RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

derk424

Apr 28, 2012, 5:54 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1212 views)
Shortcut

Last few weeks of training before major trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In about 20 days i have a trip out to Boulder, Co. Currently, my major concern is dieting to get to the lowest weight possible without sacrificing muscle growth.

But my question is given the short period of time, what training will give me the most benefit for a bouldering centric trip.

Im currently flashing v5s, and working v7s.

If more info is needed on my part, just let me know. Thank You for the advice!

shotwell

Apr 28, 2012, 6:14 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [derk424] Last few weeks of training before major trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

derk424 wrote:
In about 20 days i have a trip out to Boulder, Co. Currently, my major concern is dieting to get to the lowest weight possible without sacrificing muscle growth.

But my question is given the short period of time, what training will give me the most benefit for a bouldering centric trip.

Are you currently in a training cycle? If so, what is it? How long are you staying in Boulder? What are your trip goals?

My opinion is that you'll be best served by getting your skin in good condition for outdoor climbing. It will help you extend your sessions and let you climb more while you're there. Good luck finding something that works for you, it seems to be pretty different for everyone.

ClimbClimb

Apr 29, 2012, 6:05 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may be a less specific or pro tip than you deserve, but one thing that I often forget about - and am always reminded of - is the importance of good old endurance cardio. The beauty of it is that unlike finger strength, you can make a lot of progress in a couple of weeks, and it doesn't interfere with the rest of your work out.

It's annoying, though, b.c. bouldering or climbing is so much more fun than cardio. Smile

Rufsen

Apr 30, 2012, 5:11 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Last few weeks of training before major trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
derk424 wrote:

Are you currently in a training cycle? If so, what is it? How long are you staying in Boulder? What are your trip goals?

My opinion is that you'll be best served by getting your skin in good condition for outdoor climbing. It will help you extend your sessions and let you climb more while you're there. Good luck finding something that works for you, it seems to be pretty different for everyone.

+1

Skin and the ability to do more boulders in a single session, and have several hard days in a row. Work on increasing the volume of bouldering you can handle, but slowly as you dont want to get injured. Preferably on rock, not plastic.

mheyman

Apr 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not saying not to train, but most important thing as time gets shorter is not to injure yourself. It is so easy to do bouldering, and finger injuries take so long to heal.

flesh

Apr 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #6 of 7 (989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Last few weeks of training before major trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of volume the first two weeks. On the last week limit yourself to two sessions.

mr.tastycakes

Apr 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #7 of 7 (988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Power endurance and stamina respond quickly to training. So, if I were you I'd do some high intensity bouldering interval training, like 4x2's or 6x2's, and some stamina workouts, like CIR/VIR bouldering. Perhaps 2 hard workouts per week for the next 2 weeks, alternating PE and Stamina days, is a good place to start, depending on how well trained you are to begin with.

Take 5-7 days rest before your trip and don't get freakin' injured while training. Maybe do some very light climbing on your rest week to keep your movement sharp, maybe just rest depending on how you feel.

Have fun!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook