RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

nataliebee

Oct 9, 2011, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 22 (11730 views)
Shortcut

Advice for new climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing on and off for a little less than a year now, but have been off for the past few months. Does anyone have any advice on easing back into it? How to not get discouraged or get down on yourself? I've also really just bouldered and am hoping to get on rope soon. Any advice on that transition? I'm a girl that almost always climbs with dudes, so it's easy to feel left behind. And lastly, I've climbed mainly indoors and am just starting to get out on real rock. Any advice on thaaat transition?

anything would be appreciated!

jcd82

Oct 9, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #2 of 22 (11675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nataliebee] Advice for new climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'm also a girl climber, more often than not surrounded by macho guy climbers. Just pick the right ones! They may be way better than you, but they are all extremely humble and knowledgeable. Be willing to accept advice and it's amazing how much you can learn from just one trip outside. If you stick with it and climb consistently you will start to see TONS of progress.

Good luck and happy climbing!

Kartessa

Oct 9, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 22 (11644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try not to set expectations, just go with the flow, challenge yourself and accept that nobody climbs 5.12 overnight.

Most importantly, have fun!

ctrickey

Apr 20, 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #4 of 22 (11132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In terms of not getting discouraged because of not climbing in a while, I would suggest taking it slow, especially if you are outdoors. Many people I have talked to have found that bouldering is quite intimidating, specifically because of the macho guys around. Personally I find them a little frustrating, and I'm a guy. Once you get onto a rope, you may find that it is even more fun than bouldering, because there is less competitive pressure.

For making the transition to roped climbing, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that you get to use your legs more for climbing, whereas bouldering is often very upper body focused.

Finally, remember why you are climbing. My guess is that its to have fun. Focus on doing routes that look fun, and that will probably help with the discouragement.

I hope that has been helpful.

jamesnater

Apr 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #5 of 22 (11105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you're climbing at a gym. Ignore the ratings and climb on "add-on" routes that you came up with yourself. Don't make them impossible though, because that defeats the purpose.

If you take away the V# from the equation, you're left with just the pure difficulty/challenge of working the moves and finally topping out, within your own ability. It will feel the same as before (when you were crushing V-whatevers) like nothing's changed, and it'll still be FUN, all because there are no numbers involved.

Once you're feeling strong again, start climbing the rated routes again. Though I no longer condone shooting for a goal to climb @ a certain difficulty, it IS nice to watch your own progression.

sungam

Apr 21, 2012, 8:41 AM
Post #6 of 22 (11032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Advice for new climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
If you're climbing at a gym. Ignore the ratings and climb on "add-on" routes that you came up with yourself..

sungam

Apr 21, 2012, 8:42 AM
Post #7 of 22 (11031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Advice for new climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dammit, I accidentally my grammar again. Oh well.

healyje

Apr 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #8 of 22 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been in and out of shape more than a dozen times over decades, sometimes for a couple of years at a stretch and swinging seasonally. Have been up 35 pounds at a crack and back down the same amount.

In my case I just accept my life will have cycles and rhythms some of which can be out of my control. I'm also not attached to climbing emotionally or intellectually such that it commands enough attention in my life to stay in top shape for it at all time like many do (and never getting out of shape is probably easier over the long haul).

But at this point living in the PNW and working long hours over the winter to have time in the summer to climb I've settled into a seasonal cycle and now kind of like the getting back to it every spring even if some of those springs are brutal comebacks.

As said, no point in beating on yourself, just commit to getting back in shape and take it a reasonable and steady pace and you'll be fine. As I said, I kind of like the in and out cycle at this point and have a pretty set series of benchmarks leads setup up to monitor my progress every year to know where I'm at.

Good luck.

sungam

Apr 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #9 of 22 (11012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nataliebee wrote:
I've been climbing on and off for a little less than a year now, but have been off for the past few months. Does anyone have any advice on easing back into it? How to not get discouraged or get down on yourself? I've also really just bouldered and am hoping to get on rope soon. Any advice on that transition? I'm a girl that almost always climbs with dudes, so it's easy to feel left behind. And lastly, I've climbed mainly indoors and am just starting to get out on real rock. Any advice on thaaat transition?

rockmonster195

Apr 22, 2012, 1:59 AM
Post #10 of 22 (10953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Natalie. I'm kind of looking for the same thing so if whoever helps you doesn't mind helping me as well could you shoot me an email and let me know? ThanksSmile

jamesnater

Apr 22, 2012, 2:30 AM
Post #11 of 22 (10939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
[image]http://i.imgur.com/ZMcmi.jpg[/image]

Dude, you REALLY like that pony lol

GeckoBat

Apr 22, 2012, 3:55 AM
Post #12 of 22 (10914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having recently reconnected with climbing, I found the best thing to keep in mind throughout this endeavor is to remember why you're doing it. I do it for the love of being on the wall, the movement and the pure adrenalin rush I get from it. If you're only doing it for the numbers, there are many other activities you can do to validate yourself.

Sometimes we get caught up in competing with others that we lose sight of why we do the things we do. Supportive and passionate friends will do more for your progress than a group full of wannabee rock stars. Be kind to those you meet, ask for beta, compliment those that truly impress you and you'll connect with good climbers that will be more than helpful. I've been fortunate to make the acquaintances of many very good local climbers, instructors and coaches. They've recognized my seriousness to improve and my patience to listen to advice. My local climbing community is the tits! I've never met so many genuinely kind and encouraging people.

sungam

Apr 22, 2012, 9:44 AM
Post #13 of 22 (10879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Advice for new climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
sungam wrote:
[image]http://i.imgur.com/ZMcmi.jpg[/image]

Dude, you REALLY like that pony lol
There are 5 of them, but yeah - I think they are hilarious.

sungam

Apr 22, 2012, 9:49 AM
Post #14 of 22 (10878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll make a pony-free post for once and say: If you are far below your previous climbing ability don't try or do routes that you have done previously. Especially ones you found easy. It really slaps you in the face with how much weaker/fatter/worse at climbing you have gotten and can be incredibly frustrating.

johnwesely

Apr 22, 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #15 of 22 (10859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I'll make a pony-free post for once and say: If you are far below your previous climbing ability don't try or do routes that you have done previously. Especially ones you found easy. It really slaps you in the face with how much weaker/fatter/worse at climbing you have gotten and can be incredibly frustrating.

But a great motivator.

sungam

Apr 22, 2012, 1:45 PM
Post #16 of 22 (10854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Advice for new climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

But a great motivator.
actually it makes me totally un-psyched.

karmiclimber

Apr 25, 2012, 9:02 AM
Post #17 of 22 (10672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nataliebee wrote:
How to not get discouraged or get down on yourself? I've also really just bouldered and am hoping to get on rope soon. Any advice on that transition? I'm a girl that almost always climbs with dudes, so it's easy to feel left behind. And lastly, I've climbed mainly indoors and am just starting to get out on real rock. Any advice on thaaat transition?

Ditch the dudes. Not permanently. Just enough to find your own way in climbing.

mr.tastycakes

Apr 25, 2012, 4:53 PM
Post #18 of 22 (10598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On and off for a year, and off for a few months doesn't sound like a lot of climbing. Just enjoy climbing. Don't worry so much about performing at this point; you're a beginner. It's a beautiful time, you'll soak up knowledge and movement technique like sponge, and you'll improve drastically month to month. Say "yes" to every climbing trip you get invited on (unless you think your partner is a reckless sociopath), climb in as many different locations and in as many different styles as you can, make friends a build a network of partners (meet more female climbers too; they're out there). Just enjoy! Later on you can quash the last bits of excitement from climbing by adopting a regimented training plan and devoting all your time to one mega-project. Wink

And get the book "Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills" by Craig Leubben so you don't kill yourself.

linejudge

May 9, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #19 of 22 (10289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey NB,

First, welcome back. I have also been an on/off again climber. Matter of fact, I got extremely frustrated after awhile. Here are some things that have helped me; take them as advice if you want.

As others have mentioned, just have fun. If you feel like pushing yourself, then push. If not, then don't. Maybe you go to the gym and just boulder. Maybe you go to the gym and just hang with people you know. Maybe you complete a route and maybe you don't. Doesn't really matter for right now. Just have fun. Climb whatever you want. Disregard the grades for right now. Later, you might go back and push a little more.

Transistioning outdoors can be a lot of fun. If you look at it that way. Take your time, do not get discouraged and be prepared to climb a lot lower rated routes than you do in the gym.

Overall, my advice would be this. I have found that the folks in my area/region/neckofthewoods don't care if you can on-site a 5.12b or if you freak on a 5.5. What I discovered was our similiar interests in having fun while climbing. Laughing, being outside and overcoming the challenges that are specific to each of us will help ease you back into climbing.

mike-f

May 29, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #20 of 22 (9880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stamina is quite an issue, especially if you've had time off. Rather than just working on graded problems at your limit, try getting a partner to help you on a climbing wall by using a pointer to indicate each next hold while you traverse. Take it in turns and have a bit of fun.

Try to climb once a week but do something else as well, like jogging for example. It can make a huge difference.

When you get out, practice your belaying and offer to belay whenever you can. If you feel nervous, say so and get someone else to watch you and hold the rope behind you until you have confidence. Get your partner to jump off a couple of times so you can experience holding a fall. If your partner is heavier than you learn how to place a belay anchor.

Try to climb with people you like, and (we hope!) people who like you. If you offer to belay, you will be able to climb second, 'top roped' and benefit from help and advice from the lead climber on trad or sport routes. Remember, every 'dude' still needs a belayer he can rely on, and he'll want to help you. You'll know when you're ready to try a lead. Meanwhile, just have fun!

malinamartis

May 30, 2012, 5:31 AM
Post #21 of 22 (9807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well i am too new here, nice discussion is going on will be back here very soon..thanks

climbingfit

Jun 26, 2012, 9:51 PM
Post #22 of 22 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm somewhat of a beginner myself. The main thing that helps me be prepared is physical training. My technique definitely has room for improvement but my strength and fitness make it easier to focus on other areas to improve my climbing. If you think you could use help training for the physical aspects of climbing, check out climbingfit.com.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook