RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

NovaScotia

Apr 25, 2012, 2:03 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3512 views)
Shortcut

Climbing around Chicago?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Just moved here from California by way of Canada, the flatness here is a shock to the system. Is there any places to get out and climb around the city or is it just gym climbing?

I've a pretty flexible schedule and am always up for getting out and pulling down. As far as partners; any ability level is great. I have certifications in rock instruction and guiding so for a novice its a chance to get some free tips. I climb up to 5.11's but its been a year since on the rock, so a soft start would be good.

Cheers,
Sean

Alek_s

Jun 28, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NovaScotia] Climbing around Chicago? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Unfortunately, within the city limits, it’s primarily indoor/gym climbing. For outdoor climbing, most people drive to Wisconsin to climb at Devils Lake park, which is a couple of hours drive. Another popular spot is Red River Gorge in Kentucky, which I haven’t done myself but hear good things. People will often leave for a whole weekend, for example Friday evening through Sunday, and camp in the parks to get a few days of climbing in.

In the winter, if it gets cold enough, which last year it didn’t, they also allow ice climbing at Starved Rock, which is in Illinois. There is also ice climbing around Wisconsin.

Alek_s

Jul 1, 2012, 3:53 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I forgot to mention. There is also rock climbing in Southern Illinois at Jackson Falls.

More Info:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...s__Climbing_Routes_/

Burcaw

Jul 2, 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Outdoor climbing is pretty limited around Chicago. Devil's Lake isn't that far of a drive if you want to spend a weekend camping and climbing outdoors.

I would also highly recommend checking out Vertical Endeavors in Warrenville, IL. It's not a far drive from the city, and they have an excellent indoor facility. I'm from the NW suburbs, myself and a few of my friends who live in the city go there 1-2 times per week. It is well worth the drive.

nariho

Aug 2, 2012, 2:32 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I would also recommend finding climbing groups through your local climbing gym or through networks like meetup.com. There is also some good climbing in Indiana too, or if you want to drive out to MN they have better climbing communities out there.

alextaylor116

Sep 13, 2012, 6:44 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'd love to go climbing at devils lake with you some time. Shoot me an email if your interested alex.taylor116@gmail.com

Depending on the rating I lead 5.9 to 5.10a I've been climbing for a little over a year.

oldguy53

Sep 13, 2012, 7:57 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3134 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by oldguy53 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Private Reply |

KaoticKole

Sep 18, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldguy53] Climbing around Chicago? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Palisades mississippi is a great place to climb, lots of trad and top rope out there, not to far from chicago, still a few hours. If you like sport then you could go to pictured rocks, this one im not sure about how far it is away but i think on this site there is a info page on it. I go to the Palisades every weekend. Pictured rocks a few times a month is what i shoot for, but not to many of my buddies like sport, they are all pussies

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook