First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 4, 2012, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 43 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Higgs found?
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like the God Particle Higgs bosan may have been found at LHC... We shall have to wait and see what the data shows.

I, for one, am suprised... If this is the case, it will change almost everything, and will even have social and theological impacts... Well, for those who care to better understand reality, that is.

veganclimber

Jul 4, 2012, 8:26 PM
Post #2 of 43 (3165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's an important scientific discovery, for sure, but I can't imagine how this could have any social or theological implications. I'm pretty sure that the only reason this is receiving any attention outside of the scientific community is because we spent billions looking for it.

pinktricam

Jul 4, 2012, 9:32 PM
Post #3 of 43 (3162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
It's an important scientific discovery, for sure, but I can't imagine how this could have any social or theological implications.

Because the "scientific community" is slowly catching up with God.

veganclimber

Jul 4, 2012, 9:41 PM
Post #4 of 43 (3158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
It's an important scientific discovery, for sure, but I can't imagine how this could have any social or theological implications.

Can you point out the passage of the bible that discusses the Higgs boson?

pinktricam

Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #5 of 43 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created...

styndall

Jul 5, 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #6 of 43 (3139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

We are even now beginning construction on our higgs boson cannon, with which we'll shoot god right out of the sky.

Seriously, what do you mean by this statement?

chadnsc

Jul 5, 2012, 6:20 AM
Post #7 of 43 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created...

Pinkie do you even know know what the Higgs particle is?

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 5, 2012, 8:51 AM
Post #8 of 43 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Genesis Reality 1:1 In the beginning God the Higgs boson created...

Fixed that for you, pink. Wink

In fact, we may have to rethink even our idea of 'beginning' in that sense.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jul 5, 2012, 8:52 AM)

scrapedape

Jul 5, 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #9 of 43 (3100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
It looks like the God Particle Higgs bosan may have been found at LHC... We shall have to wait and see what the data shows.

I, for one, am suprised... If this is the case, it will change almost everything, and will even have social and theological impacts... Well, for those who care to better understand reality, that is.

Ok, serious question: why should I care? How is this going to improve my life? Whose life, if any, is it going to improve?

chadnsc

Jul 5, 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #10 of 43 (3097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Ok, serious question: why should I care? How is this going to improve my life? Whose life, if any, is it going to improve?

Well as soon as I started praying to the Higgs Particle I got a better job, my acne cleared up, and my dog came home.

iknowfear

Jul 5, 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #11 of 43 (3091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Had you asked contemporaries of Einstein what good the realtivity theory is for, few could have answerd (amongst others) GPS.

It advances knowledge. Maybe it will bring us an anti-gravity device. or force-fields. or warp drives. or nothing at all, because in 100 years someone will find conclusive evidence that the higgs cannot exist due to $anomaly and what was observed was something completly different.

scrapedape

Jul 5, 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #12 of 43 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Related:

In reply to:
The scientists presenting the data knew that they had to put their best foot forward and convince the community that they had done what so many wanted to accomplish.

What do YOU do when the pressure is on? That's right, break out motherfuckin Comic Sans!

http://scientopia.org/...es-need-some-whimsy/

LostinMaine

Jul 5, 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #13 of 43 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my favorite explanations of the H-B:
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php?f=1489

pinktricam

Jul 5, 2012, 6:24 PM
Post #14 of 43 (3059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

When you start thinking outside the "box" of this four dimensional existence we occupy, that will be the beginning of your journey on the trail wisdom...carry on.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 5, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #15 of 43 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

When you start thinking outside the "box" of this four dimensional existence we occupy, that will be the beginning of your journey on the trail wisdom...carry on.

Interesting... Please, do tell what is outsidethe box of this 4 dimensional existence (aka the universe) we occupy.

Please, be specific. And, if you can, please do tell what leads you to think/believe it.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 5, 2012, 7:12 PM
Post #16 of 43 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

ikf said it well in his reply... I doubt that Fibonacci thought or rockclimbing cams when he was putting pencil to paper.

Or, what practical use does the Hubble Telescope have for improving your life? Or, the COBE or WMAP satelites that gave us the details of the CMB.

I personally benifit from them, as I am personally interested in understanding the 'what' and 'how' of things.

Generally though... Science theorizes, tests, discovers and confirms... Engineers and technicians make use of what deeper understanding of reality that science provides. Most scientists aren't the Thomas Edison type (i.e., scientist AND inventor)

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jul 5, 2012, 7:15 PM)

curt

Jul 5, 2012, 7:19 PM
Post #17 of 43 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

LSD is great.

Curt

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 5, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #18 of 43 (3046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Related:

In reply to:
The scientists presenting the data knew that they had to put their best foot forward and convince the community that they had done what so many wanted to accomplish.

What do YOU do when the pressure is on? That's right, break out motherfuckin Comic Sans!

http://scientopia.org/...es-need-some-whimsy/

Ha! That's been my font on my company / professional email for years. Smile

And it includes this as my reply/forward sig (*):

* I remember Jay noticed the reference some time ago.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jul 5, 2012, 7:29 PM)
Attachments: sig.jpg (62.9 KB)

pinktricam

Jul 5, 2012, 7:25 PM
Post #19 of 43 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

Interesting... Please, do tell what is outsidethe box of this 4 dimensional existence (aka the universe) we occupy.

Please, be specific. And, if you can, please do tell what leads you to think/believe it.

God; experiencing God.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 5, 2012, 7:36 PM
Post #20 of 43 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

God; experiencing God.

I have tried to validate your results using your methods, and many other methods (remember, I was once a born again RNJ myself), and it didn't work in a sustainable way... In fact, the more I tried, the more absurd it became.. Not just me, but even others of different and even similar beliefs have failed to yield identical results with the same methods.

Thus, your conclusion is flawed, at best.

In fact, even your methods are flawed, given that you and most will openly state that their results and methods are deeply personal and subjective to you, so that isn't even reasonable.

Like phlogiston... I had to accept that it just wasn;t connected to reality in any way.

Or, perhaps you can give me more to work with and be a bit more specific, rather than so nebulous? You really are giving me the same thing a schizo would for why he killed and ate children... "God; I experienced God." Do you realy think he is any less confident in his beliefs that you?

OK... I digress... Back to the Higgs... Something that may actually be reality, and even confirmed.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jul 5, 2012, 7:45 PM)

pinktricam

Jul 5, 2012, 7:36 PM
Post #21 of 43 (3034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Higgs found? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

LSD is great.

Curt

Apparently, it couldn't hurt.

pinktricam

Jul 5, 2012, 7:47 PM
Post #22 of 43 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

God; experiencing God.

I have tried to validate your results using your methods, and many other methods (remember, I was once a born again RNJ myself), and it didn't work in a sustainable way... In fact, the more I tried, the more absurd it became.. Not just me, but even others of different and even similar beliefs have failed to yield identical results with the same methods.

In fact, even your methods are flawed, given that you and most will openly state that their results and methods are deeply personal and subjective to you, so that isn't even reasonable.

Like phlogiston... I had to accept that it just wasn;t connected to reality in any way.

Or, perhaps you can give me more to work with and be a bit more specific, rather than so nebulous? You really are giving me the same thing a schizo would for why he killed and ate children... "God; I experienced God." Do you realy think he is any less confident in his beliefs that you?

No offense, but it's apparent you've either never really met Him, or if you did, you didn't actually want to know Him.

(This post was edited by pinktricam on Jul 5, 2012, 7:48 PM)

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 5, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #23 of 43 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

God; experiencing God.

No offense, but it's apparent you've either never really met Him, or if you did, you didn't actually want to know him.

You forgot to capitalize the last 'h', Eric. You should show more respect... Hell, even I go through the formality of capitalizing the pronouns when I refer to Her. Angelic

Edit... Ah, you caught it AFTER you hit the button.

No worries... I NEVER get it right the first time... My sopelling sux. Tongue

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jul 5, 2012, 7:52 PM)

pinktricam

Jul 5, 2012, 7:55 PM
Post #24 of 43 (3011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
No worries... I NEVER get it right the first time... Tongue

So I've noticed.

curt

Jul 5, 2012, 9:07 PM
Post #25 of 43 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
No offense, but it's apparent you've either never really met Him, or if you did, you didn't actually want to know Him.

If an individual has an imaginary friend who talks to him, it's a form of insanity. When millions do, it's a religion.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook