Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Cams
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


Reachforit


Jun 14, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #1 of 26 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Posts: 20

Cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Anybody have any experience with the "Wired Bliss" Cams out or Arizona? Was looking for new gear and was wanting to support "Made in America" products. Thanks for the input.

H.


yodadave


Jun 15, 2012, 4:00 PM
Post #2 of 26 (6243 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 10, 2008
Posts: 510

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have some of their old ones and I've held their new ones. I like them both. They aren't the flashiest lightest etc but they feel super solid and they are good value for money in my opinion.


majid_sabet


Jun 15, 2012, 6:46 PM
Post #3 of 26 (6215 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8347

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

they are ok


sungam


Jun 16, 2012, 5:04 AM
Post #4 of 26 (6154 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26577

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have some of their old ones (before they started producing again). They are good.


Partner j_ung


Jun 16, 2012, 6:35 AM
Post #5 of 26 (6141 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Reachforit wrote:
Anybody have any experience with the "Wired Bliss" Cams out or Arizona? Was looking for new gear and was wanting to support "Made in America" products. Thanks for the input.

H.

I love 'em. A tried and true design produced by a great company, IMO.


Reachforit


Jun 16, 2012, 2:02 PM
Post #6 of 26 (6080 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Posts: 20

Re: [majid_sabet] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nice Reply, coming from experience I assume?


Reachforit


Jun 16, 2012, 2:05 PM
Post #7 of 26 (6078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Posts: 20

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the helpful input, was reading some reviews, I am looking into buying a few to try out. Thanks again for all your input. Cheers!

H.


jeepnphreak


Jun 16, 2012, 8:16 PM
Post #8 of 26 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Posts: 1259

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like them. They have the softer aluminium the the old chh aliens were made of. They bite hard and are great for aid.
Iwould have to venture a gues that they may not be quite as durable as the harder al cams like bd or metolius. But up fot two seasons now my wb cams have been great.


scott.nearing


Jun 17, 2012, 7:22 PM
Post #9 of 26 (5943 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 29, 2010
Posts: 48

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

from Colorado?

http://www.wiredblissusa.com/

I'll get at least one to check them out.


guangzhou


Jun 17, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #10 of 26 (5935 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [scott.nearing] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have some from way back, I doubt they changed muc. Good cams overall.

Not sure I would buy any product just because it's "Made in America." I tend to buy the best product available for the price I can afford.


scott.nearing


Jun 18, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #11 of 26 (5819 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 29, 2010
Posts: 48

Re: [guangzhou] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

made in the US is something I consider but I've got 7 of the infamous Ukrainian cams. I like them but have only bounce tested them so far.

quicker shipping with a good price is a key decision point


Reachforit


Jun 22, 2012, 9:31 PM
Post #12 of 26 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Posts: 20

Re: [guangzhou] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You buy what you want for your own reasons, I will buy what I want for MY own reasons.........Nuff Said.


guangzhou


Jun 23, 2012, 8:56 PM
Post #13 of 26 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I agree, buy for your own reason. I just don't place importance on where the cams were made compared to how they perform.

I also have to wonder, were these cams recently made, or were they just pulled from a connex storage area.

Again, I have some on my rack, they are roughly 20 years old and I like them. I prefer the Black Diamond Camelot personally and they are made in China. I also think that Trango make excellent cams and they are made in Korea.

Evolve makes wonderful shoes that are now manufacture in Korea. Made in America isn't my priority when buying; quality performance is.


Partner j_ung


Jun 24, 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #14 of 26 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [guangzhou] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I agree, buy for your own reason. I just don't place importance on where the cams were made compared to how they perform.

I also have to wonder, were these cams recently made, or were they just pulled from a connex storage area.

Again, I have some on my rack, they are roughly 20 years old and I like them. I prefer the Black Diamond Camelot personally and they are made in China. I also think that Trango make excellent cams and they are made in Korea.

Evolve makes wonderful shoes that are now manufacture in Korea. Made in America isn't my priority when buying; quality performance is.

Hell, you're just buying local! Laugh


irregularpanda


Jun 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #15 of 26 (5237 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [jeepnphreak] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
I like them. They have the softer aluminium the the old chh aliens were made of. They bite hard and are great for aid.
Iwould have to venture a gues that they may not be quite as durable as the harder al cams like bd or metolius. But up fot two seasons now my wb cams have been great.

First off, they used the TCU design before metolius. Secondly, I think the soft aluminum is just as durable, unless you take 30 massive falls on the same cam.
Third, are they actually softer aluminum?

Great cams, love em. Wouldn't buy the 4 lobe designs. I prefer them for the smaller end stuff.


guangzhou


Jun 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #16 of 26 (5225 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [j_ung] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I agree, buy for your own reason. I just don't place importance on where the cams were made compared to how they perform.

I also have to wonder, were these cams recently made, or were they just pulled from a connex storage area.

Again, I have some on my rack, they are roughly 20 years old and I like them. I prefer the Black Diamond Camelot personally and they are made in China. I also think that Trango make excellent cams and they are made in Korea.

Evolve makes wonderful shoes that are now manufacture in Korea. Made in America isn't my priority when buying; quality performance is.

Hell, you're just buying local! Laugh

I don't live in China anymore, but touche. As for buying gear, I have not bought any climbing gear in a long time, just seems to come my way for free.

On the business front, that's a different story, but I do look at where the gear ships from when I consider working with a new line. I represent a rope company from France, so location isn't my priority. I just think they make great ropes.


acorneau


Jun 25, 2012, 6:06 AM
Post #17 of 26 (5199 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [irregularpanda] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Third, are they actually softer aluminum?


Wired Bliss: 6061-T6 aluminum

Metolius: 7075-T6 aluminum


jeepnphreak


Jun 27, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #18 of 26 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Posts: 1259

Re: [irregularpanda] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:
I like them. They have the softer aluminium the the old chh aliens were made of. They bite hard and are great for aid.
Iwould have to venture a gues that they may not be quite as durable as the harder al cams like bd or metolius. But up fot two seasons now my wb cams have been great.

First off, they used the TCU design before metolius. Secondly, I think the soft aluminum is just as durable, unless you take 30 massive falls on the same cam.
Third, are they actually softer aluminum?

Great cams, love em. Wouldn't buy the 4 lobe designs. I prefer them for the smaller end stuff.


Yes they are softer AL. Two reasons I can tell with out actually knowing the numbers. first they stick better. I have had BD cams slip on this aid where the wired bliss have just been solid.
and second the lobs do scratch easeir than met or bd cams. Just the surface mars up easier.
But I still love them, great cams


Marylandclimber


Jul 23, 2012, 5:40 PM
Post #19 of 26 (4308 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 3, 2011
Posts: 224

Re: [Reachforit] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I don't know anything about these cams but I think it's best to just stick with cams that everyone knows and not try cams you havn't heard of. Theres a thread somewhere about a cam braking and somebody falling to their death.


dindolino32


Jul 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #20 of 26 (4268 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 3, 2008
Posts: 155

Re: [Marylandclimber] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

and if you dont know any cams, then ur screwed and your gonna DIE


scott.nearing


Jul 24, 2012, 4:28 AM
Post #21 of 26 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 29, 2010
Posts: 48

Re: [Marylandclimber] Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know as much about these cams as any that I have not held in my hand and think it is best to consider all products offered when shopping. You can not be sure what people truly know and people will say what comes to mind for various reasons, without having a knowledge base to base their assertion on. Is there a thread anywhere about someone falling to their death involving one of this company's cams?


billcoe_


Jul 24, 2012, 9:11 AM
Post #22 of 26 (4203 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4668

Wired Bliss Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
I don't know anything about these cams but I think it's best to just stick with cams that everyone knows and not try cams you havn't heard of. Theres a thread somewhere about a cam braking and somebody falling to their death.


Don't say shit like that unless you know for sure what you are talking about. There is no need to slam an excellent product when you don't know shit from shinola.

To the OP on the original question: if you read Jeepnphreaks posts you'll be fine. Wired Bliss are excellent cams, very very high quality, smooth as butter actions and as Aconor accurately describes above, softer aluminum and thus stick better. WB and Metolius have a shallower cam angle, and thus stick better than Camalots to begin with based on cam angle alone. Furthermore, they are lighter weight, meaning that on long routes you can carry and extra cam and still have less weight dangling off of you. The trade off is less range, especially as they have a single axle. Wired Bliss was started by climber Steve Byrne when he invented the 3 cam unit. Later after Metolius had commercialized the design, he went into business as Wired Bliss selling them as well. He sold out years back, but the cams are identical. I own the 4 cam units and just got a set of WB tcus a few months ago. I had climbed on some of the very first cams Steve had made in the 80s, and the new stuff is the equal to that top notch product. Great product then, great product now.

For myself, I've been climbing 40 years, and have used or own @ 95% of the cams currently in production.


billcoe_


Jul 24, 2012, 9:12 AM
Post #23 of 26 (4202 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4668

Re: [billcoe_] Wired Bliss Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

PS, no longer in Ariz. they moved to Loveland, Colo a while ago.

In reply to:
http://www.wiredblissusa.com/


acorneau


Jul 24, 2012, 1:17 PM
Post #24 of 26 (4159 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [billcoe_] Wired Bliss Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
... and as Aconor accurately describes above, softer aluminum...


Wow. Thanks for getting my name right.

Tongue


billcoe_


Jul 25, 2012, 6:33 AM
Post #25 of 26 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4668

Re: [acorneau] Wired Bliss Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry, my fingers were flying and spell checking your name won't work.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook