RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

climb4free

Jul 16, 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #1 of 20 (21562 views)
Shortcut

Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It is hot now and building my 3rd edition climbing wall is a sweaty endeavor. But when the winter comes, as it always does, I will be ready and my training will continue.

To see version 2.0, click here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...5;page=unread#unread

I did a much better job of planning the details this time around. Last time I measured and cut as I went. This time I busted out my trigonometry skills and calculated every cut down to the 1/8th inch. It is going so much smoother.

Day 1 - Installing Kicker Plates. I used 2x12's. In v2.0 I used 2x8 and they worked great. Just add a bunch of screw on jibs and its golden. The 2x12's are looking even better as my walls are steeper. The 45* wall going in on the far left has an actual framed Kicker just shy of 2 ft. high.

Day 2 - Framed and installed the 23* wall on the far right. Including the additional supports tying it in to the back wall. These horizontal supports second as a framework for the Kids Fort floor that will run all the way through the back of the wall.

I also framed and installed the 28* wall adjacent. And I have preped the ceiling tie-ins for the 45* wall that is coming next.

Attachments: v3.0_23deg.jpg (64.5 KB)
  v3.0_28deg.jpg (39.4 KB)

cyberbackpacker

Jul 16, 2012, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 20 (21535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking good.

SO your 28d wall is only going to be 4ft wide? And where is your 45d going to go? How much vertical gain are you going to have on each wall?

Keep up the good work, and pics! Wink

climb4free

Jul 18, 2012, 2:18 PM
Post #3 of 20 (21482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More progress. Again, I am sooooo glad that I did all the math ahead of time. It makes this not only a smoother project, but everything just fits together so much prettier.

Day 3 - Framed the 45* wall. I only had the help of my 2 year old, so as I was ready to install it, I propped the footing up on the Kicker Panel, then Lifted the top end onto the top of my 6' ladder and worked it into postion. Climbed the ladder and lifted the framing into postition as I screwed it into place.

There will be additional support framwork that forms a floor all the way through and around the corner to create a FORT.

The 2x6's and 2x8's on the ceiling are multi purpose and I am so glad I did it this way. 1st - they spread the load over multiple ceiling joists and give me many more connection points with the top plate. 2nd - the 2x6 top plate has a 1 1/2" gap between the dry wall in 4 places to give amazing finishing spots on this steep wall.

Day 4 (likely tonight) will involve finishing the support framework and hanging plywood. Most of it is already T-nutted from prior walls.

Who wants to come set routes with me??? Wink
Attachments: v3.0_45deg.jpg (11.6 KB)
  v3.0_45side.jpg (11.3 KB)
  v3.0_framed.jpg (12.2 KB)
  v3.0_altview.jpg (11.6 KB)

climb4free

Jul 18, 2012, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 20 (21480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cyberbackpacker] Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cyberbackpacker wrote:
Looking good.

SO your 28d wall is only going to be 4ft wide? And where is your 45d going to go? How much vertical gain are you going to have on each wall?

Keep up the good work, and pics! Wink

Yes, 4' wide. I based this design on getting the most climbable surface for my available footprint (headprint). I had to avoid the garage door rails(far right) and the drop down ladder/entrance to my attic (far left). It also kept things in increments of 4' & 8' other than the 6' - 45* wall, which just so happens to fit much of my current plywood.

My floor to ceiling height is 9'2". The 45* wall has a 2' kicker panel and just shy of 10' of 45* climbing to the top. The 28* wall has a 1' kicker and 9' @ 28*. The 23* wall has a 1' kicker and 8'8" @ 23*.

The transition panel will be about 5'6" at the base.

climb4free

Jul 24, 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 20 (21355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A bit more progress. Since the last update:

Day 4 - Finished the bracing on the 45* & 28* walls and installed additional flooring into most of the fort. This thing is SOLID!

Day 5 - Started installing Plywood. Getting these suckers into place on my own and screwing them down was ... a workout ... to say the least. I will be needing assistance for the next couple sheets of plywood for sure.

Attachments: v3.0_1st_ply.jpg (37.1 KB)
  v3.0_ply_alt.jpg (28.8 KB)

climb4free

Jul 30, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #6 of 20 (21247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Day 6 - Finished off the plywood install on the 45* & 28* walls.

Installed 0*/Vert sidewall on the left of the 45*. I am getting some skateboard grip tape to have a 3" strip at the lip for bumping up the arete.

Installed the bottom half of the transition wall. This "Ninja" wall is the one piece of plywood that has now been utilized in all 3 versions.

Up next is final install of plywood on the 23* wall, the far right arete, and the top half of the transition wall.

(there may be another step after involving an extension, but we'll see)

(This post was edited by climb4free on Jul 30, 2012, 4:16 PM)
Attachments: v3.0_45-30.jpg (28.9 KB)
  v3.0_side_framed.jpg (57.5 KB)
  v3.0_trans.jpg (55.6 KB)

cyberbackpacker

Jul 31, 2012, 2:11 PM
Post #7 of 20 (21198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking good; nice work.

climb4free

Aug 6, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #8 of 20 (21042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

v3.0 is now completed. I may have v3.1 ... 3.2 ... etc. as I add little bits here and there. But this is the core structure.

Now for route setting and CLIMBING!!!

I live in Andover, MN. PM me if you're interested in setting/training with me.
Attachments: v3.0_complete.jpg (51.6 KB)
  v3.0_compalt.jpg (49.5 KB)

climb4free

Sep 13, 2012, 8:46 PM
Post #9 of 20 (20689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well ... I couldn't leave well enough alone.

I cut a hole in the ceiling in a 4' x 4' section to enable me to add some additional height in a few places.

I framed it up to the upper diagonal portions of my trusses to give an additional 2' on the right side, 2-3' on the center section, and 3' on the left side. This gives me the ability to get up to 12' vertical gain.

Then added the necessary plywood.

Just a few final clean-up touches to this as well as locating an install point for my hangboard. I am also going to put up a kiddie top rope anchor for the little ones.
Attachments: v3.0_ext.jpg (59.2 KB)
  v3.0_ext_alt.jpg (44.2 KB)
  v3.0_hole.jpg (49.6 KB)

cyberbackpacker

Sep 13, 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #10 of 20 (20668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Nice... I can relate to wanting to get as much height as possible! How has the climbing on it been going?

climb4free

Sep 14, 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #11 of 20 (20631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cyberbackpacker wrote:
Ha! Nice... I can relate to wanting to get as much height as possible! How has the climbing on it been going?

Its been going really well. I get outside when I can (never as often as I'd prefer). In the garage, the main deal is setting routes. I feel I'm getting better at setting quality. I have really 3 categories that I focus on setting. (1) I have a jug haul endurance circuit that weaves the entire height and width of all the walls, (2) I set specific techniques that I want to work on improving, and (3) I'm setting challenging routes/problems.

I'd love for some others (expert setters or not) to come over and add style variety.

The added height (small as it may be) actually is very useful and FUN.

How about yourself? Did you end up building in your basement. How did it turn out?

(This post was edited by climb4free on Sep 14, 2012, 3:16 PM)

lucky

Sep 17, 2012, 3:22 AM
Post #12 of 20 (20533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I agree. If our walls were anywhere near each other, we could exchange routes. Mine is in CA. I'm in needed another setter.

cyberbackpacker

Sep 17, 2012, 3:32 PM
Post #13 of 20 (20493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb4free wrote:
I feel I'm getting better at setting quality. I have really 3 categories that I focus on setting. (1) I have a jug haul endurance circuit that weaves the entire height and width of all the walls, (2) I set specific techniques that I want to work on improving, and (3) I'm setting challenging routes/problems.

I'd love for some others (expert setters or not) to come over and add style variety.

The added height (small as it may be) actually is very useful and FUN.

Very nice. That is the big thing I am nervous about; the ability to actually set routes that are interesting/challenging that make me want to climb and enjoy it!

climb4free wrote:
How about yourself? Did you end up building in your basement. How did it turn out?

I have not had time to get to "my hobbies" as work and home projects have come first (roofed my house and in the midst of a bathroom remodel-- only one toilet for the family right now, so the remodel is top priority).

That said, I have switched gears and I am going to build in the garage instead. It will get cold in the winter, but I have a nice space heater that does well. Going to build a 10'-12' vertical gain 35d x 8' wide wall with ~18" kicker to start with. In the end, I just think the lack of vertical was going to get to me. So I am going to start small, and then based upon my climbing progression, take it from there. The goal is to definitely have it built by Thanksgiving, but ideally before Nov. 1.

climb4free

Sep 17, 2012, 9:20 PM
Post #14 of 20 (20448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lucky] Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lucky wrote:
I agree. If our walls were anywhere near each other, we could exchange routes. Mine is in CA. I'm in needed another setter.

I've seen pictures of your wall. It is very impressive. I'd have a good time setting & climbing it. The distance is substantial. But I will mentally log that you are out there and if by chance I'm travelling, I'll look you up.

gunkiemike

Sep 26, 2012, 2:12 PM
Post #15 of 20 (20186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cyberbackpacker wrote:
Very nice. That is the big thing I am nervous about; the ability to actually set routes that are interesting/challenging that make me want to climb and enjoy it!

My philosophy after nearly 20 yr of a wall in the garage is that routes don't have to be THAT good. Home woodies are not the place to push your technique by working a problem for weeks/months at a time, as you might do outdoors. The woodie is first and foremost a TRAINING device. So set a dozen or so interesting but do-able routes. Yes, some of them should be hard enough that you can't do them when you're out of shape. None should be so easy that you can use them for a warmup. Your progress is then measured by how many of the routes you can complete is one workout. In my world (ahem, garage), it takes 10-15 training sessions in the spring before I can do the full set of 14 problems. When I reach that level, I figure I'm ready to do routes at my normal level outdoors.

If you can easily do all your routes every time, then you need to either add more problems (esp. if you're endurance training) or bump the difficulty up on a few of them.

The best part is that by training on the same set of routes, you'll have them totally wired. And can therefore sandbag the hell out of your climbing buds when they come over.

climb4free

Sep 26, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #16 of 20 (20158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
cyberbackpacker wrote:

My philosophy after nearly 20 yr of a wall in the garage is that routes don't have to be THAT good. Home woodies are not the place to push your technique by working a problem for weeks/months at a time, as you might do outdoors. The woodie is first and foremost a TRAINING device. So set a dozen or so interesting but do-able routes. Yes, some of them should be hard enough that you can't do them when you're out of shape. None should be so easy that you can use them for a warmup. Your progress is then measured by how many of the routes you can complete is one workout. In my world (ahem, garage), it takes 10-15 training sessions in the spring before I can do the full set of 14 problems. When I reach that level, I figure I'm ready to do routes at my normal level outdoors.

If you can easily do all your routes every time, then you need to either add more problems (esp. if you're endurance training) or bump the difficulty up on a few of them.

The best part is that by training on the same set of routes, you'll have them totally wired. And can therefore sandbag the hell out of your climbing buds when they come over.

Ya, I don't think we're that far off here. Mainly, by quality I mean, realistic flow & movement. Avoiding contrived and choppy. I really like your idea that once a problem is: a) good flow & b) wired, to make minor adjustments in the size of holds, orientation of the holds, etc. to incrementally increase difficulty without re-inventing the wheel.

I'm also getting a lot out of finding specific techniques that I suck at and setting different variations that focus on them.

But again, I have my particular climbing style, so I know that contributes to my setting style. Variety of styles is the optimal state, IMO.

Syd

Nov 3, 2012, 3:31 AM
Post #17 of 20 (19443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have a 2 yr old son. I've been thinking about building something in the garage but height and space is very limited. I've also wondered whether it should be more for me or more slabby for my son.

cpowers15

Nov 5, 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #18 of 20 (19324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice wall! I love what you're doing with the space up into the ceiling (making me think about the crawl space above my garage)

climb4free

Nov 5, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #19 of 20 (19313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Version 3.0 - MN Garage Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
I also have a 2 yr old son. I've been thinking about building something in the garage but height and space is very limited. I've also wondered whether it should be more for me or more slabby for my son.

My sons progressed beyond vertical very early on. At the speed that they grow up, I'd say start around 15* past vertical and progress from there.

climb4free

Jul 8, 2013, 2:29 PM
Post #20 of 20 (16630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another small, but pretty cool addition to the garage wall.

http://realworldclimbing.com/.../skateshop_solution/

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook