RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ObviousTroll

Jun 13, 2012, 8:46 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2048 views)
Shortcut

What would you do?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So you reach the top of a little pillar, say 50 feet. It's got two bolted chains, and a substantial ledge, but the ledge is above the bolts by 3 feet. How would you secure yourself to the anchor while sitting on top? Rope? Webbing? Cord? Any Devices?

Now rope would be the best bet right? But would acc. cord (or webbing :/) be unacceptable? Is static line from a fall like that more than you would risk?

I already know what I'd do, I would just like to know what I'd see from everyone els. Maybe a couple more ideas would come up.

shockabuku

Jun 13, 2012, 8:57 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ObviousTroll] What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would say:

Dynamic rope is the only safe bet and it could be better or worse depending on how you do it.

Either remain on belay and/or give yourself some slack in the rope. If the rope is just long enough to work you are at approximately FF2; slack will decrease the fall factor though extend your potential fall length.

dagibbs

Jun 13, 2012, 9:00 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Assuming this is to sit and admire the view, eat a snack, take pictures, or whatever -- I'd use (climbing, that is dynamic) rope. Anything static or static-ish is a bad bad idea.

DMM drop tests showing why: http://blip.tv/...n-drop-tests-4509845

If for purposes of belaying a second up, I'd make sure I was below the anchor -- hanging belay if neccesary.

(This post was edited by dagibbs on Jun 13, 2012, 9:03 AM)

wivanoff

Jun 13, 2012, 9:57 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually done this (except no bolted chains)

Sat on top of the pillar. Tossed a rope end off the opposite side of the pillar. Had my second anchor that rope end to a tree on the ground. Belayed him up the first side. We both rapped down the first side. Untied the bottom anchor and pulled the rope back over the pillar.

ObviousTroll

Jun 13, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
Assuming this is to sit and admire the view, eat a snack, take pictures, or whatever -- I'd use (climbing, that is dynamic) rope. Anything static or static-ish is a bad bad idea.

DMM drop tests showing why: http://blip.tv/...n-drop-tests-4509845

If for purposes of belaying a second up, I'd make sure I was below the anchor -- hanging belay if neccesary.

Those test results are absolutely astounding. I knew static equipment was dangerous to fall on, sure. But this is basically saying "wake up."

Partner cracklover

Jun 14, 2012, 8:36 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
So you reach the top of a little pillar, say 50 feet. It's got two bolted chains, and a substantial ledge, but the ledge is above the bolts by 3 feet. How would you secure yourself to the anchor while sitting on top? Rope? Webbing? Cord? Any Devices?

Now rope would be the best bet right? But would acc. cord (or webbing :/) be unacceptable? Is static line from a fall like that more than you would risk?

I already know what I'd do, I would just like to know what I'd see from everyone els. Maybe a couple more ideas would come up.

Clip a draw into each bolt, clip my rope into the draws, say "Take" and "lower".

That one was easy.

GO

ObviousTroll

Jun 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno if you mean you just wouldn't risk it, or if you missunderstood what I meant. Hopefully you weren't just trying to troll me. As that is now my job here on this forum. Unimpressed

majid_sabet

Jun 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:

with your low climbing mileage, you may want to look in to purcell prusic setup as your ultimate hookup in to any anchor

jt512

Jun 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
So you reach the top of a little pillar, say 50 feet. It's got two bolted chains, and a substantial ledge, but the ledge is above the bolts by 3 feet. How would you secure yourself to the anchor while sitting on top?

I wouldn't. It's a sport route. I'd lower.

Partner cracklover

Jun 14, 2012, 2:06 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:
So you reach the top of a little pillar, say 50 feet. It's got two bolted chains, and a substantial ledge, but the ledge is above the bolts by 3 feet. How would you secure yourself to the anchor while sitting on top?

Hey Jay, you've got GU on yer face.

GSly

Partner cracklover

Jun 14, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
I dunno if you mean you just wouldn't risk it, or if you missunderstood what I meant. Hopefully you weren't just trying to troll me. As that is now my job here on this forum. Unimpressed

Neither. I didn't misunderstand you, and I don't see any risk involved. Like Jay agreed with me - it's a sport route. Take and lower.

GO

jt512

Jun 14, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:

Hey Jay, you've got GU on yer face.

GSly

I was reinforcing your message. ;)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook