Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
What Would You Do?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: What Would You Do?
Return the pants for a refund and wait for a discount on the next size up 10 / 59%
Do even MORE cardio in an effort to lose weight to fit into the pants 7 / 41%
Try to sell the pants and make a profit 0 / 0%
Other (please specify) 0 / 0%
17 total votes

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 4:31 AM
Post #1 of 19 (7342 views)
Shortcut

What Would You Do?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So the other month I got a pair of the Rock Guide pants pretty discounted from an online site. The only problem: they are just a little small on me. I can zip and button them fine, but the tight pants look is not something I'm ever going to want in climbing wear. I'm currently getting ready to move out west, so I'm trying to scrounge up all the extra money I can (and get rid of all unneeded junk as well), so I'm wondering whether I should try to exchange the pants back for money in some way. But they are really nice pants at the same time and if I were just a little slimmer . . .

Anyway, what do y'all recommend?

divnamite

Jun 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #2 of 19 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] What Would You Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

They are Patagonia, right? Just go to a Patagonia store for an exchange. If that doesn't work, then sell it.

Jnclk

Jun 7, 2012, 1:50 PM
Post #3 of 19 (7236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If losing some weight to fit into the pants is the choice you go with, you could try caloric restriction instead of more cardio. I'm sure there is some low hanging fruit in your diet that would be easy to eliminate to achieve a calorie deficit. Remember, you need a calorie deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound. Many people make the mistake of thinking that they need to work out more in order to lose weight. During a three mile run you burn what, 250 calories max? Often times people reward themselves after working out and at best the calories lost during exercise are offset by the 'reward'. Take a good look at your diet regardless of how healthy you think it is.

(This post was edited by Jnclk on Jun 7, 2012, 1:52 PM)

billcoe_

Jun 7, 2012, 2:04 PM
Post #4 of 19 (7226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
So the other month I got a pair of the Rock Guide pants pretty discounted from an online site. The only problem: they are just a little small on me. I can zip and button them fine, but the tight pants look is not something I'm ever going to want in climbing wear. I'm currently getting ready to move out west, so I'm trying to scrounge up all the extra money I can (and get rid of all unneeded junk as well), so I'm wondering whether I should try to exchange the pants back for money in some way. But they are really nice pants at the same time and if I were just a little slimmer . . .

If you wait just a little bit, the "muffin top" look will be back in style and you'll fit right in.

lena_chita

Jun 7, 2012, 2:34 PM
Post #5 of 19 (7202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seriously?

Coming next month: can you help me, I am not sure whether to use a fork or a spoon to eat my dinner. Should I go for chopsticks instead?

Return or sell the pants if they don't fit and you need the money. One less item to pack and move. I am sure you have other pants, you will survive until the next discounted deal comes up.

And as a general note, buying clothes for the size you wish you were never works.

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 2:55 PM
Post #6 of 19 (7183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] What Would You Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Seriously?

Coming next month: can you help me, I am not sure whether to use a fork or a spoon to eat my dinner. Should I go for chopsticks instead?

Haha, but you replied, didn't you? Laugh

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 2:58 PM
Post #7 of 19 (7182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] What Would You Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

divnamite wrote:
They are Patagonia, right? Just go to a Patagonia store for an exchange. If that doesn't work, then sell it.

Yeah, I like the idea of exchanging, but for one thing I didn't buy them from Patagonia and for another, I don't know if I could get an exchange of last season's version/color.

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 3:16 PM
Post #8 of 19 (7167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] What Would You Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

If you wait just a little bit, the "muffin top" look will be back in style and you'll fit right in.

Rude! There is no muffin top! That's what makes it a quandary: they're not hugely too tight, just a little bit.

edge

Jun 7, 2012, 3:46 PM
Post #9 of 19 (7151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

Rude! There is no muffin top! That's what makes it a quandary: they're not hugely too tight, just a little bit.

Convert them to assless chaps?

shockabuku

Jun 7, 2012, 5:50 PM
Post #10 of 19 (7062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wish I could lose some weight, hem and haw, keep the pants in the back of my closet and be plagued with indecision and inaction. Give them away to someone else three years later.

Also, you should post a picture (from the back) for us to see whether they are actually too tight or not.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Jun 7, 2012, 5:51 PM)

divnamite

Jun 7, 2012, 6:23 PM
Post #11 of 19 (7041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:

Yeah, I like the idea of exchanging, but for one thing I didn't buy them from Patagonia and for another, I don't know if I could get an exchange of last season's version/color.
No harm in asking Patagonia.

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 6:31 PM
Post #12 of 19 (7032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] What Would You Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

divnamite wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:

True. Just browsing on the Patagonia website, it doesn't look like they even make the Rock Guide pants for women anymore . . . which is kind of a game changer.

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 6:36 PM
Post #13 of 19 (7027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, nm, just chatted with a rep and he said they will be available fall 2012.

granite_grrl

Jun 7, 2012, 7:10 PM
Post #14 of 19 (7012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:

True. Just browsing on the Patagonia website, it doesn't look like they even make the Rock Guide pants for women anymore . . . which is kind of a game changer.

Didn't they just change the name to the Simple Guide pants?

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 7:23 PM
Post #15 of 19 (7002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What Would You Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:

No, I think the Simple Guide are more alpine, whereas the Rock Guide are lighter/more summery? That's why I was confused they had the Simple Guide up but not Rock Guide right now.

billcoe_

Jun 7, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #16 of 19 (6980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Damn, I meant to put a smiley face at the end of that sentence too. Wink

billcoe_ wrote:
Haha -you replied, didn't you? Laugh

Seriously, if you are going on a climbing trip, take them, I always drop inches when I'm out. Last month in Yosemite I lost 8 lbs in a week and walking down from the column my new ExOfficio tough climbing pants which were about right back home were falling off me and trying to head for my ankles like a gang banger.

granite_grrl

Jun 8, 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #17 of 19 (6891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
divnamite wrote:

No, I think the Simple Guide are more alpine, whereas the Rock Guide are lighter/more summery? That's why I was confused they had the Simple Guide up but not Rock Guide right now.

I thought they only ever had three levels of pants. I use the Alpine guide for ice climbing, but I feel they're kinda thin for that. The next step down are the Simple Guide so I just assumed they were lighter weight.

SylviaSmile

Jun 8, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #18 of 19 (6770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The will of the majority (and of my best friend) has prevailed! I sent the pants back today. With my luck, I probably will lose the inches anyway . . . but my latest strategy is to scour thrift stores for old Patagonia. I found some awesome Patagonia hemp jeans at the local Goodwill which may be my new go-to climbing pants for outside.

billcoe_

Jun 9, 2012, 4:48 AM
Post #19 of 19 (6709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to go see my son (lives in another town) while back. He was volunteering at a fundraiser and invited us to do the walk as he was working it. We raised an amazing shitload of scratch for old - poor folks, but the highlight (other than watching a whole gaggle of hot young ladies walk past 2 other unoccupied and bored workers waiting to take money give out whatever, to crowd into my sons busy line which cracked me up so much I started videoing it, then he saw me doing it and we both cracked up at each other) may have been that I walked right past a clothing store with a new looking patagonia coat on a rack marked $3.00. Turned out, the whole entire rack, with a lot of other name brand coats, was $3,00 as well. Woot. Good times.

Didn't fit me.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook