RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ninepointeight

Jul 25, 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Cordlette Overkill
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I notice most climbers at the Gunks are carrying 7 or 8mm nylon cordlettes. 6mm nylon accessory cord is usually at least 7.5kN. Sterling's product is rated 8.8kN single strand.

If your building anchors with it, doubled up and knotted for each leg, your talking about 11+kN strength per leg of your anchor (13+ for sterling).

Why go bigger?

(This post was edited by ninepointeight on Jul 25, 2012, 2:44 PM)

acorneau

Jul 25, 2012, 2:53 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninepointeight] Cordlette Overkill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ninepointeight wrote:
I notice most climbers at the Gunks are carrying 7 or 8mm nylon cordlettes. 6mm nylon accessory cord is usually at least 7.5kN. Sterling's product is rated 8.8kN single strand.

If your building anchors with it, doubled up and knotted for each leg, your talking about 11+kN strength per leg of your anchor (13+ for sterling).

Why go bigger?

Larger cord will take abuse better. Any rubbing on a rock edge will chew through a smaller cord faster than a larger cord.

That being said, my cordelette is 7mm which I feel is the best compromise between burliness and bulkiness/weight.

I do have a longer 8mm cord which I might take out with me if I know I'll need to set up some top-rope anchors that might be farther back from the edge, but it's not something I carry regularly.

Partner rgold

Jul 25, 2012, 3:20 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninepointeight] Cordlette Overkill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

For people who use them all the time, 7mm seems to have become standard because you good strength and resistance to wear. 8mm is ridiculous for multipitch climbing; that's a half-rope diameter nowadays, and probably too big to use effectively for prusiking and other self-rescue operations. As a top-roping anchor in situations where carrying weight and bulk do not matter, the bigger the better I guess.

Personally, I use cordelettes very rarely and consider a 6mm cordelette perfectly adequate for the occasions I use it.

chris

Aug 7, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Cordlette Overkill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
For people who use them all the time, 7mm seems to have become standard because you good strength and resistance to wear. 8mm is ridiculous for multipitch climbing; that's a half-rope diameter nowadays, and probably too big to use effectively for prusiking and other self-rescue operations. As a top-roping anchor in situations where carrying weight and bulk do not matter, the bigger the better I guess.

Personally, I use cordelettes very rarely and consider a 6mm cordelette perfectly adequate for the occasions I use it.

Ditto. Plus a 6mm cord rolls up tighter and smaller than 7mm. The cost to replace is so negligible that I don't mind replacing it more often than I would with 7mm.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook