RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Kartessa

May 23, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #1 of 22 (13982 views)
Shortcut

Stinky backpack
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Before I begin, allow me to say: mods, don't touch this thread or there will be blood bacon.

I have a little backpack (BD Bbee ) and it smells like a disgusting combination of hippy, dirtbag and homeless. When I wear it in public, people offer me change for the bus or offer me wine. Anything to get the stench away from them.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to clean the bag and make it smell fresh like me?

clumsy

May 23, 2012, 2:42 AM
Post #2 of 22 (13957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Try No B.O. spray. http://www.simplyhockey.com/...orizer-id503159.php]

It works wonders on very stinky hockey bags, gloves etc...

billcoe_

May 23, 2012, 2:43 AM
Post #3 of 22 (13957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Before I begin, allow me to say: mods, don't touch this thread or there will be blood bacon.

I have a little backpack (BD Bbee ) and it smells like a disgusting combination of hippy, dirtbag and homeless. When I wear it in public, people offer me change for the bus or offer me wine. Anything to get the stench away from them.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to clean the bag and make it smell fresh like me?

well....if washing it won't do drizzle the nizzle some of this into it....these guys say it will smell good at least....

shockabuku

May 23, 2012, 2:57 AM
Post #4 of 22 (13941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

Damn, the posts above beg the question - just how fresh do you smell?

Washing machine?

This stuff?

It works wonders for my shoes.

uni_jim

May 23, 2012, 4:30 AM
Post #5 of 22 (13916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

YOU SMELL LIKE A HOMELESS DIRTBAG HIPPY AND YOU WANT PEOPLE TO NOT GIVE YOU SPARE CHANGE????????

Dude, either you are a homeless hippy dirtbag crusher and you need the money for your next bowl of Raman, or you're NOT a homeless hippy dirtbag and you have access to a front-load washer and some damn soap!

SylviaSmile

May 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #6 of 22 (13873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

I haven't tried it on packs, but baking soda does an awesome job of absorbing bad smells in general: sprinkle some on and leave it overnight, then vacuum it out? One odd thing I tried when some luggage I lent to a boyfriend one time came back smelling foul was burning incense around it in an attempt to fumigate . . . that wasn't an amazing success, but at least then it smelled like smoky incense rather than cat urine.

amarius

May 23, 2012, 2:39 PM
Post #7 of 22 (13836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some ideas:
Enzymatic Cleaners/Washers
Sink The Stink - works very well - personal experience with kayaking gear.

cragmasterp

May 23, 2012, 6:20 PM
Post #8 of 22 (13802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just hand wash it in yer tub w/ favorite laundry detergent. Then hang it up to dry.

my camelbak gets the Mank all the time from epic rides in humid SWVA jungle.

Wash it!

ninepointeight

May 23, 2012, 8:05 PM
Post #9 of 22 (13778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where do you get that stuff? I'd love to be able to wear my Defy shoes again....

jae8908

May 23, 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #10 of 22 (13745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

baking soda in mixed with water and soak overnight. Rinse and let dry. That is how I clean my rank climbing shoes. Works pretty well.

scott.nearing

May 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #11 of 22 (13729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm seconding the baking soda, also I recommend soap over detergent, like Murphy's oil soap to hand wash. One of my packs got left on the runway by FedEx and the shipping box got wet. So they put is all in a big plastic bag, sealed it up and shipped it back to me. Some months later I got back off the road and it did not smell nice at all.

I took the aluminum supports out and washed it on the gentle cycle of a good front loader. I used laundry strength baking soda and laundry soap. Soap, not detergent because detergent is too harsh.

shockabuku

May 24, 2012, 1:39 AM
Post #12 of 22 (13713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninepointeight] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ninepointeight wrote:
Where do you get that stuff? I'd love to be able to wear my Defy shoes again....

Usually I borrow the can at the gym but if you do a search for Zepynamic you can find some places that sell cans of it.

gunkiemike

May 24, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #13 of 22 (13656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some urethane coated nylon starts to really small bad once the urethane degrades. It happened to a tent I had (couldn't sleep in it any more), a stuff sack, and a rain jacket. I think there's no way to get THAT stink out, as it's integral to the fabric itself.

sungam

May 26, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #14 of 22 (13565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I say leave it. Better people stay away and give you change/wine and think you're a hobo then come close and find out what a raging asshole you are Angelic

Greggle

May 27, 2012, 7:19 AM
Post #15 of 22 (13530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Personally I say leave it. Better people stay away and give you change/wine bacon and think you're a hobo then come close and find out what a raging asshole you are Angelic

Fixed.

sungam

May 27, 2012, 9:43 AM
Post #16 of 22 (13527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Greggle] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greggle wrote:
sungam wrote:
Personally I say leave it. Better people stay away and give you change/wine bacon and think you're a hobo then come close and find out what a raging asshole you are Angelic

Fixed.
We are now taking bets on wether or not this thread ends up in scummunity.

Currently running 2:1 for and 3:1 against, with a 5:1 of it ending up in the shitcan.

styndall

May 27, 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #17 of 22 (13471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wash it really well, let it dry, then seal it up in a rubbermaid container or a garbage bag with a box of baking soda, and leave it for a week or two.

SylviaSmile

May 29, 2012, 3:09 PM
Post #18 of 22 (13390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Greggle wrote:
sungam wrote:

Fixed.

Currently running 2:1 for and 3:1 against, with a 5:1 of it ending up in the shitcan.

I think we need Kartessa to reply and say what she actually did with her pack and whether it worked in order to find out if this thread has useful climbing info.

sungam

May 29, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #19 of 22 (13368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
Greggle wrote:
sungam wrote:

Fixed.

I think we need Kartessa to reply and say what she actually did with her pack and whether it worked in order to find out if this thread has useful climbing info.
I don't really want to know...

SylviaSmile

May 29, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #20 of 22 (13363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
Greggle wrote:
sungam wrote:

Fixed.

I do! I soaked the back of my backpack full of sweat yesterday. It would be handy to know the most effective way to rid it of stinkiness, if it gets stinky.

sungam

May 29, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #21 of 22 (13357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Stinky backpack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
Greggle wrote:
sungam wrote:

Fixed.

I do! I soaked the back of my backpack full of sweat yesterday. It would be handy to know the most effective way to rid it of stinkiness, if it gets stinky.
Oh, I thought you meant what she did to make it smell bad. I figured it would prolly be some weird thing that I didn't want to know about. You know, like she put a few kilos of bacon through the blender so she could eat it though a camelback en-route but the still-hot mix melted through the bladdder and stank out her bag or something.

SylviaSmile

May 29, 2012, 6:16 PM
Post #22 of 22 (13350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
Greggle wrote:
sungam wrote:

Fixed.

Oh, I thought you meant what she did to make it smell bad. I figured it would prolly be some weird thing that I didn't want to know about. You know, like she put a few kilos of bacon through the blender so she could eat it though a camelback en-route but the still-hot mix melted through the bladdder and stank out her bag or something.

Hmm. I guess that would be good to know too. But it might need another thread, about which camelbaks can stand up to a bacon smoothie. I leave it to Kartessa's discretion whether that is needed . . . .

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook