Forums: Community: Campground:
The greatest threat to online privacy yet: CISPA. Time is running out.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

squierbypetzl

Apr 21, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #1 of 7 (572 views)
Shortcut

The greatest threat to online privacy yet: CISPA. Time is running out.
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever heard of it? Probably not, since no major newsoutlet has touched the story since November. Ominous? It gets worse.

Much like it's brethren SOPA and PIPA (which purportedly sought to protect intellectual property online), the Cyber Intelligence and Protection Act seeks to give government agencies the ability to spy on private citizens, with no need for a warrant or even reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.

Using poorly defined concepts, the bill would allow private companies like facebook and twitter to use "cybersecurity" to keep on eye on users' communications, you know, to catch wrong-doers early, Constitutional rights to privacy, due-process and presumption of innocence be damned.

The vote is on Tuesday, so you have little more than 3 days to spread the word and make your opposition heard. It's our right and obligation as citizens to tell our government that, even if they have good intentions, they're on the wrong path.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Apr 21, 2012, 7:53 PM)

sungam

Apr 22, 2012, 2:51 AM
Post #2 of 7 (543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] The greatest threat to online privacy yet: CISPA. Time is running out. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
The vote is on Tuesday, so you have little more than 3 days to spread the word and make your opposition heard. It's our right and obligation as citizens to tell our government that, even if they have good intentions, they're on the wrong path.
Word. Gross invasion of privacy is definitely the wrong path. Unfortunately the US is already quite a ways down that road. It really needs to stop.

squierbypetzl

Apr 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #3 of 7 (491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] The greatest threat to online privacy yet: CISPA. Time is running out. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The vote was scheduled for Friday, but it got rushed through on Thursday along with a substantial list of ammendments that make CISPA way way worse.

http://www.techdirt.com/...sed-rushed-vote.shtml

They're extinguishing your 4th Ammendment rights online, don't say nobody warned you in time to do something about it.

sungam

Apr 27, 2012, 1:11 AM
Post #4 of 7 (481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Obama publicly stated he would Veto it?

When you say rushed through, just the house or the senate as well?

USnavy

Apr 27, 2012, 5:24 AM
Post #5 of 7 (472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:

They're extinguishing your 4th Ammendment rights online, don't say nobody warned you in time to do something about it.
Yep, well I think that was already done when the Patriot Act was established. What was once a specialty bill to be used only under extreme cases of national security, is now an everyday act that is used for everything short of arresting parking ticket nonpayees.

I think its safe to say the majority of our country's leaders are complete utter morons. I move to amend the Constitution to create a new amendment that requires all senators to hold a master's degree from MIT, CalTech, Harvard, or one of the other top 10 colleges, with no less than a 3.5 GPA. Maybe that will fix some of the extreme stupidity that seems to run about Washington now days.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 27, 2012, 5:30 AM)

squierbypetzl

Apr 27, 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #6 of 7 (463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] The greatest threat to online privacy yet: CISPA. Time is running out. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:

Yep, well I think that was already done when the Patriot Act was established. What was once a specialty bill to be used only under extreme cases of national security, is now an everyday act that is used for everything short of arresting parking ticket nonpayees.

I think its safe to say the majority of our country's leaders are complete utter morons. I move to amend the Constitution to create a new amendment that requires all senators to hold a master's degree from MIT, CalTech, Harvard, or one of the other top 10 colleges, with no less than a 3.5 GPA. Maybe that will fix some of the extreme stupidity that seems to run about Washington now days.

I don't believe there is a major % of morons on the Hill. To the contrary, I think they are mostly just very smart people who simply do not have the American people's best interests at heart. Like it or not, almost every single one of them is a high income class individual or grew up or was educated in that environment. If you do not want to believe that they're legislating to serve the interests of their economic class, you must realize that it's illogical to expect a person who's lived a coddled life in an ivory tower to know what life is like for the middle class and what is in their best interests.

The whole "trickle down" theory of distribution of wealth is bullshit (rich get super rich, but as they spend and invest their billions that money makes it down to all levels of workers). And even if it weren't bullshit, the way it's implemented today is a heinous abuse.

Companies today could care less about social responsibility, fiscal responsibility or economic responsibility (if they ever did) unless they sense it could go public and cost them big buck$. They're the ones polarizing society, they're the ones who are killing the hen that lays the golden eggs. And for what? Quicker, bigger profits? I'm not an enemy to making money, but there are some things I'm not willing to do to make a buck; the Powers that Be seem to feel differently.

squierbypetzl

Apr 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #7 of 7 (460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got kinda side-tracked. My point was that elite college graduates are no guarantee if you're looking to create a just system (morality aside; "justice" from an etymological view of equilibrium). They can, and many times do, serve the interests of the elite since they can, and many times are, themselves be part of that elite.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook