Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
Climbing Accidend at Crowders Mt yesterday (4/14)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

photocodo

Apr 16, 2012, 1:42 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7641 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Accidend at Crowders Mt yesterday (4/14)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife and I were climbing at Crowders yesterday (4/14). While we were climbing we saw some Firefighters running around and one of them asked where the "stuck climber" was at. A few minutes later we saw a helicopter which didnt look like a rescue chopper but a medic chopper so we assumed it was some kind of injury. Has anyone heard of any incidents or know anything about this event.

csproul

Apr 16, 2012, 1:28 PM
Post #2 of 9 (7606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photocodo] Climbing Accidend at Crowders Mt yesterday (4/14) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://carolinaclimbers.org/...cident-crowders.html

bchembree

Apr 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #3 of 9 (7552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea me and my girlfriend were at Crowders setting up on two-pitch wall when we heard the fall and screaming. We were the first to get to the scene and found the guy hanging upside down, unconscious with very serious head trauma. He was leading the two-pitch wall when he reached the crux near the top and lost his balance clipping into the cam he just placed. When he fell the piece below him pulled, along with one or two more. His fall was arrested by one nut, only after about 50 of tumbling down the face.
This was by far the most severe accident I have seen, and it has made me rethink what I am doing on the mountain. I have already signed up for a wilderness first aid class, and have been practicing my self rescue techniques. I would suggest the same to you. Chris was an experienced climber, but sometimes its the small things that can cause so much damage.

Always wear a helmet!

csproul

Apr 18, 2012, 2:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (7540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bchembree] Climbing Accidend at Crowders Mt yesterday (4/14) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What route was he on? So I've only been to Crowders twice, and it left me less than impressed with the rock quality. I definitely would have thought long and hard about if/where to place gear with all the choss. Was the gear failure a result of bad placements or bad rock? Either way, with 2-3+ failed gear placements in a row, it seem like it had to have been shitty gear placements or bad judgment placing gear in bad rock. I've probably been guilty of both and just gotten away without falling.

Here's the description of the wall on RC.com:
"Very rotten rock especially near the top, but despite prevailing sentiment can be well protected due to the abundant horizontal cracks on this face "

Hope Chris is doing ok and recovers fully from this.

bchembree

Apr 18, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #5 of 9 (7526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Climbing Accidend at Crowders Mt yesterday (4/14) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He was climbing 'Secret Service'

I cleaned the route after he was taken down, so I was able to see his placements- all that held were excellently placed in good quality rock. I could not find where the others pulled out to determine if the rock broke or just poor placement. Also, I should have written it differently but the gear pops were not sequential (must have had some zig-zagging).

Rock quality is sometimes questionable at Crowders, but I have climbed there for years and enjoy the variation of face, crack, and off-width climbing. With that said- I will not go back to Crowders on the weekends! This last weekend all most every route was occupied

wonderwoman

Apr 18, 2012, 6:45 PM
Post #6 of 9 (7519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Move to A&I by WW.

photocodo

Apr 18, 2012, 8:29 PM
Post #7 of 9 (7435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bchembree,
I think we met just before you go down to the fortress, I was sitting with my dog waiting for some routes to clear out. We were climbing on Davids Castle when the fire department came running through but they didnt even know where the accident was at that time. I hope Chris is alright and while the rock is a bit shotty in some areas I agree that it is a great place to climb. I also agree with you about the crowds. I think there were some camps or climbing class out on saturday because it was PACKED! If you hear any more about chris please update us.

Cody

bchembree

Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #8 of 9 (7227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No way, i remember the few words we exchanged. Chris's fall happened not 30 min after we walked by you...small world. be careful out there- as climbers we all take on the responsibility of safety for ourselves, the people climbing with us, and everyone else on the mountain. Safety should be first and foremost.

photocodo

Apr 20, 2012, 1:00 AM
Post #9 of 9 (7225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I couldnt agree more. Every route led, or TR I set up scares me a little knowing that others will be trusting it to save them, however its not enough fear to stop climbing ;) Education is the most important thing for me in climbing. See you back out there.

Cody

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook