RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

dave76

Apr 22, 2012, 6:38 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1655 views)
Shortcut

weird click at thumb base
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi all,
I was training on the metolius rock rings tonight. I always use an openhanded grip. Still, when I am tired, I sometimes have the tendency to bring my thumb closer to the hand. When it happened tonight, I counteracted the tendency and instinctively moved my thumb into an open position while hanging. It made a weird elastic click at the base where it joins the hand. I left my grip, but everything felt normal, no pain or swelling, or anything, and I resumed and completed my exercise.

I am now wondering if I should worry about this though. It felt like moving the thumb while the hand was under tension made some ligament/tendon click over something. Since there's no pain I shouldn't probably worry, but at the same time I'd be happy to hear what you think or if it ever happened to anyone.

Express

Apr 23, 2012, 2:35 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dave76] weird click at thumb base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or medical professional of any kind

I also have a thumb click and pop on my left hand. The thumb can actually make a sound similar to cracking one of my other fingers and I can feel it slip a little over whatever bone is at the base. While it's a little weird, it never presents any functional issues for me whether climbing or not.

Is yours recurring or was it a single occurrence?

dave76

Apr 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Express] weird click at thumb base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hi,
this was really the only occurrence I can recall, and it was definitely triggered by moving the thumb away from the hand. For now it feels ok, I'll see the next time I go climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook