Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Matthew0718

May 17, 2012, 1:46 AM
Post #1 of 36 (13605 views)
Shortcut

Burn the Fat
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am 5 feet 7.5 inches 200 lbs. When I'm in my harness I appear to look really fat. Yes I have quite a bit of fat but a load of muscle underneath. What in your minds eye are great ways to burn that fat to become a better more confident climber

gblauer

May 17, 2012, 2:24 AM
Post #2 of 36 (13585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Matthew0718] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

do more cardio, cut calories, eat fresh, healthy, unprocessed food.

shockabuku

May 17, 2012, 4:32 AM
Post #3 of 36 (13540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:
So I am 5 feet 7.5 inches 200 lbs. When I'm in my harness I appear to look really fat. Yes I have quite a bit of fat but a load of muscle underneath. What in your minds eye are great ways to burn that fat to become a better more confident climber

Eat less, exercise more. Mostly eat less.

amarius

May 17, 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #4 of 36 (13480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Easiest way to curb calorie intake is to cut out sodas, and any drinks with added sugars. Very few recreational athletes require sports drinks, another hidden source of sugars.
And, stay away from artificially sweetened drinks - some research shows it is not good for metabolism
If you crave that carbonated taste, check out flavored seltzers, club sodas, etc.
Beer is, typically, the downfall for many.

wonderwoman

May 17, 2012, 5:20 PM
Post #5 of 36 (13410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:

I resemble that remark!

chadnsc

May 17, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #6 of 36 (13387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
amarius wrote:

I resemble that remark!

No I resemble that remark!

saint_john

May 17, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #7 of 36 (13374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:

Eat less, exercise more. Mostly eat less.

Agreed.

jt512

May 18, 2012, 5:24 AM
Post #8 of 36 (13280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How To Lose Weight To Improve Your Climbing

majid_sabet

May 18, 2012, 6:32 AM
Post #9 of 36 (13267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:

take a 60 days hiking trip in himalayas and above 13000 feet and you loose every fat you got on your body and come home 40 lbs lighter.

there is nothing else on earth that could burn so much fat and so clean than staying in higher altitude for long period of time.

SylviaSmile

May 18, 2012, 2:13 PM
Post #10 of 36 (13232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:

To burn the fat, just get your heart rate up and keep it up for about 20-30 minutes each day. To have fewer calories to burn, a big tip is to avoid eating out at restaurants. I always gain weight from consistently eating out--much better to make your own food!

granite_grrl

May 18, 2012, 2:30 PM
Post #11 of 36 (13221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:

take a 60 days hiking trip in himalayas and above 13000 feet and you loose every fat you got on your body and come home 40 lbs lighter.

there is nothing else on earth that could burn so much fat and so clean than staying in higher altitude for long period of time.

The problem here is the muscle atrophy that also occurs. Personally, I'll cope with carrying an extra 5-10lbs of fat if it helps me keep my muscle.

jomagam

May 18, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #12 of 36 (13175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Are you really burning more calories by being at high altitude ? One would think that you burn less because you can exercise less since there's not as much O2 to use.

majid_sabet

May 18, 2012, 5:32 PM
Post #13 of 36 (13152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Are you really burning more calories by being at high altitude ? One would think that you burn less because you can exercise less since there's not as much O2 to use.

in high alt, you need to maintain right body temp which takes a lot of calories however, you do not have much desire to eat so it works both way plus,fat is a slow burner and takes a long time to burn . if you look at polar bears, they eat as much as fat as they can before they take their winter sleep and 3-4 months later, when they come out of hole, they are slim to the bone.

When I climbed in himalayas, I spend 30 days between 13,000 -20,000 feet and after i returned, I lost 20lbs of fat. Your respiratory and hearth rate increases significantly which causes higher metabolism and if your intake is lower than what body needs, the extra fat covers the rest of need cals and that is how you burn it.

jomagam

May 18, 2012, 5:54 PM
Post #14 of 36 (13135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
in high alt, you need to maintain right body temp which takes a lot of calories however, you do not have much desire to eat so it works both way plus,fat is a slow burner and takes a long time to burn . if you look at polar bears, they eat as much as fat as they can before they take their winter sleep and 3-4 months later, when they come out of hole, they are slim to the bone.

When I climbed in himalayas, I spend 30 days between 13,000 -20,000 feet and after i returned, I lost 20lbs of fat. Your respiratory and hearth rate increases significantly which causes higher metabolism and if your intake is lower than what body needs, the extra fat covers the rest of need cals and that is how you burn it.

Wow, what a bunch of random facts.

1. High altitude doesn't necessarily mean low temperatures.

2. I have quickly lost 5 pounds moving from sea level to Denver. I think that was just the shock/stress of the altitude. I gained it back within a year.

3. Re polar bears: of course you lose weight if you don't eat for 3-4 month. I think generally you eat more fatty stuff when it's cold regardless of altitude.

I've read that the body becomes more efficient if you live at altitude for a long time, which suggest that you burn fewer calories. I can attest that my resting heart rate is about 5 bpm lower in Denver than it was in Florida.

Based on these it's still not clear to me if altitude has any effect on weight loss. Of course you'll burn fat if you hike a lot, but is it better to do the Colorado Trail than the Appalachian Trail ?

majid_sabet

May 18, 2012, 6:32 PM
Post #15 of 36 (13114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Wow, what a bunch of random facts.

1. High altitude doesn't necessarily mean low temperatures.

2. I have quickly lost 5 pounds moving from sea level to Denver. I think that was just the shock/stress of the altitude. I gained it back within a year.

3. Re polar bears: of course you lose weight if you don't eat for 3-4 month. I think generally you eat more fatty stuff when it's cold regardless of altitude.

I've read that the body becomes more efficient if you live at altitude for a long time, which suggest that you burn fewer calories. I can attest that my resting heart rate is about 5 bpm lower in Denver than it was in Florida.

Based on these it's still not clear to me if altitude has any effect on weight loss. Of course you'll burn fat if you hike a lot, but is it better to do the Colorado Trail than the Appalachian Trail ?

you can rest 30 days in your tent in high alt and yet, you still loose weight and this has nothing to do with hiking . You loose weight in alt based on lower food intake and higher cal buring to maintain the proper body core temp.

5000 feet in Denver does not count as high alt. take 12000 or more then you understand what i am talking about.

jomagam

May 18, 2012, 7:22 PM
Post #16 of 36 (13088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much of that 40 pound weight loss could you maintain ?

julio412

May 18, 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #17 of 36 (13028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to cheat, trying starting a course of broad spectrum antibiotics, tetracycline is a good one.
This will kill a large portion of the digestive gut buddies, which in turn means that most of what you eat simply goes through; crapped out.
I wouldn't do it for long, maybe a couple of weeks.
Once you've grown fat cells, all you can do is shrink them, they do not disappear.
Also remember that your body stores toxins in fat, so when you're doing any kind of rapid weight loss, you're going to feel a little shitty, due to the toxins being flushed THROUGH your body.
Use at own risk and good luck.

wonderwoman

May 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #18 of 36 (12975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [julio412] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

julio412 wrote:
If you want to cheat, trying starting a course of broad spectrum antibiotics, tetracycline is a good one.
This will kill a large portion of the digestive gut buddies, which in turn means that most of what you eat simply goes through; crapped out.
I wouldn't do it for long, maybe a couple of weeks.
Once you've grown fat cells, all you can do is shrink them, they do not disappear.
Also remember that your body stores toxins in fat, so when you're doing any kind of rapid weight loss, you're going to feel a little shitty, due to the toxins being flushed THROUGH your body.
Use at own risk and good luck.

That's sound & rational medical advice. Crazy

Metorn

May 20, 2012, 7:22 PM
Post #19 of 36 (12786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:
Strongly depends on your build, age and eating habbits.
Basic rule of "exercise more eat less" is a good one, with a stronger emphasis on "eat less" the older you are.
Do at least 10k steps each day, try to break the sweat each day, eat only food which is one or less process away from the natural form, avoid coffe and sodas, maintain 4:1 potassium/sodium ratio (lots of greens, no salt) and you will loose a lot of weight for good. Even if you don't you'll feel a ton better and we'll live a lot longer.

sungam

May 21, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #20 of 36 (12691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The messege has been pretty clear - eat fewer calories and burn more calories.

If you're looking for a good cardio workout to do that will help your climbing, the answer may be climbing. Head to the gym/crag (preferably the gym so you don't block a route off) and run laps on a really, really easy route for 30/40 minute circuits. Climb up and down, milk rests if you really need to but try to keep moving.

If you get burnt out early then the route is too hard.

Not only will the cardio help you lose weight/gain CV fitness, you'll also be getting a disgusting amount of milage moving over vertical ground, so it could help shape up your technique as well.

shockabuku

May 21, 2012, 3:31 PM
Post #21 of 36 (12672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

If you're looking for a good cardio workout to do that will help your climbing, the answer may be climbing. Head to the gym/crag (preferably the gym so you don't block a route off) and run laps on a really, really easy route for 30/40 minute circuits. Climb up and down, milk rests if you really need to but try to keep moving.

Not only will the cardio help you lose weight/gain CV fitness, you'll also be getting a disgusting amount of milage moving over vertical ground, so it could help shape up your technique as well.

Don't do that at the gym unless there's no one there.

billcoe_

May 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #22 of 36 (12569 views)
Shortcut

Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with the tapeworm diet.

mmmmmm

billcoe_

May 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #23 of 36 (12568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or you could do the right thing as noted above....eat properly and workout.

sungam

May 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #24 of 36 (12491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
sungam wrote:

Nah. Unless the gym is really crowded I will do this. I really don't care if you have been working a route in the gym. The gym is a gym, it's for training. How are you gunna get annoyed with someone because they are using it for its intended purpose?

shockabuku

May 22, 2012, 1:07 PM
Post #25 of 36 (12482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Burn the Fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
sungam wrote:

Nah. Unless the gym is really crowded I will do this. I really don't care if you have been working a route in the gym. The gym is a gym, it's for training. How are you gunna get annoyed with someone because they are using it for its intended purpose?

No gym that I've gone to says that its purpose is for training. Where'd you get that idea? Made it up over the internet?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook