RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

surfergirl

Jun 15, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6676 views)
Shortcut

water retention at high altitude?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I live at sea level and normally on weekends i only go to around 8000 ft. Last weekend, i went to 13000 ft. I drank a lot of water and did not pee. This has continued in the last few days since i got home. Does altitude cause this problem for anyone else? Could also be because i ate too much salt/carbs, but i've never had it this bad. My face and ankles are really puffy from water retention.

majid_sabet

Jun 15, 2012, 5:55 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] water retention at high altitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I live at sea level and normally on weekends i only go to around 8000 ft. Last weekend, i went to 13000 ft. I drank a lot of water and did not pee. This has continued in the last few days since i got home. Does altitude cause this problem for anyone else? Could also be because i ate too much salt/carbs, but i've never had it this bad. My face and ankles are really puffy from water retention.

how fast did you reach 13000 from 8000?

surfergirl

Jun 15, 2012, 6:13 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] water retention at high altitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not fast. Drove from sea level to 7500 ft on Friday, camped there. Climbed to 12000' on saturday, returned to camp. Then climbed to 13000' on Sunday, then drove home.

altelis

Jun 15, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:

Just to clarify- are you saying that you haven't peed since last week? Are you still really puffy?

If the answer is yes, you should very very quickly present to the emergency room. If you still aren't peeing and are really puffy this indicates there is a severe problem with your kidneys. There are multiple different ways altitude can cause kidney damage. I can't imagine it was because you ate too much salt/carbs.

Hope you are actually peeing and not as puffy now! Do keep us updated.

majid_sabet

Jun 15, 2012, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
Not fast. Drove from sea level to 7500 ft on Friday, camped there. Climbed to 12000' on saturday, returned to camp. Then climbed to 13000' on Sunday, then drove home.

you climbed too fast from sea level so buy a pulse ox off ebay for $24 and monitor your o2 level and you will see how the fast climb effects the o2 level in your blood. At sea level the o2 is about 92+% on most people but then as you go higher, the o2 level drops and once you go below 85% you start having all sorts of issues so most high alt climber suggest climbing very slow above 8000 ft. The sherpas suggest climb to 8000 and no more than 1000 feet per day and rest on third day. This a typical rule of high alt climbing but again, for weekend climbing, everyone ignores this and rush to claim their first 14000 peak.

surfergirl

Jun 15, 2012, 7:46 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] water retention at high altitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have peed! just not nearly the amount that i have drank. to give you an idea...you won't believe this...but i have gained about 20 pounds since last friday. granted, i have eaten REALLY, REALLY badly (beginning with a chinese buffet on Sunday night) and under normal circumstances i could expect to gain 5-10 pounds of water weight from the crap i've been eating. but not 20.

surfergirl

Jun 15, 2012, 7:48 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? Maybe i should go to the doctor and make sure everything is ok. This is only the second time i've ever been at such high altitude. (the other time was mt. kilimanjaro and that involved a very gradual ascent)

SylviaSmile

Jun 15, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
Really? Maybe i should go to the doctor and make sure everything is ok. This is only the second time i've ever been at such high altitude. (the other time was mt. kilimanjaro and that involved a very gradual ascent)

It might not be a bad idea. You might try a couple days of taking baths with a couple cups of apple cider vinegar and see if the water retention diminishes naturally, and then if not go see an MD.

altelis

Jun 15, 2012, 7:55 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Well, glad to hear that you've peed. Sad to hear that you've gained 20 pounds. Like you admitted, gaining 5 pounds may be expected from salty diets; 10 pounds seems really excessive. 20 pounds, especially if its effecting the face and legs specifically, is excessive. A definite sign that your kidneys took a hit from your weekend.

Like I said before, there are many different things that may have caused your kidneys to become injured. I would highly suggest you see a doctor on Monday, or if an urgent care office is still open where you are, you might consider that today. Depending on how much you're drinking vs peeing, how bad the edema (puffy face/swollen legs) is, and what a doc sees on your urinalysis (e.g. excess protein vs blood), there are different options for treatment. Some just take time, but others are responsive to different medications.

The fact that you have peed, again is a good sign. I would definitely suggest if you start peeing dramatically less or stop making urine all together to go to the ER. You don't want to mess around with your kidneys, they're pretty important little dudes!

majid_sabet

Jun 15, 2012, 9:10 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
I have peed! just not nearly the amount that i have drank. to give you an idea...you won't believe this...but i have gained about 20 pounds since last friday. granted, i have eaten REALLY, REALLY badly (beginning with a chinese buffet on Sunday night) and under normal circumstances i could expect to gain 5-10 pounds of water weight from the crap i've been eating. but not 20.

drink some black tea for a day and see if you pee. Black pee does make you tea more often.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 16, 2012, 1:44 AM)

moose_droppings

Jun 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

drink some black tea for a day and see if you pee. Black tea does make you tea more often.

I'm sure you meant pee.

As a side note, if a Sioux Indian drank 30 cups of black tea at night just before bedtime, where might he sleep?

They could end up sleeping in their tea pee.

SylviaSmile

Jun 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] water retention at high altitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

drink some black tea for a day and see if you pee. Black tea does make you tea more often.

I'm sure you meant pee.

As a side note, if a Sioux Indian drank 30 cups of black tea at night just before bedtime, where might he sleep?

They could end up sleeping in their tea pee.

Laugh

surfergirl

Jun 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #13 of 13 (6531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a diuretic pill this morning and still didn't pee! That's when i became a bit alarmed.

I went to the doctor this afternoon and he prescribed a diuretic. My blood pressure and stuff were fine, so at least i'm not dying, just feeling extremely fat that's all.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook