crazy

shockabuku

Apr 16, 2012, 8:57 PM
Post #8 of 14 (6075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erikvance wrote:

What's changed about where you climb or what equipment you climb with?

erikvance

Apr 16, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #9 of 14 (6067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, looks like I have tapped into some of the angry militant wing of rockclimbing.com. No need to be dickish, roadstead. I have washed my gear for the purposes of oiling the gates, but never just because my rope went form yellow to black in three outings. Shockabuku I recently moved to Mexico, but this was a problem before I moved.

lofstromc

Apr 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
Post #10 of 14 (6032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this the Erik Vance who is from Oakland, CA, but I met in DC and climbed at Seneca with?
If so, what are you doing in Mexico?

marc801

Apr 17, 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #11 of 14 (6026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erikvance wrote:
Wow, looks like I have tapped into some of the angry militant wing of rockclimbing.com. No need to be dickish, roadstead. I have washed my gear for the purposes of oiling the gates, but never just because my rope went form yellow to black in three outings.
Again, your rope is not getting dirty in 3 outings from dirt or aluminum oxide on your biners. Biners simply cannot hold that much dirt or AlO2. Does your new rope have a dry treatment of any sort? Some treatments are wax based and easily collect dirt in only a few uses. Yes, the biners may help to rub it in, but they are not the source. Is it exceptionally dirty where you climb? Some areas distinctly excel in getting dirt into a rope. Do you use a rope bag?

As far as your comments about the militant wing and people being dickish.... seriously, if you've been climbing 18 years, this stuff about dirt and gear is really something most would think you had learned a long time ago.

erikvance

Apr 17, 2012, 1:25 AM
Post #12 of 14 (6017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris! How the hell are you? I'm one and the same. I am living here in Mexico City with my wife, who works here. I am also working a fair bit as well and climbing. It's really nice here and the food is amazing. Drop me a line! We'd be happy to host you if you ever came down to do a volcano.
As for the others, yes, I have been climbing for two decades - Yosemite big walls, mountains and rock on 6 continents, etc - and I have never seen this happen to my ropes. It's not the dirt, because it forms black lateral lines on the rope like oxidation would. I've just never seen this kind of staining before. So I thought I'd ask for a little help, sans snide comments about my climbing ability. The wax is an interesting thought. Thanks. I think I'll retire the oldest clips just in case.

6pacfershur

Apr 17, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #13 of 14 (6004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

welcome to the neighborhood E-Van, hope you stick around; there are a few members of our forum that offer genuine, useful advice; there's a few comedians, a few canadians, a few stalkers, a few haters, a few insecure narcissists that love the sound of their own shit and a bunch of smartasses like me; i will leave it to you to figure out what everyone else is....

roadstead

Apr 17, 2012, 1:29 PM
Post #14 of 14 (5954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erikvance wrote:
Wow, looks like I have tapped into some of the angry militant wing of rockclimbing.com. No need to be dickish, roadstead.
ignorant
adjective
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
uninformed; unaware.
due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement. Wink

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook