Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Rotator Cuff pain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

 


outsidethelines


Apr 26, 2012, 6:45 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2012
Posts: 14

Rotator Cuff pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone,

I've been learning to lead climb recently so I have been focusing on that and top roping and haven't been bouldering for a while. Today, I bouldered for about two hours with lots of breaks in between routes. I was doing problems that are well within my skill range but about five minutes after I stopped climbing, the rotator cuff in both of my shoulders became really tight and sore.

My friend suggested I do some push ups, which helped a lot and relieved the pain completely in my left shoulder and almost completely in my right. I also did some basic stretches and those seemed to help as well.

I was wondering if anybody has any tips on how to prevent an injury to my rotator cuff or stretches/exercises to build strength or stability so that this isn't an issue anymore. Thanks for the help!


onceahardman


Apr 27, 2012, 2:47 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [outsidethelines] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

outsidethelines wrote:
about five minutes after I stopped climbing, the rotator cuff in both of my shoulders became really tight and sore.

How do you know it was your rotator cuffs that were sore?


outsidethelines


Apr 27, 2012, 5:24 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2012
Posts: 14

Re: [onceahardman] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
outsidethelines wrote:
about five minutes after I stopped climbing, the rotator cuff in both of my shoulders became really tight and sore.

How do you know it was your rotator cuffs that were sore?

I have a friend with medical training who asked me to point out where it hurt


shimanilami


Apr 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 24, 2006
Posts: 2043

Re: [outsidethelines] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

outsidethelines wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
How do you know it was your rotator cuffs that were sore?

I have a friend with medical training who asked me to point out where it hurt

Classic!


onceahardman


Apr 28, 2012, 5:30 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [outsidethelines] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

outsidethelines wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
outsidethelines wrote:
about five minutes after I stopped climbing, the rotator cuff in both of my shoulders became really tight and sore.

How do you know it was your rotator cuffs that were sore?

I have a friend with medical training who asked me to point out where it hurt

Where did you point?


myrand


Apr 30, 2012, 6:48 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2948 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2012
Posts: 5

Re: [onceahardman] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

don't mess with a rotator cuff injury.
google it, you'll freak out.
LOTS of informations on youtube and Google. look basically for physiotherapy recommended treatments and that kind of stuff, you will end up finding the good exercises to strengthen it. look for studies more than anything else. professionals publish a lot of that stuff online.

before you do anything, go see a doctor. a professional with university degree that can tell you exactly where is the problem so you can target rehab and heal faster and better. some of those muscles will never heal if they rip, the only solution if its a small enough tear is to strengthen around it and compensate. otherwise there is surgery. i did not wanted to go at the butcher-shop so i did my job slowly but effectively.
i am not done with mine and its been almost a year so far since i got that injury.
the key is flexibility. try some yoga, its fun and good for you.


onceahardman


May 1, 2012, 5:19 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2890 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [outsidethelines] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm sorry for the snarky answer, but I've been doing this a long time, and I have never heard a patient walk in and say, "I have rotator cuff pain". It's just a weird presentataion.

To answer your question, googling "rotator cuff strengthening: yields 128,000 hits:

http://www.google.com/...biw=1192&bih=466


outsidethelines


May 2, 2012, 9:36 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2849 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2012
Posts: 14

Re: [onceahardman] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
I'm sorry for the snarky answer, but I've been doing this a long time, and I have never heard a patient walk in and say, "I have rotator cuff pain". It's just a weird presentataion.

To answer your question, googling "rotator cuff strengthening: yields 128,000 hits:

http://www.google.com/...biw=1192&bih=466

I just happen to really trust my friend and I also googled the location of the rotator cuff and it was exactly where I was having pain. Do you have any specific exercises you would recommend?


onceahardman


May 2, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2837 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2473

Re: [outsidethelines] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That really is odd. Honest.

The rotator cuff is a group of four muscles which originate on the scapula, and insert at four distinct locations on the humerus. So saying:

In reply to:
I also googled the location of the rotator cuff and it was exactly where I was having pain.

is practically impossible, unless your entire scapula (anterior and posterior) and four distinct locations on the proximal humerus were all simultaneously and equally painful is just...weird. Borderline impossible.

All of the exercises found in the first couple of entries I linked are classic rotator cuff exercises.


outsidethelines


May 2, 2012, 5:26 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2012
Posts: 14

Re: [onceahardman] Rotator Cuff pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
That really is odd. Honest.

The rotator cuff is a group of four muscles which originate on the scapula, and insert at four distinct locations on the humerus. So saying:

In reply to:
I also googled the location of the rotator cuff and it was exactly where I was having pain.

is practically impossible, unless your entire scapula (anterior and posterior) and four distinct locations on the proximal humerus were all simultaneously and equally painful is just...weird. Borderline impossible.

All of the exercises found in the first couple of entries I linked are classic rotator cuff exercises.

Alright fair enough. Thanks for the info :)


Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook