RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

nesta208

Jun 5, 2012, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 7 (11960 views)
Shortcut

Wrist Injury - Protruding Ulna
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started having slight pain in my wrist last monday (approximately a week ago) and am starting to become worried. I have made an appointment with an ortho who specializes with wrists but have had issues with receiving correct diagnosis before and felt that any input from the climbing community would be useful. Here is a rundown of the injury:

Sunday - Climbed "hard" (for me) all day, including repetitively doing a move that involved reached up to an undercling and swinging my feet up until it became positive. No hard sloper moves though and didn't notice any pain during or after climbing.

Monday - A little after noon I started noticing pain on the ulna side (pinkie side) of my wrist between the head of the ulna bone and next "bump" (pisiform?). Seems to be roughly where the ulnar collateral ligament is but I am unsure.

During the week - The pain remained but was very minor, could reproduce it by making a fist as well as rotating wrist in a circle but tried to refrain from testing it too much so not exactly sure what causes pain.

Weekend - Went sport climbing at Lander and kept the wrist taped the entire time. No pain during climbing and at night seemed to almost be better than it had been during the previous week.

Monday - Started to notice that the end of my ulna (nearest my hand) is protruding somewhat significantly. I have attached a picture I found on the internet that shows this, mine isn't as bad but same sort of thing. [ulna.JPEG]

Currently - Their is very little pain but the ulna bone protrudes like shown in the picture and things just don't feel right. I had a friend help run through the tests described here: http://www.benbenjamin.com/pdfs/05FM.pdf and none of them created any pain but we aren't doctors. Has anyone had anything similar? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated and I realize I am asking for help over the internet and will take advice with a grain of salt. Also, I will update with what doc says and any further developments.
Thanks!
Attachments: ulna.JPEG (4.38 KB)

aerili

Jun 6, 2012, 4:36 PM
Post #2 of 7 (11893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nesta208] Wrist Injury - Protruding Ulna [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Could be piano key sign-- an indication you have instability in the distal radioulnar joint.

A doc's input is absolutely essential at this point. Wrist injuries are complex.

altelis

Jun 6, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #3 of 7 (11861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Wrist Injury - Protruding Ulna [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^ +1

onceahardman

Jun 6, 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #4 of 7 (11849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Could be piano key sign-- an indication you have instability in the distal radioulnar joint.

A doc's input is absolutely essential at this point. Wrist injuries are complex.

yup.

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/tfcc_examination

nesta208

Jun 7, 2012, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 7 (11791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went and saw an orthopedic surgeon today that specializes in wrists and he wasn't concerned with the injury. The pain has more or less completely gone away and their is no real tenderness or swelling so he didn't think I seriously injured anything. No real explanation as to why the ulna is protruding but he suggested taping it while climbing and if it gets worse seeing him again. I have a history of loose joints (chronically roll ankles and dislocate fingers) so it may just be that. If I have any further developments I will update and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or a similar injury. Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply.

(This post was edited by nesta208 on Jun 7, 2012, 7:50 PM)

saleemuae

Jun 11, 2012, 7:57 AM
Post #6 of 7 (11697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best thing you could have is prevention.we have to take good care of our body.so that we could avoid that could cause this.your content are really helpful for me.

werplowsky33

Oct 12, 2012, 1:47 AM
Post #7 of 7 (11038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this. A guy showed me this from Canada. Cool wrap, works great. Cheers.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Wrist_Injury_Treatment.php?REF=Boris1011

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook