RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

jpound

Jul 14, 2012, 5:11 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ontario's Jordans Harbor climbing at the old rail pillars is no access now. Was there last week and had the CN Rail guys call the police on us for trespassing. The only access is by walking down the tracks or crossing people's yards... both of which is a no-no. The cop gave us full warnings and advised next time we returned it would be $1200.00 in fines.... too bad, only got 1 climb in and it was not bad...

Kartessa

Jul 14, 2012, 8:32 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jpound] Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jpound wrote:
Ontario's Jordans Harbor climbing at the old rail pillars is no access now. Was there last week and had the CN Rail guys call the police on us for trespassing. The only access is by walking down the tracks or crossing people's yards... both of which is a no-no. The cop gave us full warnings and advised next time we returned it would be $1200.00 in fines.... too bad, only got 1 climb in and it was not bad...

So fill us in on the rest of the story? Did you actually talk to the rail staff or did you just get cops? Did you say anything to them that may have been perceived as "rude"? Were you parked on the tracks? Very close to the tracks? Were you being loud? Boom boxes? Big group?

Something seems off in this story, like you're leaving something out. Obviously you didn't care enough to pay attention and think that this may be private property (which it is), you just figure it's outdoors and bolted so it must be yours to enjoy.

The bridge has always been "closed" but most people who go there without any issues keep a low profile. Occasionally the rail staff may ask you to leave, and when that happens, you pack up and go. Don't wait for the cops.

jpound

Jul 14, 2012, 9:36 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry for offending you??

not that I owe you an explanation but here goes:

Once upon a time....we parked on a side street; CN guy who was on one of the pickups on tracks pulled over and started screaming at us (one of those skip the pleasentries and straight to pissed off kinda people), he advised us that he would be calling the cops if we were not out in 15 minutes. He had obviously had problems with other people cause we in no way were disruptive or rude. no music; we immediately packed up and started walking back. When we got back to our vehicles we were met by a police officer who was much more personable who gave us the low-down (he didn't wait 15 minutes before calling the PD)... sorry forgot to mention there were only 5 of us.

we didnt cause any problems and didn't wait for cops.

I am sorry for obviously offending you and hope never to offend you in the future.

jpound

Jul 14, 2012, 9:38 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on another note... nowhere did we see anything that said anything about access or any other possible issues.... there are bolted routes which people have previously climbed.... therefore looked like a place to go.

Kartessa

Jul 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jpound wrote:
on another note... nowhere did we see anything that said anything about access or any other possible issues.... there are bolted routes which people have previously climbed.... therefore looked like a place to go.

Living in Ontario means there are a lot of bolts on private property. Get used to it and start learning the status of where you want to go.

granite_grrl

Jul 17, 2012, 5:59 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only 5 of you huh?

I've never seen workers out there when I've been out there, but I showed up and they were around I would turn around an find another place to hang out.

Like Kartessa said, it's on private propety. Yes, lots of people hang out down there, far more kids and dog walkers than climbers, but that doesn't change the situation.

Also, there are what, three homes on that last little strech of road before the tracks? They don't seem to like people parking in front of their places. It's not hard to find parking a little further away that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Kartessa

Jul 17, 2012, 6:18 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Only 5 of you huh?

I've never seen workers out there when I've been out there, but I showed up and they were around I would turn around an find another place to hang out.

Like Kartessa said, it's on private propety. Yes, lots of people hang out down there, far more kids and dog walkers than climbers, but that doesn't change the situation.

Also, there are what, three homes on that last little strech of road before the tracks? They don't seem to like people parking in front of their places. It's not hard to find parking a little further away that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

The only 5 part gets me.

But a couple things worth noting. I've been there when rail workers have come through and I've have the range of responses from "That's pretty cool" to "GTFO". When I get the later, I mosey on out.

I know for a fact that the nearest police station is 18min away, and you have a TINY chance of having a cop in the neibourhood. Most calls for trespassing/noise/vandalism/petty shoplifting and other minor shit like that are pretty slow to get a response. The cops will come... eventually.

There's no way this guy and his only 4 friends were in any hurry to respect and leave. Even if the rail guy had his finger on the button when he yelled at the climbers, you're still looking at a long enough wait to pack up and get the fuck out.

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Jul 17, 2012, 6:19 AM)

chossmonkey

Jul 18, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I sure am glad its Jordans Harbor and not Jordan Station.

See guys, you were at the wrong bridge entirely. Jordan Station is where you meant to go. Jordans harbor is no good. Jordan is an asshole and will call the cops no questions asked. The village of Jordan Station will not.

That said, the bridge has never been "open". Its always been keep a low profile, but is seems people have been being anything but.

meanandugly

Jul 19, 2012, 5:24 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed there many times....with cops...lol

meanandugly

Jul 22, 2012, 2:31 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was climbing there today, no problems.

splish

Jul 23, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had 2 incidents at Jordan, one with police and one with a CN Railway Promotions guy.

The first time, I was belaying and noticed an officer standing on the CN Steel bridge watching us. I asked him if we had to leave, he said wait. He walked down, met up with us, let us finish out climb, and then walked us out.
He informed us that a Train Engineer saw us on the tracks and made the call. So we were being asked to leave because we were seen using the tracks for access. Also, during that time, they had many teens having fires and parties down there, so they were enforcing a no tresspassing rule, however they were not to concerned about responsible climbers.

Another time, while down there, a CN Promotions guy was there, looking for places to take photos of the first GO train to go into Niagara. He gave Scott and I a ton of useful information...

1. CN does not own the old bridge, but they do own the property for approx. 20 feet on either side of the new bridge. This does encompass the archways, but not the piers.

2. The only way they can ask us to leave is if they see us on their property. Or crossing their property.

3. Apparently, to facilitate the GO train, and the new hourly GO Train schedule coming in 2015, they will be reinstalling the second set of tracks on the steel bridge. At that time, they will no longer allow hikers to walk across the bridge and will most likely be putting up fencing along the tracks in that entire area.

So basically, we can climb down there, we just have to find a new way in. I saw we build a raft!!!

splish

Jul 24, 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Jordans Harbor Bridge CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Only 5 of you huh?

Actually, the last house on the right, the guy is super nice. We talk to him all the time and have even helped him move his tree when it fell during a storm, (I have a winch on my truck, made it super easy). He loves the good natured climbers, he just asks that we park just in front of the pine tree there, as anything past that is access to his parking spots on his lawn.
On the other side of the street, second house in, a very nice older woman lives there, I believe she is alone. I have only spoken to her on a few short occassions.
I always try to make friends with those people. The CN rail guys have a low chance of spotting us, but those people are there all the time, we need to be buddy buddy with them :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook