Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
A little too up-tight?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

 


roadstead


Apr 17, 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3869 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 16, 2004
Posts: 246

A little too up-tight?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

 
"Hello David Stephens,

Your photo:

Title: Sport Climber

that was submitted on 2012-04-17 has been rejected
for the following reason:

No icons or images allowed for avatars / profile pictures. Only actual photographs allowed, preferably climbing-related.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Gabe O

Photos Editor"

this is a link to the picture on another site. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/107555053

He looks like a Sport Climber me, what do you think?


carabiner96


Apr 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 12551

Re: [roadstead] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well that's a stupid rule.


curt


Apr 17, 2012, 9:10 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18230

Re: [roadstead] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

He's certainly a couple of ham sandwiches short of being a trad climber...

Curt


(This post was edited by curt on Apr 17, 2012, 9:11 PM)


dr_feelgood


Apr 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25823

Re: [curt] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

noob. It is common knowledge that gabe hates fun.


chadnsc


Apr 18, 2012, 6:01 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [roadstead] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's odd my avatar is no photograph and it defiantly isn't climbing related. Shocked

Oh no the green is gonna' drop the banz hammer on me! Well nice knowing you all. Frown


roadstead


Apr 18, 2012, 8:52 AM
Post #6 of 18 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 16, 2004
Posts: 246

Re: [curt] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
He's certainly a couple of ham sandwiches short of being a trad climber...

Curt

What you sayin, he would look just like me...if I wore a helmet!


gogounou


Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Posts: 542

Re: [roadstead] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Completely agree.

This is my profile "photo" on pretty much every other site that I use, but it's a no-go here:



Chimpanzees are excellent climbers, and everyone knows that tuxedos only increase their powers.

J


bill413


Apr 19, 2012, 5:42 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [gogounou] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gogounou wrote:
Completely agree.

This is my profile "photo" on pretty much every other site that I use, but it's a no-go here:

[image]https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/129332227/monkey.jpg[/image]

Chimpanzees are excellent climbers, and everyone knows that tuxedos only increase their powers.

J

Yeah, but smoking?


Partner cracklover


Apr 19, 2012, 6:48 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3696 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10010

Re: [dr_feelgood] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
noob. It is common knowledge that gabe hates fun.

Indeed.

I saw a guy at the sport crag try to light up the other day. That's way too much fun to be allowed. I have a special punishment I dole out for people who light up in front of me. I light them up with a flamethrower. He's still smoking...



GO


xmesox


Apr 19, 2012, 7:18 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3687 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 17, 2009
Posts: 326

Re: A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This has been a site rule for the past 3 odd years, at least. Any exceptions that were let through since then, were done so by a slip in moderation.

It's a policy that exists on the sister sites as well and is enforced equally there.

One of the reasons for this is that the submission of a profile picture goes to a separate category of profile pictures in the photos database, and we don't want that category to be filled with cartoon avatars. Especially since one is only allowed 1 instance of a photograph. So you can't upload an image to 'bouldering' for example and then upload the same image as a profile image. Or we have 2 identical images next to each other on the photos page.


gogounou


Apr 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #11 of 18 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Posts: 542

Re: [bill413] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You must be mistaken. Clearly that's a nut tool.

J


Partner cracklover


Apr 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10010

Re: [gogounou] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gogounou wrote:
You must be mistaken. Clearly that's a nut tool.

J

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

GO


gogounou


Apr 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3657 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Posts: 542

Re: [cracklover] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
gogounou wrote:
You must be mistaken. Clearly that's a nut tool.

J

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

GO

Set up. Knocked down.

J


dr_feelgood


Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25823

Re: [xmesox] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

xmesox wrote:
This has been a site rule for the past 3 odd years, at least. Any exceptions that were let through since then, were done so by a slip in moderation.

It's a policy that exists on the sister sites as well and is enforced equally there.

One of the reasons for this is that the submission of a profile picture goes to a separate category of profile pictures in the photos database, and we don't want that category to be filled with cartoon avatars. Especially since one is only allowed 1 instance of a photograph. So you can't upload an image to 'bouldering' for example and then upload the same image as a profile image. Or we have 2 identical images next to each other on the photos page.
What the fuck do you call that creepy thing under your name, smeagol?


xmesox


Apr 20, 2012, 3:53 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 17, 2009
Posts: 326

Re: [dr_feelgood] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

My avatar was not created using a profile picture, sorry to inform you. It was put in through the back end interface and thus doesn't show up in the profile picture category that we are trying to keep clean.

You are free to go look through both my profile and the profile picture gallery, you will see unlike regular site users, my avatar does not show up in any categories.

So your attempt at an argument is void.

If you are able to create your avatar without having it feature in any of the categories of the photos, then by all means, change it to what you want. But alas, you can't.

Edit to add: Apart from that, my image is not a cartoon, it is a photo. So feel free to submit a picture of your dog as your avatar, while climbing related photos are preferred it is a no cartoon avatar rule.. Not a no non-climbing related photo rule.


(This post was edited by xmesox on Apr 20, 2012, 4:01 AM)


dr_feelgood


Apr 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3600 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25823

Re: [xmesox] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

xmesox wrote:
My avatar was not created using a profile picture, sorry to inform you. It was put in through the back end interface and thus doesn't show up in the profile picture category that we are trying to keep clean.

You are free to go look through both my profile and the profile picture gallery, you will see unlike regular site users, my avatar does not show up in any categories.

So your attempt at an argument is void.

If you are able to create your avatar without having it feature in any of the categories of the photos, then by all means, change it to what you want. But alas, you can't.

Edit to add: Apart from that, my image is not a cartoon, it is a photo. So feel free to submit a picture of your dog as your avatar, while climbing related photos are preferred it is a no cartoon avatar rule.. Not a no non-climbing related photo rule.
It is still really creepy. Cartoon or not.


granite_grrl


Apr 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14800

Re: [xmesox] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just not sure if I see how a few cartoon images clogging the RC.com image servers are any worse than, say, some girl riding a jackalope.


roadstead


Apr 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 16, 2004
Posts: 246

Re: [xmesox] A little too up-tight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

xmesox wrote:
This has been a site rule for the past 3 odd years, at least. Any exceptions that were let through since then, were done so by a slip in moderation.

It's a policy that exists on the sister sites as well and is enforced equally there.

One of the reasons for this is that the submission of a profile picture goes to a separate category of profile pictures in the photos database, and we don't want that category to be filled with cartoon avatars. Especially since one is only allowed 1 instance of a photograph. So you can't upload an image to 'bouldering' for example and then upload the same image as a profile image. Or we have 2 identical images next to each other on the photos page.

xmesox wrote:
My avatar was not created using a profile picture, sorry to inform you. It was put in through the back end interface and thus doesn't show up in the profile picture category that we are trying to keep clean.

You are free to go look through both my profile and the profile picture gallery, you will see unlike regular site users, my avatar does not show up in any categories.

So your attempt at an argument is void.

If you are able to create your avatar without having it feature in any of the categories of the photos, then by all means, change it to what you want. But alas, you can't.

Edit to add: Apart from that, my image is not a cartoon, it is a photo. So feel free to submit a picture of your dog as your avatar, while climbing related photos are preferred it is a no cartoon avatar rule.. Not a no non-climbing related photo rule.

I can smell stench of hypocrisy even over the web!


Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook