Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Hurray, Governor Walker!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 


pinktricam


Jun 6, 2012, 6:06 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Hurray, Governor Walker!
Report this Post
Can't Post

Walker survives recall election

In reply to:
WAUKESHA — Gov. Scott Walker, the embattled Republican who became the party’s standard bearer in the fight against union influence, survived a bitter recall election Tuesday, defeating Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and cementing his status as a national conservative hero.

The results were seen by the triumphant governor and his supporters as affirmation of Walker’s leadership, which has been under attack for the past 16 months.


Walker took the stage late Tuesday for a rousing victory speech to chants of “Thank you, Scott.” He said the message was “voters really do want leaders who stand up and make the tough decisions.”

I've been watching this one closely and there wasn't a doubt in my mind it would turn out in Gov Walker's favor.
I think it's a strong indictment of the Democratic Party.

I hope the general election coming in November reflects that, as well.


chadnsc


Jun 6, 2012, 7:51 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can keep on hoping but it won't happen.


styndall


Jun 6, 2012, 9:20 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 29, 2002
Posts: 2741

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Walker survives recall election

In reply to:
WAUKESHA — Gov. Scott Walker, the embattled Republican who became the party’s standard bearer in the fight against union influence, survived a bitter recall election Tuesday, defeating Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and cementing his status as a national conservative hero.

The results were seen by the triumphant governor and his supporters as affirmation of Walker’s leadership, which has been under attack for the past 16 months.


Walker took the stage late Tuesday for a rousing victory speech to chants of “Thank you, Scott.” He said the message was “voters really do want leaders who stand up and make the tough decisions.”

I've been watching this one closely and there wasn't a doubt in my mind it would turn out in Gov Walker's favor.
I think it's a strong indictment of the Democratic Party.

I hope the general election coming in November reflects that, as well.

Well, he did raise 30 million dollars, 20 of that from out of state. Hard to imagine it going any other way.

Cheers, Wisconsin. Since he took over, you've had the worst job growth in the country. Good choice.


pinktricam


Jun 7, 2012, 7:49 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [styndall] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Walker survives recall election

In reply to:
WAUKESHA — Gov. Scott Walker, the embattled Republican who became the party’s standard bearer in the fight against union influence, survived a bitter recall election Tuesday, defeating Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and cementing his status as a national conservative hero.

The results were seen by the triumphant governor and his supporters as affirmation of Walker’s leadership, which has been under attack for the past 16 months.


Walker took the stage late Tuesday for a rousing victory speech to chants of “Thank you, Scott.” He said the message was “voters really do want leaders who stand up and make the tough decisions.”

I've been watching this one closely and there wasn't a doubt in my mind it would turn out in Gov Walker's favor.
I think it's a strong indictment of the Democratic Party.

I hope the general election coming in November reflects that, as well.

Well, he did raise 30 million dollars, 20 of that from out of state. Hard to imagine it going any other way.

Riiight...except that the voters that voted actually live in the state. There was a record turnout, BTW.

Sorry, but if there's a recall election in FL and I think the gov should be voted out, it won't matter how many gazillions of dollars back him/her, I'm gonna vote for the recall. BTW, the Lt. Governor beat her recall, too. (can you see a Romney/Kleefisch ticket....nah, neither can I. She does have a pretty mouth, though.)


styndall wrote:
Cheers, Wisconsin. Since he took over, you've had the worst job growth in the country. Good choice.

Actually, it's about on a par with the current Kenyan...errr, national administration. But, hey, "good choice!"


(This post was edited by pinktricam on Jun 7, 2012, 7:53 PM)


pinktricam


Jun 7, 2012, 7:51 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [chadnsc] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
You can keep on hoping but it won't happen.

For posterity.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Jun 10, 2012, 4:16 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1601 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Riiight...except that the voters that voted actually live in the state. There was a record turnout, BTW.

Sorry, but if there's a recall election in FL and I think the gov should be voted out, it won't matter how many gazillions of dollars back him/her, I'm gonna vote for the recall. BTW, the Lt. Governor beat her recall, too. (can you see a Romney/Kleefisch ticket....nah, neither can I. She does have a pretty mouth, though.)

In my opinion, the key swing vote in this election was the "anti-recall" sentiment. I haven't seen any detailed analysis but basing it on a similar effort here in Nebraska (http://ballotpedia.org/...aha,_Nebraska_(2011)) the deciding factor was those people who thought that a recall election was not "proper". In the Omaha situation, the democratic mayor was retained through votes by the conservative west Omaha suburbs. These were people who didn't like the mayor, but thought that the recall was a waste and therefore voted against the recall effort. I assume that some of Walker's support was that vote.

As for the implication that money makes no difference in politics, that is a very "liberal" opinion is it implies that the free market use of money is not the most efficient way to influence votes.


pinktricam


Jun 10, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The really stupid part of the entire ordeal was the Dems trying to put Barrett into office; a candidate the the voters had already voted down when he first ran. That made very little sense to me.


petsfed


Jun 11, 2012, 8:58 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1560 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
The really stupid part of the entire ordeal was the Dems trying to put Barrett into office; a candidate the the voters had already voted down when he first ran. That made very little sense to me.

I think this also explains why the recall effort failed. Basically, if people hate you enough to actually cause a recall vote, you have utterly failed at serving the people. PERIOD. So if a recall fails, it basically means that despite being a total failure, you're still better than the alternative. That's pretty damning of both sides, honestly.


Partner j_ung


Jun 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1545 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Had I lived in Wisconsin, I probably would have voted the same way, despite being against his position on pretty much everything. Hopefully, this destroyed any precedent that would have been set had the recall succeeded.

When our founding fathers wrote the Constitution, they weren't writing their political opinions. They were writing a procedure. That procedure has to be respected in every corner of the country, which is exactly what the voters in Wisconsin just did.

Now, of course, as politicians are wont to do, Walker will proclaim this a victory for conservatism, despite the fact that it isn't.


pinktricam


Jun 12, 2012, 4:03 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [j_ung] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Now, of course, as politicians are wont to do, Walker will proclaim this a victory for conservatism, despite the fact that it isn't.

From all I've read, Walker appears to be very magnanimous in victory. It's Mittens and the Rep. machine that's hyping up what it perceives as a referendum on the current president's administration.


Partner j_ung


Jun 12, 2012, 9:47 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [pinktricam] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
Now, of course, as politicians are wont to do, Walker will proclaim this a victory for conservatism, despite the fact that it isn't.

From all I've read, Walker appears to be very magnanimous in victory. It's Mittens and the Rep. machine that's hyping up what it perceives as a referendum on the current president's administration.

Yeah, the news machine seems to be doing the same. Boys will be boys... or something like that.


curt


Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [j_ung] Hurray, Governor Walker! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Arizonans seem to be smarter than their counterparts in Wisconsin.

Arizona Daily Star wrote:
Ron Barber, Former Giffords Aide, Wins In Giffords Old District

Ron Barber, the former district director for Gabby Giffords, will win the special election for his old bosses’ seat, The Associated Press projects.

For Barber, 66, victory is bittersweet. The top aide to Giffords was also injured in the grocery store shooting on January, 2011 — he was shot in the leg and the cheek.
Giffords endorsed Barber early on, and he was ultimately uncontested for his party’s nomination.

He had strong fundraising- pulling in $1.2 million according to campaign finance disclosures- and was aided by the help of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which spent over $400,000 on ads supporting his candidacy. However, his victory was far from certain.

The Arizona 8th congressional district — where Giffords had served since 2006 before resigning from Congress in January — leans Republican. The district voted for John McCain in 2008 and George W. Bush in 2004. Giffords narrowly defeated Barber’s opponent Jesse Kelly in 2010 by a margin of roughly 2 percentage points — 49 percent to Kelly’s 47 percent.

Giffords actual presence in the campaign was limited. She campaigned with Barber over the weekend leading up to the election — a somewhat late appearance given that up to two-thirds of ballots were expected to be submitted via early voting — and she was featured on a mailer circulated by the Democratic Party of Arizona. Nevertheless, the former representative’s emotional and spiritual presence should not be underestimated.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi released a statement congratulating Barber on his victory. “Congressman-elect Barber follows in the footsteps of our extraordinary colleague, Congresswoman Gabby Giffords – and he has enormous shoes to fill. Gabby left a legacy of strength, resolve, and independence in the House. We look forward to Ron Barber continuing in that same tradition, and we congratulate him on a well-deserved victory tonight” she said.

Barber will have to run again in the general election in November against an unknown Republican. However, next time he will be running in a different district — the 2nd congressional district — as a result of redistricting. The newly drawn district is considered to be more friendly to Democrats, so it is likely Barber’s seat will be safe come the fall.

Who would have thought?

Curt


Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$12.36 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook