Forums: Climbing Information: General:
If you could climb anywhere in the world, where would you go?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

SkahaBob

Jul 21, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1673 views)
Shortcut

If you could climb anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all.
I am trying to arrange a climbing trip for my girlfriend's birthday and I was wondering if someone has an absolute favorite place on earth or if they know places that are supposed to be awesome! We are climbing sport on lead and top rope so awesome places with trad is not a thing for us just yet :)

I climb 5.8 - 5.10b and she climbs high 5.10 to 5.11b (Canada Scale)

If you had absolutely no limitations when it comes to locations and you could go any time of the year, where would your utopia walls be? If you suggest a place, could you please also let me know what time of year woud be better to climb there as well?

thanks!
Bob

DougMartin

Jul 21, 2012, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkahaBob] If you could climb anywhere in the world, where would you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

New River Gorge! Enough of everything for everyone!

jp_sucks

Jul 21, 2012, 9:13 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkahaBob] If you could climb anywhere in the world, where would you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thailand, spain, france?

dagibbs

Jul 22, 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

El Potrero Chico, Mexico. Lots and lots of awesome multi-pitch sport. (And, some good single-pitch sport, too.)

Time of year: generally late-November through March.

guangzhou

Jul 22, 2012, 5:15 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Re: If you could climb anywhere in the world, where would you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on how much time and budget.

Because you limited to sport climbing:

Poterao
Spain
France
Kalymos
Thailand

With a tight budget coming form Canada, consider Smith Rock or Rumney in New Hampshire. (Of the two I prefer RUmney)

SkahaBob

Jul 22, 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

If you could climb anywhere in the world, where would you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DougMartin:
Thank you.
That is New River Gorge in West Virginia, right? Is it in the national park or where exactly is it? any particular time of year I should consider? I heard Kentucky has some fantastic climbs as well.

jp_sucks:
Thanks. I hear Thailand has some great climbs and I guess there is a reason many great climbers come from mid/south of Europe ;) Do you have any precise locations in Thailand, Spain and France that I should look into?

dagibbs:
Thanks!
I will add this to my "check out further" :)

guangzhou:
Thanks!
I did have to limit it to sport because of our style unfortunately. She has been climbing some trad, but I am slowly getting myself out of the beginner stage of sport so we have to stay here for a little while :) Budget and travel distance is not in the equation yet. I will actually not leave from Canada, but Scandinavia so Europe is also accessible. Also, do you have any specific locations you know about in the countries you listed?

thank you so much for replying. I have experience in East and West of Canada, but not much around the world so getting help from you who have climbed other places and are more experienced :)

(This post was edited by SkahaBob on Jul 22, 2012, 12:36 PM)

sonso45

Jul 24, 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Biggest problem you are going to have is that most of the sport climbing in the more popular areas worldwide are lacking in easier sport routes. You and her will be having fun on harder routes so start getting out more and you will enjoy Mexico, France, Spain, and Thailand. This site will get you to all the info the previous posters mentioned.

Potrero Chico is near Monterey, Mx and has quite a bit of your level of climbing. In the holidays it can get crowded and unsafe due to rockfall on those routes (from climbers above); France's Verdon is the best in my opinion and great spring and fall but we found the summer sun ok if we began early. Monserrat is huge and near Barcelona from which you can make a lot of trips to great rock. Thailand is wonderful in winter with Tonsai and Chiang Mai becoming the places to go. I like Chiang Mai better, the bolts aren't as scary.

Have fun and be safe.

satch

Aug 6, 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The New River gorge area is in Fayetteville, WV. It includes the New, the Meadow River, Summersville and the Gauley River areas. About 2500 routes - get the Williams guide. If you go, Sept/Oct is the best time, although you can climb there year round.

If you can go anywhere and really want to wow your girlfriend - take her to Chamonix, France. Need about a month there for an ideal trip - July and August are best for alpine rock, June for the valley crags. See my trip report a few years back for more info.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook