RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

matasw

May 16, 2012, 4:52 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2431 views)
Shortcut

TR Anchor Sabotoge! Is it real?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've always heard whispers and rumors of this but haven't really seen anything concrete. While reading the Indy' Climbing guide to MD yesterday I came across this line.

"Also, be warned, that while I have not had this experience, there are stories of non-friendly anti-climber types who occassionally come in and sabotage the top-rope anchors (like putting a cup and candle (lit) under your webbing). Just keep an eye open for such antics. "

This is actually from the section on the local crag I most frequent. Are there documented cases of people tampering with anchors? Or is this something that's usually just rumor? With the huge lack of respect for human life in Baltimore... the passage in Indy's Guide doesn't surprise me.

All I know is... if I saw someone lighting candles under anyone's anchors it would be worth me doing a dozen years or so in prison to teach them a valuable life lesson. Quite frankly i'd consider it attempted murder.

Source: http://www.indy-adventures.net/...guide.html#Ilchester

cwo2

May 16, 2012, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matasw] TR Anchor Sabotoge! Is it real? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

No personal experience of this in 20 years climbing in the area. Had to holler at some folks up top about throwing rocks, though, on my last visit to Ilchester last month.

I never did like just slipping a loop over the post there- not a bad idea to run a strand way back to a tree if you have enough static or webbing.

mojomonkey

May 16, 2012, 6:24 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

matasw wrote:
I've always heard whispers and rumors of this but haven't really seen anything concrete. While reading the Indy' Climbing guide to MD yesterday I came across this line.

"Also, be warned, that while I have not had this experience, there are stories of non-friendly anti-climber types who occassionally come in and sabotage the top-rope anchors (like putting a cup and candle (lit) under your webbing). Just keep an eye open for such antics. "

This is actually from the section on the local crag I most frequent. Are there documented cases of people tampering with anchors? Or is this something that's usually just rumor? With the huge lack of respect for human life in Baltimore... the passage in Indy's Guide doesn't surprise me.

All I know is... if I saw someone lighting candles under anyone's anchors it would be worth me doing a dozen years or so in prison to teach them a valuable life lesson. Quite frankly i'd consider it attempted murder.

Source: http://www.indy-adventures.net/...guide.html#Ilchester

Candles? That is pretty serious and I'd hope untrue. I've heard of people stealing gear from anchors though, and there was even this report of it happening to someone while the rope was in use!

LostinMaine

May 16, 2012, 6:30 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While climbing at Otter Cliffs in Acadia, have seen tourists feel the need to bend down and start "playing" with gear in a TR anchor before asking (while the belayer was sitting not 5 feet away looking over the cliff). Not quite sabotage, but disconcerting nonetheless.

matasw

May 16, 2012, 7:09 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cwo2] TR Anchor Sabotoge! Is it real? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always wonder about throwing things over that cliff too. The bottom is constantly littered with trash... I feel like its just a matter of time before I get nailed with a beer can.

I've been throwing a tensionless hitch over that post so it would take a little more work on their part to get it off. But the crowd up there is definitely a bit questionable sometimes.

The thought of someone throwing a candle under my line is absolutely terrifying. The fact that it's mentioned in a MD guide book causes a bit of concern though. I'd have to assume that even to non-climbers its common sense not to touch anchors running over a cliff.

SylviaSmile

May 16, 2012, 7:50 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

matasw wrote:
I always wonder about throwing things over that cliff too. The bottom is constantly littered with trash... I feel like its just a matter of time before I get nailed with a beer can.

I've been throwing a tensionless hitch over that post so it would take a little more work on their part to get it off. But the crowd up there is definitely a bit questionable sometimes.

The thought of someone throwing a candle under my line is absolutely terrifying. The fact that it's mentioned in a MD guide book causes a bit of concern though. I'd have to assume that even to non-climbers its common sense not to touch anchors running over a cliff.

Relying on others' "common sense" is always scary. Yet again, the most dangerous things in the wilderness are other humans . . . Unsure

wonderwoman

May 16, 2012, 8:18 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] TR Anchor Sabotoge! Is it real? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
Candles? That is pretty serious and I'd hope untrue. I've heard of people stealing gear from anchors though, and there was even this report of it happening to someone while the rope was in use!

Holy moly. That's my neck of the woods!

Partner j_ung

May 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, not only is Ilchester one of the worst crags on Earth, but murderers roam the woods there in search of climbers?

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook