Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Body found at Seneca Rocks?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner climboard

Jun 25, 2012, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 9 (9374 views)
Shortcut

Body found at Seneca Rocks?  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Apparently a body was found at Seneca Rocks in a location that required technical gear to access. Does anybody have more information about this?

http://www.wboy.com/...-in-pendleton-county

minibiter

Jun 25, 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #2 of 9 (9299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climboard] Body found at Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They only said the crew members used technical gear to get there, not that it was required to get there.

Though I could understand using gear to lower a body in a basket from most of the places we scramble to. Carrying it down would be dangerous and difficult.

Other than snarky comments I have nothing to say - this is the first I've heard of the incident.

notapplicable

Jun 26, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #3 of 9 (9205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [minibiter] Body found at Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably a soloist or maybe a hiker who decided to go scrambling.

RIP either way.

ecade

Jun 27, 2012, 4:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (9022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Body found at Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Probably a soloist or maybe a hiker who decided to go scrambling.

I have no information regarding this incident... I was at Seneca Rocks 3 weeks ago for the first time. The approach ain't no walk in the park its exhausting! The climbing is quite exposed. Its great climbing, but I found the grades to be stiffer than other places.

But the point,

I saw 3 free soloist in 1 day. it seemed quite a common thing for people to free solo multi pitchs carrying a rope to rap down when they reached rap anchors. Which is damn ballsy as Seneca Rocks doesnt have bolted belays or rap anchors at every belay. Most belays are gear anchors There are relatively few rap stations IMHO.

I was very impressed by the guides who double as the rescuers, they're some great folk and the humanity could use more people kind and comitted like them.

RIP person who passed... So it Goes So it Goes...

csproul

Jun 27, 2012, 6:31 PM
Post #5 of 9 (8975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] Body found at Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sencea is one of the last places I would do any soloing. There is a good amount of loose rock, and always seems to be somewhat crowded with a good number of beginners that are kicking rocks off or dropping gear. Not my idea of a good soloing local.

notapplicable

Jun 27, 2012, 6:57 PM
Post #6 of 9 (8960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] Body found at Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
I saw 3 free soloist in 1 day. it seemed quite a common thing for people to free solo multi pitchs carrying a rope to rap down when they reached rap anchors.

I've been climbing at Seneca for 8 years and have never seen this. People will often scramble low level 5th class routes to get to their intended climb, especially on the east face, which is likely what was going on.

One of the reasons Seneca is such a fun place to solo, is because you never have to stop moving. There are so many moderate downclimbs that carrying a rope is not only unnecessary but actually causes more logistical problems than it solves.

ecade

Jun 27, 2012, 7:30 PM
Post #7 of 9 (8936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Body found at Seneca Rocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
People will often scramble low level 5th class routes to get to their intended climb, especially on the east face, which is likely what was going on

It was on the east face.
You likely know better, since you have more experience... 8 years is a day or two more than 1 day :)

But damn those folks got some serious Cajones, I was plugging pro at every oppoortunity I could while leading Conns West, while a guy above me was free soloing the route! That was my first exposed full trad multi-pitch where I lead, and I working hard to keep my nerves.

Partner climboard

Jun 29, 2012, 1:25 AM
Post #8 of 9 (8850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It appears to be a suicide, my condolences to those who knew him-

http://theintelligencer.net/...s-May-be-Loc---.html

spot6878

Oct 12, 2012, 3:38 PM
Post #9 of 9 (7983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The missing person was a mentally handicapped man who has been missing for several weeks. The vehicle he had taken was found in the parking lot but there was no sign of him. About a week later the body was found in the talus well below the lower slabs. Whether it was an accident or a suicide was unclear at the time. He was not a climber or a soloist.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook