RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

vstargame

Sep 14, 2011, 5:13 PM
Post #1 of 7 (15875 views)
Shortcut

dyna-flex gyro ball and Hand Grips
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently purchased a Dyna-Flex gyro ball and a hand grip. Does the gyro ball make your hands/forearm stronger or it just helps with tendinitis like sort of a therapeutic thing to do. Also should you use the gyro ball every day? Also when it comes to hand grips are they worth it to use?

johnwesely

Sep 14, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #2 of 7 (15850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vstargame] dyna-flex gyro ball and Hand Grips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vstargame wrote:
I recently purchased a Dyna-Flex gyro ball and a hand grip. Does the gyro ball make your hands/forearm stronger or it just helps with tendinitis like sort of a therapeutic thing to do. Also should you use the gyro ball every day? Also when it comes to hand grips are they worth it to use?

No.

ryanpfleger

Sep 21, 2011, 2:22 PM
Post #3 of 7 (15657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] dyna-flex gyro ball and Hand Grips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have spent a fair amount of time using they Dyna Flex ball. A friend bought it for me 'cuz I was suffering from major elbow tendinitis. Honestly it didn't help the tendinitis, and doesn't really improve climbing strength much either. It probably helps a little, and it certainly doesn't hurt, and its kinda fun, but realistically, you're better off doing something else. Honestly for me the key with tendinitis was to lay off the training not increase it in anyway. Make sure you don't have any major strength imbalances (weight training helps here) and then when it hurts, even a little, stop climbing. Especially lay off the campus boards, quit your 4 days a week gym sessions etc. Give your tendons a chance to heal and then start climbing again outside on stuff that doesn't hurt them. It is pretty easy to build muscle that can generate more force than your tendons can handle. Tendons strengthen and repair at a much slower rate than muscle, so give them some time to heal and get stronger before you hit the training hard again.

Rma1029

Jun 28, 2012, 5:00 PM
Post #4 of 7 (14085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you did purchase a gyroball from Dynaflex or where ever, and have tried actually using it on multiple occasions (for more than 5 seconds at a time) you have probably already noticed the burn in your forearms and your hands. I enjoy climbing and practice jiu jitsu, and have found the gyro does aid in my grip strength. Most people are unwilling to admit it has any strength or athletic purpose for that matter because it is something new and different and believe it or not a lot of peple don't like the idea of getting any kind of benefit from something that is not blood sweat and tears. If you take a moment to review the dynamics of the Dynaflex gyro ball you'll find that it is extremely useful for building hand strength, increasing blood flow, and other things. Especially for the amount of energy your using on the gyro ball. My neighbor actually purchased 10 of the Powerball gyros from Dynaflex because he thinks it is such a great product and gave me one. Since then I have purchased one of the advanced Steel gyros from the same company and it does up to 60 lbs. of torque!

shockabuku

Jun 28, 2012, 5:31 PM
Post #5 of 7 (14078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rma1029] dyna-flex gyro ball and Hand Grips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rma1029 wrote:
If you did purchase a gyroball from Dynaflex or where ever, and have tried actually using it on multiple occasions (for more than 5 seconds at a time) you have probably already noticed the burn in your forearms and your hands. I enjoy climbing and practice jiu jitsu, and have found the gyro does aid in my grip strength. Most people are unwilling to admit it has any strength or athletic purpose for that matter because it is something new and different and believe it or not a lot of peple don't like the idea of getting any kind of benefit from something that is not blood sweat and tears. If you take a moment to review the dynamics of the Dynaflex gyro ball you'll find that it is extremely useful for building hand strength, increasing blood flow, and other things. Especially for the amount of energy your using on the gyro ball. My neighbor actually purchased 10 of the Powerball gyros from Dynaflex because he thinks it is such a great product and gave me one. Since then I have purchased one of the advanced Steel gyros from the same company and it does up to 60 lbs. of torque!

I have two; both gifts. I used them for a while but, unless you have lots of excess time or do something productive with only one hand for 30 minutes or more at a time, the ball is not a useful addition to your climbing endeavors. Go climbing. Same for tendonitis - go climbing. Keep the intensity low but use them. Sitting around doing nothing makes it feel better but when you go back you're likely to find it reocurring. Working through it at moderate intensity (and it'll take 6 weeks or more) has been my most effective therapy, and way more fun than watching TV.

noahfor

Jun 28, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 7 (14063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I imagine the dynaflex gyroball was invented by some "professional inventer" who just knew he could make money off of it somehow. "A toy? No. A sex toy? No. Hey. Wait a second. My arm is kinda tired, I bet I could market it as a forearm training tool."

And thus it was born.

Strength training is based on high intensity, progressive overload, and specificity. That's why it's no good.

dindolino32

Jul 6, 2012, 9:02 PM
Post #7 of 7 (13880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This subject has been covered multiple times. I have my answer on a previous post

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook