Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

petsfed

Jun 7, 2012, 5:57 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I So a friend of mine needs some short pants. Like, stops about halfway between the ankle and the knee. Unfortunately, neither REI nor mountain gear let you narrow your search by level of perceived metrosexuality so if you folks ... uh... know somebody who has a preferred brand of knickers, let me know. You know, for my friend.

Related, useful preferences: narrow ankles, zip ankles ok. Synthetic, eg. nylon or polyester. Specific for climbing a plus.

lithiummetalman

Jun 7, 2012, 7:38 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

http://www.rei.com/...roll-up-pants-womens

petsfed

Jun 7, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha! Because I'm insecure about wanting pants that are classically associated with women! And the jokes I made about in my first post clearly did not address the issue directly enough! Oh, you are a fine wit sir!

But seriously, rolling up the pant legs makes it really fucking hard to get a good jam in flared cracks, or stand on micro-edges, or really any sort of climbing, and shorts are kind of a problem on cold days, or any time I expect my knees to contact the rock.

I'm down to my last pair of REI Mistral pants that feature velcro cuffs, and I'm wondering if anybody in the last decade (which was when they stopped making the cuffed pants, apparently) has recognized that rolling up your pant legs is a poor fucking compromise.

SylviaSmile

Jun 7, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You probably want these.

bearbreeder

Jun 7, 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

prana ... i found mine on sale for $40 ... has DWR, a zippered pocket, is durable and breathable

if you arent going to go for something with DWR (for those multi days just in case) ... you might as well chop up an old pair of pants or jeans ...

redlude97

Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Verve Hondo II

saint_john

Jun 8, 2012, 6:11 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Prana Nemesis.
I've had a couple pairs over the years. They're not the most durable garment but they are great for climbing/yoga/chillaxing.

sherpa79

Jun 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you'd be better off just finding the cheapest pair of pants that meets your OTHER qualifications and cutting them off. Find the cheapest pair of synthetic pants, gusseted knees and crotch, reinforced knee, all the bells and whistles, and then just take the scissors to them.

Leave room to hem them for added longevity. If they feel too bellbottomy, cut a small narrow wedge out of the inseem and sew it back together. I had a pair of man-pris that I sewed a pocket on the inside of the knee and cut some 1/8 inch foam to fit in the pocket. Built in low-profile knee pads, the perfect chimney pants!

sycamore

Jun 8, 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Man-pris (or knickers, if you're into that sort of thing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a pair of Stonemaster knickers. I like them a lot. They're made of the burliest material I've come across that still has Lycra content. But then, I pretty much refrain from buying any climbing pants that doesn't have some degree of stretch. High stepping in Carhartts in the summer? Not for me.

Also, I have a few things from Verve, and I love them all-- especially the Xeno pant. Good luck contacting them, however.

shockabuku

Jun 9, 2012, 6:30 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On sale now:

http://www.rei.com/...s-mens-2012-closeout

http://www.rei.com/...s-mens-2011-closeout

Sizing??

corno32

Jun 14, 2012, 9:16 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:-D

but shh I can neither confirm nor deny that I know someone who wears them too :) this person likes the aforementioned pranas.

I've tried the mountain hardware's linked above by another poster, at rei, didn't like at all, too baggy, might just be me.

i had to order several sizes of the pranas at first to get the right size...

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$16.42 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$1.35 (10% off)
$165.24 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook