Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


SylviaSmile


May 17, 2012, 8:34 AM
Post #1 of 21 (7795 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 983

Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.


dynosore


May 17, 2012, 8:38 AM
Post #2 of 21 (7787 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [SylviaSmile] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not climbing it at all would be easiest.

Troll much?


SylviaSmile


May 17, 2012, 8:44 AM
Post #3 of 21 (7773 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 983

Re: [dynosore] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Not climbing it at all would be easiest.

Troll much?

Well, clearly that would be easiest. I guess I am just trying to figure out how much of bouldering has to do with getting to the top of the rock vs. just making your arms sore. Smile


SylviaSmile


May 17, 2012, 8:48 AM
Post #4 of 21 (7767 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 983

Re: [dynosore] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Also, I don't troll, I just have silly thoughts sometimes.


lena_chita
Moderator

May 17, 2012, 8:57 AM
Post #5 of 21 (7744 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 6087

Re: [SylviaSmile] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Also, I don't troll, I just have silly thoughts sometimes.

Yes, very silly.

Rock climbing (or bouldering) is not about the easiest way to get to the top. it has nothing to do with the easiest way to get to the top. Even mountaneering is no longer about the easiest way to get to the top, as people choose to reach the summit by a more challenging route all the time.

Yes, you can walk to the top of a lot of boulders. You can also walk around the rock face and access the top in many cases.

Feel free to do both.


Partner cracklover


May 17, 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #6 of 21 (7713 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10161

Re: [lena_chita] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Also, I don't troll, I just have silly thoughts sometimes.

Yes, very silly.

Rock climbing (or bouldering) is not about the easiest way to get to the top. it has nothing to do with the easiest way to get to the top. Even mountaneering is no longer about the easiest way to get to the top, as people choose to reach the summit by a more challenging route all the time.

Yes, you can walk to the top of a lot of boulders. You can also walk around the rock face and access the top in many cases.

Feel free to do both.

Lena, you somewhat understate the case. Bouldering, even more than roped climbing, has the sole purpose of challenging yourself to do the hardest physical movement you can do.

Walking up the slabby side of the boulder, therefore, defeats the entire purpose.

Easier does not mean better. When it gets to be lunch time, it would be much easier for me to search for pictures of lunch online than to go and actually buy or make lunch. But it wouldn't really serve the purpose, would it?

GO


lena_chita
Moderator

May 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #7 of 21 (7703 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 6087

Re: [cracklover] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Also, I don't troll, I just have silly thoughts sometimes.

Yes, very silly.

Rock climbing (or bouldering) is not about the easiest way to get to the top. it has nothing to do with the easiest way to get to the top. Even mountaneering is no longer about the easiest way to get to the top, as people choose to reach the summit by a more challenging route all the time.

Yes, you can walk to the top of a lot of boulders. You can also walk around the rock face and access the top in many cases.

Feel free to do both.

Lena, you somewhat understate the case. Bouldering, even more than roped climbing, has the sole purpose of challenging yourself to do the hardest physical movement you can do.

Walking up the slabby side of the boulder, therefore, defeats the entire purpose.

Easier does not mean better. When it gets to be lunch time, it would be much easier for me to search for pictures of lunch online than to go and actually buy or make lunch. But it wouldn't really serve the purpose, would it?

GO

My first-impulse response contained words that would not have been appropriate from the moderator, so I opted for restraint and understatement.


jt512


May 17, 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #8 of 21 (7703 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [SylviaSmile] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.

Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on May 17, 2012, 10:10 AM)


SylviaSmile


May 17, 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #9 of 21 (7684 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 983

Re: [jt512] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.

Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Jay

Ok, thank you! This is what I wanted to know. I guess what it came down to in my mind that for some (most?) crags, there are several ways up and all of them are rock climbing, whereas for most boulders, there are several ways up and not all of them are rock climbing. So bouldering seems a little silly from the perspective of ascending a rock--I agree that it is awesome from the perspective of human physical ability, which is why I posted the video along with it.Smile


Partner cracklover


May 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #10 of 21 (7680 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10161

Re: [jt512] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.

Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Jay

I give you... The Saddest Problem Ever:


http://www.rockclimbing.com/...lem_Ever__68016.html

Cracks me up every time.

Cheers!

GO


jomagam


May 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #11 of 21 (7654 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [jt512] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Some say that the very definition of bouldering is the most difficult way to get nowhere.


mojomonkey


May 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #12 of 21 (7613 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 869

Re: [cracklover] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.

Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Jay

I give you... The Saddest Problem Ever:


http://www.rockclimbing.com/...lem_Ever__68016.html

Cracks me up every time.

Cheers!

GO

The comments on this one always makes me laugh:



jt512


May 17, 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #13 of 21 (7495 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [cracklover] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.

Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Jay

I give you... The Saddest Problem Ever:


http://www.rockclimbing.com/...lem_Ever__68016.html

Cracks me up every time.

Cheers!

GO

Love the crashpad. God forbid he should risk a bruised tush by taking an unprotected 4-inch fall onto a bed of leaves.

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on May 17, 2012, 10:38 PM)


USnavy


May 18, 2012, 1:05 AM
Post #14 of 21 (7463 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2667

Re: [SylviaSmile] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way?
haha, apparently I am not the only one that has noticed this. People in Yosemite often like to pull down on some V10 moves to reach the top of a rock that can be climbed via 3rd class on the back end. Wink But, the point of boudlering is not to get to the top of the rock as efficiently as possible. Actually, its more like getting to the top as inefficiently as possible. The idea is to build strength and technique pulling on the hardest possible moves.


guangzhou


May 18, 2012, 1:53 AM
Post #15 of 21 (7446 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way?
haha, apparently I am not the only one that has noticed this. People in Yosemite often like to pull down on some V10 moves to reach the top of a rock that can be climbed via 3rd class on the back end. Wink But, the point of boudlering is not to get to the top of the rock as efficiently as possible. Actually, its more like getting to the top as inefficiently as possible. The idea is to build strength and technique pulling on the hardest possible moves.

Bouldering is a lot like climbing, it's more about the chosen route than reaching the top.

You can scale the face of El-Capitan in Yosemite or you can walk around back. Both will put you on the summit.

One is called rock climbing, but the other is called hiking.


(This post was edited by guangzhou on May 18, 2012, 3:00 AM)


USnavy


May 18, 2012, 2:49 AM
Post #16 of 21 (7438 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2667

Re: [guangzhou] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
USnavy wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way?
haha, apparently I am not the only one that has noticed this. People in Yosemite often like to pull down on some V10 moves to reach the top of a rock that can be climbed via 3rd class on the back end. Wink But, the point of boudlering is not to get to the top of the rock as efficiently as possible. Actually, its more like getting to the top as inefficiently as possible. The idea is to build strength and technique pulling on the hardest possible moves.

Bouldering is a lot like climbing, it's more about the choose route than reaching the top.

You can scale the face of El-Capitan in Yosemite or you can walk around back. Both will put you on the summit.

One is called rock climbing, the other is called hiking.
When did I say bouldering is not climbing? I never said that. I said bouldering is about strength and technique training, and not about simply making it to the top of a rock.


guangzhou


May 18, 2012, 2:56 AM
Post #17 of 21 (7436 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [USnavy] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
USnavy wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way?
haha, apparently I am not the only one that has noticed this. People in Yosemite often like to pull down on some V10 moves to reach the top of a rock that can be climbed via 3rd class on the back end. Wink But, the point of boudlering is not to get to the top of the rock as efficiently as possible. Actually, its more like getting to the top as inefficiently as possible. The idea is to build strength and technique pulling on the hardest possible moves.

Bouldering is a lot like climbing, it's more about the choose route than reaching the top.

You can scale the face of El-Capitan in Yosemite or you can walk around back. Both will put you on the summit.

One is called rock climbing, the other is called hiking.
When did I say bouldering is not climbing? I never said that. I said bouldering is about strength and technique training, and not about simply making it to the top of a rock.

Not sure what you are referring to USnaive. Wasn't saying you said anything along those lines.

But, I know some people who only boulder and don't use it a training tool for strength and technique.

Personally, I seldom boulder. Sport climbing is my training tool of choice for both strength and technique. Also use it for improving my endurance.

.


(This post was edited by guangzhou on May 18, 2012, 3:03 AM)


Partner camhead


May 18, 2012, 6:14 AM
Post #18 of 21 (7380 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20939

Re: [jt512] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Ok, so this question keeps coming up in my mind: is bouldering really the best way to get up a given rock, namely, the boulder? I don't mean highball bouldering, which to me kind of looks like a short free solo, but more like those really overhanging problems you see on climbing videos. If the goal is getting to the top of the boulder, doesn't it make more sense from a practical perspective not to start underneath an overhanging section of it, but rather to walk around it and go up an easier way? For a lot of these smaller boulders it looks like you could literally just walk up it. Or are there really just a lot of medium size anvil-shaped boulders and that's where this style comes from? Oh, and lest anyone think I am hating on bouldering, this video is one of the most awesome climbing videos I have yet found.

Oddly enough, Sylvia, the goal of bouldering is to find the hardest way up the smallest rocks.

Jay

Though, it should be added, that most bouldering actually places more emphasis on reaching little mini-summits than sport climbing does.


ajkclay


May 18, 2012, 6:21 AM
Post #19 of 21 (7375 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 8, 2002
Posts: 1567

Re: [SylviaSmile] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

... and for a different perspective, in the sandstone pillars along the German / Czech border, Saxony Switzerland region you are not allowed to climb any face that you could walk to the top of.

Only pillars, not cliffs on the sides of hills.

So, it seems that it could be argued that in some regions, people agree with the root idea in the OP.

:)

Cheers

Adam


bearbreeder


May 18, 2012, 9:29 AM
Post #20 of 21 (7326 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [SylviaSmile] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

getting strong and making the hardest moves ....

many top level climbers often say that bouldering is one of the best ways of getting strong ...

i dont boulder a lot personally ... but those who do boulder tend to be much stronger climbers IME for sport and certain types of trad

heres what someone who knows something about climbing says about bouldering ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihL7kLPGmPo


SylviaSmile


May 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #21 of 21 (7287 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 983

Re: [bearbreeder] Am I misunderstanding bouldering? (with link to fave video) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
getting strong and making the hardest moves ....

many top level climbers often say that bouldering is one of the best ways of getting strong ...

i dont boulder a lot personally ... but those who do boulder tend to be much stronger climbers IME for sport and certain types of trad

heres what someone who knows something about climbing says about bouldering ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihL7kLPGmPo

Makes a lot of sense...I should do more bouldering!


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook