RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

AustinSwan2193

May 1, 2012, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Transitioning from Indoor to Outdoor Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Forum members-

I'm looking for any information about making the transition from indoor to outdoor climbing. My partner and I have been climbing for quite some time now. We are both comfortable top roping and leading routes. We are in the Chicagoland area and are looking to start outdoors in the Southern Illinois region. Gear, technique, etiquette, etc...

Anything is appreciated, thanks!

-A.Swan

bearbreeder

May 1, 2012, 7:23 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AustinSwan2193] Transitioning from Indoor to Outdoor Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. local alpine clubs

2. guided course

3. durty ole men in the gym who are experienced

4. credible books

http://www.amazon.com/...019&sr=1-1-fkmr0

sungam

May 1, 2012, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AustinSwan2193] Transitioning from Indoor to Outdoor Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately there is a lot more to rigging anchors/setting up TRs etc. outdoors then indoors. Luckily it can all be taught to you easily by someone who knows what they are doing. Your best bet for getting outside is heading out with some more experienced climbers.

As for etiquette, just be totally awesome to everyone and respect their aims for being at the crag. Some people are there for a laugh and some fun, some for some peace and quiet. If you fall into the first group (I sure as fuck do) try not to be too obnoxious (I am).

amphotography89

May 2, 2012, 2:10 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AustinSwan2193 wrote:
Forum members-

... We are in the Chicagoland area and are looking to start outdoors in the Southern Illinois region. Gear, technique, etiquette, etc...

-A.Swan
Where in the Chicagoland area are you from? I am too.

AustinSwan2193

May 2, 2012, 3:21 AM
Post #5 of 8 (5840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amphotography89] Transitioning from Indoor to Outdoor Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Downers Grove area. My partner and I mostly climb at Vertical Endevors when we're not in the South Loop at school.

majid_sabet

May 2, 2012, 5:18 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

AustinSwan2193 wrote:
Forum members-

I'm looking for any information about making the transition from indoor to outdoor climbing. My partner and I have been climbing for quite some time now. We are both comfortable top roping and leading routes. We are in the Chicagoland area and are looking to start outdoors in the Southern Illinois region. Gear, technique, etiquette, etc...

-A.Swan

here

start taking notes

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...orum_view_collapsed;

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 2, 2012, 5:19 AM)

amphotography89

May 2, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AustinSwan2193 wrote:
Downers Grove area. My partner and I mostly climb at Vertical Endevors when we're not in the South Loop at school.
I used to go to school in the south loop now I live in the northwest suburbs. How's the gym out there?

gypc

Jun 11, 2012, 5:49 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of my experience is from bouldering, but regardless the same lessons apply, just without the ropes. I made a point to work on foot work in the gym, and try to make the problems "tracking" even if they weren`t labeled as such, and building confidence on poor, over used jibs certainly helps outside when theres not alot of nice places for your feet, you know that little ripple that sticks out a little further than the rest is gona work. And obviosly gym skin isn`t as strong as outdoor skin, but your callouses should be strong enough to be a good starter, just remember real rock is alot sharper than plastic, so you want to be as static as possible, atleast until your hands get used to the rock you`re on. I boulder in western pa and west virginia on a lot of gritty stuff, so this is also kind of dependent where and what you`re climbing. I did spend a day doing trad at seneca rocks, and although we weren`t doing anything crazy due to my lack of experience with trad and heights, the rock was no where near as gritty as I normally climb. As far as ettique, its pretty much common sense with anything you`re "new" at, be polite and don`t be a slob, listen to everything, but take somethings with a grain of salt. You`ll no doubt come across people that make you shake your head watching, observe and don`t do what they do! And with any outdoor activity try to leave as little trace as possible. And ultimatly have fun!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook