RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

tsaruby

May 15, 2012, 9:54 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Static rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

G'day all,

Been reading the site for a while and finding some very knowledgable (and the other type) of folks on here. Great site. To me this seems like a no-brainer but I thought I'd see what everyone thought.

TR soloing - have my 10.2mm dynamic to climb with protection being mostly passive (soon to get active) but I want to pick the collective brains trust about using a stock standard braided rope as a 2nd/backup rope rather than a static abseil/kernmantle rope.

Having loops every 1 1/2mtrs or so means I would need to get a fairly long rope for the local climb locale (most are 35 -40m routes). As it's a backup only am I missing any major issues (other than the lack of give during a fall) that should be standing out like the proverbial Wink.

Cheers in advance and again great site.

Tsaruby

jt512

May 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tsaruby] Static rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tsaruby wrote:
G'day all,

Been reading the site for a while and finding some very knowledgable (and the other type) of folks on here. Great site. To me this seems like a no-brainer but I thought I'd see what everyone thought.

TR soloing - have my 10.2mm dynamic to climb with protection being mostly passive (soon to get active) but I want to pick the collective brains trust about using a stock standard braided rope as a 2nd/backup rope rather than a static abseil/kernmantle rope.

Having loops every 1 1/2mtrs or so means I would need to get a fairly long rope for the local climb locale (most are 35 -40m routes). As it's a backup only am I missing any major issues (other than the lack of give during a fall) that should be standing out like the proverbial Wink.

Cheers in advance and again great site.

Tsaruby

Congratulations. You've outdone the incomprehensibility of Ceebo.

Jay

Colinhoglund

May 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Falling and static ropes = bad news. Cease and desist before you kill/maim yourself.

viciado

May 16, 2012, 1:21 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If by "stock standard braided rope as a 2nd/backup rope" you mean something other than a rated climbing rope (static or dynamic). You need to re-consider your options.

I have to agree with JT that your post is largely unclear.

1) Why are you refering to your pro for a TR solo? Are you asking something about your anchor?

2) It would be heklpful if you were to clearly and concisely describe your general system including how your back-up works in that system? You get kudos on the concise... ut it is not lcear as there are a variety of options given your description.

3) Why do you want to use static for back-up?

4) Beyond the static quesion, why would you choose an inferior grade material for a back-up (after all, it is to cover your tail if there is a catastrophic failure of your primary line)

5) If you are trying to economize (just guessing here), do you really need to buy more pro before you have all the basic elements of a solid, simple TR set up which includes your "back-up" as you call it? Sounds like poor funds management to me (no offence intended).

gunkiemike

May 16, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [viciado] Static rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

viciado wrote:

2) It would be heklpful if you were to clearly and concisely describe your general system including how your back-up works in that system? You get kudos on the concise... ut it is not lcear as there are a variety of options given your description.

Oh, the ironing!

tsaruby

May 16, 2012, 4:24 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK OK, I can see how what I wrote would read like a wtf moment. The second rope I am referring to is just to hang down the face with loops at regular intervals so I can clip into them if I need to come off the main line. eg changing from ascent to descent. Not as a back-up per se to the main line in case of failure.

I have the anchoring down fine thanks, my pro's are in there just to say that I am not using them when I unclip but they could be an option rather than the rope.

Cheers

Kartessa

May 16, 2012, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tsaruby wrote:
OK OK, I can see how what I wrote would read like a wtf moment. The second rope I am referring to is just to hang down the face with loops at regular intervals so I can clip into them if I need to come off the main line. eg changing from ascent to descent. Not as a back-up per se to the main line in case of failure.

I have the anchoring down fine thanks, my pro's are in there just to say that I am not using them when I unclip but they could be an option rather than the rope.

Cheers

Nope... Still don't get it.

tsaruby

May 16, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Static rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nevermind, I think I'll just use a second dynamic...many people on threads have said they used static ropes and I was looking to see what everyone thought as you are only clipping into it as an anchor. Hence I could use my pro's as the anchor but I like the second rope as a precaution to anything happening to the main.

Thanks for your time

Tsaruby

viciado

May 17, 2012, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Static rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I saw the typos, but didn't have time to go back and edit... Now I guess I have to leave it for posterity. Glad you got a giggle! Blush

Kartessa

May 18, 2012, 3:45 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tsaruby wrote:
Nevermind, I think I'll just use a second dynamic...many people on threads have said they used static ropes and I was looking to see what everyone thought as you are only clipping into it as an anchor. Hence I could use my pro's as the anchor but I like the second rope as a precaution to anything happening to the main.

Thanks for your time

Tsaruby

I must be a dumb n00b because I have no idea what the fuck "Pros" are on a solo toprope.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook