RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Longie18

May 22, 2012, 8:14 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2651 views)
Shortcut

webbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I want to try slacklining, but I don't have an actual slackline or anything. I'm thinking I want to just try going the webbing and carabiner route considering I'm a poor college student that doesn't want to spend $70 on a brand name line. Any suggestions on webbing? And should I look for 1" or 2" wide webbing due to the newbie status?

uni_jim

May 23, 2012, 1:27 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Longie18] webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The absolute minimum would be this:

-One inch webbing of whatever length you want
-Three carabiners (preferably oval, but it doesn't really matter)
-2x Slings long enough for your trees

And by adding two steel rap rings you can make line lockers and go "Knot free" making setup and takedown easier.

smoot

May 23, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Longie18] webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

REI appears to have restocked their 1" tubular Climb-Spec webbing, which sells for $0.36/ft. It's rare to find a cheaper price unless you buy in bulk/spools. A good length of webbing to purchase as a beginner using a primitive/ellington style of tensioning is between 40-60ft for the line itself and then enough to make two anchor slings (either measure the circumphrence of the trees you will be tying up on and double that or figure about 14ft/ea, so an extra 28ft of webbing).

NWSlackline.org has a great write-up on using rap rings as line lockers (like Jim mentioned previously) in the primitive set-up: http://www.nwslackline.org/96/howto-setting-up-a-basic-primitive-slackline

The reality is that these purchases (~90ft webbing, 4 carabiners, 2 aluminum rap rings) will cost you about $65. Presumably, these "brand name" kits you mentioned use a ratchet to tension: something many slackliners do not like. But in terms of ease-of-use for a beginner, it's really hard to beat the Gibbon Classic (currently on sale at REI for $53).

Personally, I don't like the 2" line for anything other than tricks because I prefer walking with bare feet and find 1" much easier barefoot. If you can find other slackliners in your area, you should see what you like before making any purchase. BalanceCommunity has a new slackliner database you can use to find people in your area: http://www.balancecommunity.com/Slackliner-Database

BC is both a great source of information and an amazing shop: Jerry M (current longline recordholder) is incredibly knowledgeable and his deliveries are always prompt.

Hope this helps.
Attachments: slack_db.jpg (112 KB)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook