RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bigfish318

May 6, 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6416 views)
Shortcut

Ebay arcteryx
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there,

I'm buying a friend a gift. I was wondering if any has any experience buying arcteryx on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARCTERYX-HOODY-ATOM-LT-MENS-SMALL-BLACK-NEW-/180865453107#vi-content

Is this legit? It is at about 50$ under retail.

I found this article help me out but I hoping to get extra feedback.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Arc-apos-teryx-Fakes-how-to-spot-them-before-you-buy?ugid=10000000009673905

Thanks,
Vincent

sungam

May 7, 2012, 9:42 AM
Post #2 of 10 (6326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfish318] Ebay arcteryx [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No way to know if it's real till you get it, but there is definitely a lot of fake arcteryx/the noth face stuff kicked around ebay.

jeepnphreak

May 7, 2012, 8:26 PM
Post #3 of 10 (6259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well lets take a look at this and see what we can detemine.
From ebay fake list. we have...abridged cut and past...

1. The seller originates in China? Hard to tell form their ad, they claim USA but have no state, I would be cautious here.

1.a The new trick is to use a false origin. They are using CA. United States or US. United States or others as there location of origin and they offer Free Shipping. Look at what else the seller has listed, bunch of jersey's right but the shipping on the fake jersey's is $25 or $28 read the shipping description and you will see that the items are coming from overseas... and you will have to pay return certified shipping ($$$$$) to get your money back. Not as far as I can tell, everything seems to have free shipping. And there is no mention of certified return shipping. so maby ok here

2. The seller has little or no feedback or 100% positive feedback but only as a buyer and 0 feedback as a seller, this is a big clue, if they do have feedback make sure and read it all, look for that 1 buyer that says they think they received a fake or counterfeit, most buyers just assume that the article is legit, Nope, most of the feed back is good. 1 person calims to have recieved a fake, seller claims that his stuff in legit but still offered an return. So maby ok here

3. The seller has no return policy listed or just a no returns policy listed. He/she does

4. The seller has multiple sizes listed and you are to pick the size you want at time of purchase. Huge Red Flag here, look at some of the big sellers auctions and you will never see multiple sizes listed, No he has size listed per item

5. The seller has little to no description of the product, no model name like Alpha, Theta, Gamma, Sidewinder, etcetera.
Model is listed, so maby ok here

6. The seller will have some lame description to try and make you believe how honest they are like = "Hello dear friend, it was kept very well. With the perfect style, nice design, wonderful workmanship, it is in good condition, no crack and no chip. And I quote lame ass description copied right from ebay example list "New with tags: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as the original box or bag) and/or with the original tags attached'' so I would be cautious here

7. The price is too good to be true, remember the old saying? it's very true on E-bay, Well with a goole shopping search the price in right on the low end of what you can buy the coat for from several companys.

7b. The new trick they are using is to drive up there own prices with the same bidder bidding on all sizes,fakes.
There is no bidding on the jacket just a buy it now . . .

8. If there is a description it's usually just copied straight from the Arc website along with the sizing chart and picture. This tip is iffy to me because I have bought many items with this kind of description, but the seller was only selling one item at a time. But if the seller uses the stock arc description and one like tip 6 and the item originates in China it’s a pretty safe bet it’s a Fake. Looks like it not just a direst cut and past from arcterix website so maby ok then

9. Ask the seller to send you some pictures of the item, make sure to ask for pictures of the tag and zippers, if the item is advertised as Gore-Tex, the legitimate Arc tag will show what type of gore-tex (Pro Shell, XCR, Packlite, Soft-shell, Windstopper) if it just say's Gore-Tex it's a counterfeit tag, Arc uses only YKK zippers, (at least on the over 50 Arc'teryx items that I own) even on there long underwear, if it's not YKK zipper it's a fake, you can also tell by the pull tabs,
compare to the Arc website. Know the difference between a picture stolen from the website and one taken from a camera. Odds are that if you ask for the pictures of these items you won't get them anyway. Fake. Please don't ask the seller if the item is authentic or the real thing, (I see this time and time again) what do you think they are going to say? remember we are dealing with international thieves here, ask for pictures if you get no reply it's a Fake.
Do this, this is proabaly your best bet for finding out if the jacket is a fake.

10. The listing is usually just a two day listing, I have seen longer listings and a lot of legitimate sellers only do two day listing so this is another iffy tip to be used in conjunction with the other tips, but I do believe that the China boy's want to get in, rob you and get out as quickly as they can, then when you file a dispute they will no longer be a registered seller on e-bay and you are out your money.
Good news here is that it had 11 days left on the clock...

There is enough here to suggest that its the real deal, but looking at his ebay site the guy sound like a total tool, and makes it difficult to make returns although offered. IMHO I wold not do busness with him and go with a reputable dealer. I did a spadout.com search and found several site that have this for about what the ebay listing is for.

Nitrox

May 8, 2012, 1:19 AM
Post #4 of 10 (6197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Ebay arcteryx [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
Well lets take a look at this and see what we can detemine.
From ebay fake list. we have...abridged cut and past...

1. The seller originates in China? Hard to tell form their ad, they claim USA but have no state, I would be cautious here.

1.a The new trick is to use a false origin. They are using CA. United States or US. United States or others as there location of origin and they offer Free Shipping. Look at what else the seller has listed, bunch of jersey's right but the shipping on the fake jersey's is $25 or $28 read the shipping description and you will see that the items are coming from overseas... and you will have to pay return certified shipping ($$$$$) to get your money back. Not as far as I can tell, everything seems to have free shipping. And there is no mention of certified return shipping. so maby ok here

2. The seller has little or no feedback or 100% positive feedback but only as a buyer and 0 feedback as a seller, this is a big clue, if they do have feedback make sure and read it all, look for that 1 buyer that says they think they received a fake or counterfeit, most buyers just assume that the article is legit, Nope, most of the feed back is good. 1 person calims to have recieved a fake, seller claims that his stuff in legit but still offered an return. So maby ok here

3. The seller has no return policy listed or just a no returns policy listed. He/she does

4. The seller has multiple sizes listed and you are to pick the size you want at time of purchase. Huge Red Flag here, look at some of the big sellers auctions and you will never see multiple sizes listed, No he has size listed per item

5. The seller has little to no description of the product, no model name like Alpha, Theta, Gamma, Sidewinder, etcetera.
Model is listed, so maby ok here

6. The seller will have some lame description to try and make you believe how honest they are like = "Hello dear friend, it was kept very well. With the perfect style, nice design, wonderful workmanship, it is in good condition, no crack and no chip. And I quote lame ass description copied right from ebay example list "New with tags: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as the original box or bag) and/or with the original tags attached'' so I would be cautious here

7. The price is too good to be true, remember the old saying? it's very true on E-bay, Well with a goole shopping search the price in right on the low end of what you can buy the coat for from several companys.

7b. The new trick they are using is to drive up there own prices with the same bidder bidding on all sizes,fakes.
There is no bidding on the jacket just a buy it now . . .

8. If there is a description it's usually just copied straight from the Arc website along with the sizing chart and picture. This tip is iffy to me because I have bought many items with this kind of description, but the seller was only selling one item at a time. But if the seller uses the stock arc description and one like tip 6 and the item originates in China it’s a pretty safe bet it’s a Fake. Looks like it not just a direst cut and past from arcterix website so maby ok then

9. Ask the seller to send you some pictures of the item, make sure to ask for pictures of the tag and zippers, if the item is advertised as Gore-Tex, the legitimate Arc tag will show what type of gore-tex (Pro Shell, XCR, Packlite, Soft-shell, Windstopper) if it just say's Gore-Tex it's a counterfeit tag, Arc uses only YKK zippers, (at least on the over 50 Arc'teryx items that I own) even on there long underwear, if it's not YKK zipper it's a fake, you can also tell by the pull tabs,
compare to the Arc website. Know the difference between a picture stolen from the website and one taken from a camera. Odds are that if you ask for the pictures of these items you won't get them anyway. Fake. Please don't ask the seller if the item is authentic or the real thing, (I see this time and time again) what do you think they are going to say? remember we are dealing with international thieves here, ask for pictures if you get no reply it's a Fake.
Do this, this is proabaly your best bet for finding out if the jacket is a fake.

10. The listing is usually just a two day listing, I have seen longer listings and a lot of legitimate sellers only do two day listing so this is another iffy tip to be used in conjunction with the other tips, but I do believe that the China boy's want to get in, rob you and get out as quickly as they can, then when you file a dispute they will no longer be a registered seller on e-bay and you are out your money.
Good news here is that it had 11 days left on the clock...

There is enough here to suggest that its the real deal, but looking at his ebay site the guy sound like a total tool, and makes it difficult to make returns although offered. IMHO I wold not do busness with him and go with a reputable dealer. I did a spadout.com search and found several site that have this for about what the ebay listing is for.

The description of condition is Ebay's canned description. $150 is only 25% off retail, not the discount you'd normally see with a knock-off. Some of that negative feedback indicates returns made so I'd say it's safe to assume it's legit. Pay with a credit card if you're unsure.

bigfish318

May 8, 2012, 6:14 AM
Post #5 of 10 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nitrox] Ebay arcteryx [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The seller has a no return policy. I just wonder why would someone have that policy if they are confident in they are product they are selling.

Here was her response when asking her:

Dear bigfish318,

I understand the need to feel that way. My feedback is representation of the type of seller we are.
Unfortunately, we dont do returns, because it is a job in itself. Also the shipping back and forth is too expensive
We have very good prices, however it is a compromise due to no returns. If you are uncertain, please reconsider making a purchase of this amount. We take pride in good feedback, and I would risk losing a sale to avoid any problems
I hope u understand
Thanks,
Jxxxxxx

gosharks

May 8, 2012, 6:20 AM
Post #6 of 10 (6146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfish318 wrote:
The seller has a no return policy. I just wonder why would someone have that policy if they are confident in they are product they are selling.

Here was her response when asking her:

Dear bigfish318,

I understand the need to feel that way. My feedback is representation of the type of seller we are.
Unfortunately, we dont do returns, because it is a job in itself. Also the shipping back and forth is too expensive
We have very good prices, however it is a compromise due to no returns. If you are uncertain, please reconsider making a purchase of this amount. We take pride in good feedback, and I would risk losing a sale to avoid any problems
I hope u understand
Thanks,
Jxxxxxx
I actually like that response from the seller.

I've sold here and there on eBay before, and never accepted returns for similar reasons.

bigfish318

May 8, 2012, 6:28 AM
Post #7 of 10 (6141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The bottom passage is from the "how to spot fake arcteryx from ebay guide"

I noticed in the end, the person writing the article got duped by someone named donna. The screen name of seller selling the arcteryx jacket i am currently looking at is donna777julie. I dont if this is a coincidence or if i'm noticing a key detail. The passage reads as following:

Here is one last helpful hint, never let the time to file a dispute expire, no matter what the seller say's, no matter how good the excuse is and remember the time frame to file a dispute with PayPal in less then the E-bay time frame. Here's how I got taken, I purchased two arc jackets from outdoorgear46 who I believed to be a honest seller, I had purchased some other items from her but this time she gave me excuse after excuse like, E-bay did a automatic relisting of the item and that she would have more of the same item that I won (and paid for) in stock in a few weeks, so I waited and waited and when I contacted her again she said that she had given me a refund, wrong, I sent her my pay pal statement and the next day she was no longer a registered e-bay user and I am out $550, thanks Donna. Yes it's my own fault and yes I'm an idiot. Please learn from my mistake.

Nitrox

May 8, 2012, 6:29 AM
Post #8 of 10 (6140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] Ebay arcteryx [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For what it's worth I bought an Atom LT on Ebay for $150 and it was real. Not the same seller but the price and venue alone isn't an indicator of authenticity.

bigfish318

May 8, 2012, 6:39 AM
Post #9 of 10 (6136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nitrox] Ebay arcteryx [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I needed examining this one too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-MENS-ARCTERYX-KAPPA-SV-HOODY-COLOR-BLK-GREEN-BIN-299-90-FREE-SHIPPING-/280875491474?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item41657be092#ht_500wt_1023

My last few comments were referring to this add.

Based on your guys comments, I think I am going to get the atom Lt.

I appreciate the helping knowledge.

majid_sabet

May 8, 2012, 6:48 AM
Post #10 of 10 (6132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dude has proper feedback with almost no bad report so look real to me.

I bought over $22000 worth of stuff on ebay in 2011 so I know real guys from thieves.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook