RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

swiminsteve

Jun 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #1 of 13 (9826 views)
Shortcut

Cape Cod
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I know its one big glacial deposit but seems mostly sand/gravel. Fingers crossed there is an erratic, maybe two out there.

Young guy, bouldering for 2/3 years on and off. Took a full gig out on the Cape.

Anyone know of rock out there? Or somewhere close by? I know Lincoln Woods is prime but not close enough for regular after work seshs.

I think I am spoiled... Great Barrington is 30 minutes from my door and this whole area is littered with rock.

Gmburns2000

Jun 21, 2012, 1:37 AM
Post #2 of 13 (9815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swiminsteve] Cape Cod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swiminsteve wrote:
So I know its one big glacial deposit but seems mostly sand/gravel. Fingers crossed there is an erratic, maybe two out there.

Young guy, bouldering for 2/3 years on and off. Took a full gig out on the Cape.

Anyone know of rock out there? Or somewhere close by? I know Lincoln Woods is prime but not close enough for regular after work seshs.

I think I am spoiled... Great Barrington is 30 minutes from my door and this whole area is littered with rock.

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the answer is no.

good luck though.

if you can't get out that much then use the lemons to make lemonade and surf. just watch out for the great whites once august rolls around.

swiminsteve

Jun 21, 2012, 1:55 AM
Post #3 of 13 (9807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Cape Cod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha yes I've been told many times to pick up surfing. The mountain biking is slim and there are no mountains. But as you said, do the rec I can!

Surf, kayak and if the money rolls in maybe a kite board!
In reply to:

gblauer

Jun 21, 2012, 2:41 AM
Post #4 of 13 (9798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you search Cape Cod on RC.com, you will see at least two of my threads. They all conclude with the same answer: There is no climbing on Cape Cod. There is a tiny rock gym that's not worth going to. There is also Carabiner's in New Bedford. It's huge, great, fun etc, but it's more than an hour away, depending where you are on Cape Cod. I go up every year for a week and I just bike, do pullups etc in lieu of climbing. Sorry :(

swiminsteve

Jun 21, 2012, 2:55 AM
Post #5 of 13 (9794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Cape Cod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a man can pray can't here? I won't be far out on the Cape and read up on Carabiners so that will happen in the winter I am sure. Plus Lincoln Woods if I can.

Gmburns2000

Jun 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #6 of 13 (9768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swiminsteve wrote:
a man can pray can't here? I won't be far out on the Cape and read up on Carabiners so that will happen in the winter I am sure. Plus Lincoln Woods if I can.

Carabiners is the best gym option, but don't get your hopes up. Most climbers from the area think the gym blows. Crappy route setting, overly stupid authoritarian rules, stupid general rules, etc., but, that may be different for bouldering, to be honest. The cave looks pretty decent and the kind of dumb rules they have for the roped routes obviously wouldn't apply to the cave, but one never knows with these guys. (I'm not trying to completely steer you away from that gym, but even some of the employees there are embarrassed by the way things are run).

Honestly, I'd try to find a way to get out from the Cape more. In the winter, the trip to MetroRock in Boston is worth it, and there are good bouldering places in New England, you just have to commit to getting out to them.

gblauer

Jun 21, 2012, 1:38 PM
Post #7 of 13 (9764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greg, how do you really feel?

I thought Carabiners was fun for a day trip. They have a lot of terrain. I do agree that their rules are draconian. No loose chalk, they have to measure your rope, no ATC's etc.

I did have an interesting experience...I took the lead test and they insisted that I fall at a particular bolt. I questioned the tester's judgement, he pushed back so I climbed and dropped. I know that it would be a hard landing (position of bolt on wall, relative to wall features). I hit the wall hard, with my face. Not good!

olderic

Jun 21, 2012, 2:06 PM
Post #8 of 13 (9750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Carabiners "blows" (I would have used something stronger - no doubt about it. The llittle gym in Eastham is almost as good. I like Metrorock but Rockspot would be slightly quicker to get to. There are some "real" (well some man made) rock opportunities. Biggest is probably Doane Rock (Cape Cod National Seashore in Eastham). There are other glacial erratics around - explore. Scargo tower in Dennis. Cliff Pond (Nickerson State Park in Brewster), Old railroad retaining walls in Harwich. The "Cape" is not that tiny - over an hour's drive from Falmouth to P-town. I have been a climber for almost 50 years - but I have been going to the Cape for > 60.

Gmburns2000

Jun 21, 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #9 of 13 (9727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Cape Cod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Greg, how do you really feel?

I thought Carabiners was fun for a day trip. They have a lot of terrain. I do agree that their rules are draconian. No loose chalk, they have to measure your rope, no ATC's etc.

I did have an interesting experience...I took the lead test and they insisted that I fall at a particular bolt. I questioned the tester's judgement, he pushed back so I climbed and dropped. I know that it would be a hard landing (position of bolt on wall, relative to wall features). I hit the wall hard, with my face. Not good!

I saw something worse at a comp by one of their belayors who supposedly knew what he was doing. Poor kid damn near got her head lopped off by the roof. I'm sure Eric remembers that, too.

swiminsteve

Jun 22, 2012, 2:57 AM
Post #10 of 13 (9696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great, the one gym close by is shitty. Well Boston would probably be fun anyways. I plan on hitting Lincoln Woods when I can. I guess it is time to pick up surfing.

Partner cracklover

Jun 22, 2012, 3:40 PM
Post #11 of 13 (9652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

swiminsteve wrote:
Great, the one gym close by is shitty. Well Boston would probably be fun anyways. I plan on hitting Lincoln Woods when I can. I guess it is time to pick up surfing.

It's complicated. It's really shitty, but still awesome. If it was the closest gym to me, and I lived on the cape, I'd probably go regularly.

You can find my review here.

GO

jakedatc

Jun 22, 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #12 of 13 (9627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Cape Cod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The bouldering at Carabiners is about the only thing decent about the place. stay off the ropes and it's not that bad.

Lincoln woods and Rock spot Lincoln (RI rock gym) bit further if you don't like it at Biners or to mix it up.

swiminsteve

Jun 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #13 of 13 (9529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Cape Cod [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well glad to hear the bouldering is okay; though I really want to get into roped stuff.

And I'm not big on shitty people so I'll see how I do with the staff.

I know Lincoln is the closest good place but are there any other places in SE Mass to boulder?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook